Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-03-2002, 07:23 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Go get a rope...

...after trial...
...I'll try to paste this...

Customize your news headlines with the My AT&T personalized start page feature.

SEARCH THE WEB Advanced Search White Pages Maps
Web Site Directory Yellow Pages

NEWS HOME TOP NEWS BUSINESS POLITICS ENTERTAINMENT INTERNATIONAL SPORTS SCIENCE

HOME / NEWS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ex-Nurse Charged in 10 Deaths at VA Hospital
Updated 5:50 PM ET June 3, 2002

COLUMBIA, Mo. (Reuters) - Missouri officials Monday charged a former nurse at a veterans hospital with killing 10 patients there in 1992, saying new evidence had surfaced in the long-standing investigation.

Boone County Prosecuting Attorney Kevin Crane said Richard Williams, 36, was arrested in St. Louis in connection with the deaths at Harry Truman Veteran's Hospital in Columbia and was being held in the county jail in Columbia.

"In recent months the continuing investigation with agents of the Department of Veterans Affairs Office of the Inspector General, assisted by the FBI, led to evidence explaining the cause of these 10 deaths," Crane said.

"The cause of the deaths together with the facts surrounding them enabled this prosecution to proceed," he added.

Over the course of five years, the FBI investigated 43 deaths that occurred at the hospital in 1992, all on the floor where Williams worked. It concluded that 11 of them were suspicious and 22 others were "moderately" suspicious but said at that time there was not enough evidence to charge anyone.

Crane said Williams was charged with 10 counts of first degree murder but he did not comment on what the motive for the alleged slayings might have been. Most of the deaths were believed to have been caused by drug overdoses.

Williams has been under suspicion from the start, but has publicly denied causing the deaths.

In the summer of 1998 Judge Nanette Loughrey of the U.S. District Court in St. Louis awarded the widow of one of those who died $450,000 in a wrongful death suit, saying the hospital was negligent in allowing Williams to care for patients.

The judge said that the preponderance of evidence presented at the trial indicated Williams was responsible for the death that triggered the suit.

SHOP TODAY

SPONSORS

WEB CHANNELS

? Autos
? Careers
? Entertainment
? Finance
? Health
? Horoscopes
? News
? Parenting ? Radio
? Software
? Shopping
? Sports
? Travel
? Video
? Weather

News Home | Top News | Business | Politics | Entertainment | International | Sports | Science

Return to Homepage Member Services Write to Us Keeping Kids Safe Advertise with Us

Copyright 2002 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication and redissemination of the contents of this screen are expressly prohibited without Reuters prior written consent.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Terms and Conditions. AT&T Online Privacy Policy. AT&T WorldNet i495 & 7/7 Privacy Policy.
Copyright 2002. AT&T. All Rights Reserved.

...A big wow, and go get him...

Tom "ANDY" Andrzejczyk

sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links