The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Veterans > Veterans Benefits

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-26-2004, 04:55 AM

Send a message via AIM to SparrowHawk62 Send a message via Yahoo to SparrowHawk62
Default Property Tax Exemption

Well, I finally got off my butt and went to my Town Hall. When I bought my house back in 1990, I applied for a Vet Tax Exemption.
I was denied this exemption because I wasn't a Vet! Funny but some how I thought serving in the Navy for eight years qualified me.
Some time passed and I needed my DD-214 for various things. It was pointed out to me that I have a few mistakes on my DD-214 and should have them corrected. One of the things not on my DD-214 was a second Navy Expeditionary Medal. I wrote for information in 2000, in 2002 I got my answer. Yes, the USS Independence had been awarded a second Medal with in my time frame.
I only needed one to qualify for membership in the American Legion, NYS Retirement Military Service Credit, Vet credit on Civil Service tests. I know had proof of two.
I have been working on a claim for Service Connected PTSD and tinnitus. The PTSD may also be an under lying reason for the recent loss of my job. So being as I am out of work at this time, my free time has greatly increased.
Off to my Town Hall I did travel, DD-214 member copy 4, amended additions to my DD-214, the medal itself, two curise books with my smileing face in them, and the form needed for the exemption all in hand.
This time I had no problems getting my much over due exemption, it could be 15 to 25% worths of a reduction.
I feel a bit better now. So the next project is to see if NYS will give me a disability retirement.
Looks good that Uncle will give me something for the PTSD.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2004, 01:26 PM

For any New Jersey veterans lurking about. If you have combat time indicated on your DD-214 you automatically qualify for a $250.00 per year reduction of your property tax. All you need to do is download the form from the NJ website, attach a COPY of your DD-214 and a COPY of any document that can establish ownership of the porperty (a Mortgage Payment receipt will do)
Over the period of the average 30 year mortgage you can have the state pick up $7,500 of the principal towards your mortgage.
Or......you can pi$$ it away by buying $250.00 worth of beer every year.
Old 09-23-2004, 04:54 PM

Send a message via AIM to SparrowHawk62 Send a message via Yahoo to SparrowHawk62

Well, there is some hope that the local government cares about us Vets. My property tax exemption is based on being a Vet 15%, the Navy Expedition Medal earns another 10%, being a disabled vet earns half of the awarded disability amount so that's another 20%! Total my tax bill has almost been cut in half at a 45% exemption.
Sure is worth looking into..
SparrowHawk62 has attached this image:

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown
Old 10-18-2005, 02:36 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to LRP1

Arkansas is a little different - I get 100% credit on my property and personal taxes every year - get the "exemption" letter from VA around the first of every year. Arkansas does not give tax breaks to DAV's with less than 100% - wish it did for a lot of my friends sake. Same with vehicle lic - DV tags are free - again - 100%. Billy the Kid did not do this - started long before he was Gov.

RLTW
Satans Playboys
From Hell We Rise
Old 10-20-2005, 03:33 AM

Unhappy

Murph!!!!!!!!!!!! I am deeply saddened and hurt that you consider investing 250.00 a year in beer pissing it away, especially when technically it is uncle sugars money to begin with. Yuck, Yuck!!