The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-17-2002, 02:04 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Question Welcome Home Day

I just found this.

I have no other information. Does anyone know more?

About Us
The Welcome Home Day Foundation (WHDF) is a non-profit, 501(c)(3) corporation, inaugurated in 1999 by non-veterans. Our mission is to acknowledge our Vietnam Veterans by finally welcoming them home in a one-time national event to be held in the Fall of 2003, designed to bring our Nation together in reconciliation over this controversial conflict. This National Event will also attribute collateral recognition to the Veteran?s families for their silent, albeit, very real sacrifices.

The WHDF has already received official proclamations of support from twenty-five State?s Governors and several celebrity endorsements.
http://welcomehomeday.org/nav/about_hm.htm
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-2002, 07:54 PM

Default Haven't seen a thing....

I haven't seen anything...but I would be curious to see what it amounts to.... I have a skeptical bone or two....and am curious if this will be a gratuitous situation..
Old 07-19-2002, 05:53 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Don't have the energy

right now to look into this, but I am always skeptical about these sorts of things. Obviously feelings left over from how we were treated 30+ years ago.

I'll try and hit up some contacts for some info. If it's legit, then grrrrreat! If not, well and so it goes.

Packo

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
Old 07-19-2002, 06:00 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Just checked out the Web Site

Looks kinda hokey to me. Celebs on board, Don Johnson and Robert Wagner.......ahh are they still alive?

They certainly want donations......think I'll pass for awhile until I check it further.

Packo

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
Old 07-19-2002, 07:38 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Too many "Memorial" projects or functions have been just a money maker for those who thought it up.

That's why I posted it. Not support just a question as to should we support this or warn people off?
Old 07-30-2002, 07:05 PM

I took a look at the website.....I'm not exactly impressed. Underwhelmed is more like it.

I sense that because there is no obvious link to the "founders" of this "tax exempt" organization, that it is a moneymaker contrived to line someones pockets......

I don't know about you, but I think a "national welcome home day".....30 years after the end of the war...to bring about "reconcilliation" is a bit much.......

I had my "Welcome Home" when I got off the jet in Oakland after 28 months in-country. My family welcomed me home...as did my friends. I haven't spent too much time thinking about our detractors.

Also, I have had "fellow VietNam Vets" welcome me home.....and thats good enough for me.

If anybody on this site is out in Los Angeles, they can go down to Santa Monica Blvd and check them out and let us know whats-up