The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-31-2003, 05:46 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Looking for poetry...

From Bad to Verse
"The White House said Wednesday it postponed a poetry symposium because of concerns that the event would be politicized," the Associated Press reports. "Some poets had said they wanted to protest military action against Iraq."

This is an excellent move on the White House's part. The symposium was scheduled for Feb. 12, a date a group called Poets Against the War had proclaimed "a day of poetry against the war." Purusing the site more deeply, though, it becomes clear that antiwar impostors have infiltrated the poetry business. This page features "a first small sample of the hundreds of poems submitted over the past week by poets from the U.S. and many other countries." Here's an excerpt from a work by one Adrienne Rich:

One: I don't know where your mother
is Two: I don't know
why they are trying to hurt us
Three: or the latitude and longitude
of their hatred Four: I don't know if we
hate them as much I think there's more toilet paper
in the supply closet I'm going to break it open

We've never heard of Adrienne Rich, but how can she claim to be a poet? This stuff doesn't even rhyme! But let's face it, those who think Saddam should remain in power are a tiny minority, so it's no wonder Poets Against the War had such trouble finding any actual poets who accept this view. It did inspire us, though, to write a little pro-war limerick:

There once was a thug named Saddam
Who desired a nuclear bomb
But then President Bush
Kicked Saddam in the tush
And deposed him with quite some aplomb

Does the muse inspire you? If you have some good original pro-war verse, e-mail it to us at opinionjournal@wsj.com, and if we get enough good submissions, we'll publish them in time for Feb. 12--"a day of poetry for the war."
Old 01-31-2003, 10:44 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default When the war is over...

and the size and magnitude of the demonic-depravity of the 25+ year Saddam Hussein regime is displayed ( much as the Pol Pot depravities were...altho conveniently forgotten now by the American-hating-at-all-cost- leftists ), this folk of little intelligence, common sense, and believe it or not, knowledge will scurry back under the rocks they came out from...But don't worry, they will reappear the next time our brave sons and daughter are called upon to defend their stupid asses, and have you believe once again, that our country is as evil as the enemy we seek to destroy !

larry ... just ... larry

DEO VINDICE