The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-16-2024, 10:27 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default On The Road Again

1-16-2024

Maybe the lure of the open road is just so overpowering that it hypnotically draws an individual (like an opiate, or even a moth to an open flame) to “Our Nation’s Highways?” Or could it just be an ancient throwback to those times long past - that instills within a man’s spirit an insatiable hunger to pound-out the miles in search of new horizons, and to let the wheels of his rolling stock thunder over portions of the road that his eyes (and his soul) had never seen before!

But whatever it is, there is an indescribable hunger there that even those with years of wanderlust under their belts, can not describe, or even explain away? As well as that gnawing pain to perpetually see just what it is that is hidden just beyond the next horizon?
And unless you have personally experienced it yourself, you will never be able to describe this phenomenon to any sedentary-soul who is quite content to merely pound the ‘same’ pavement, (day in and day out), until time and age itself puts an abrupt ending to his hunger and to his insatiable curiosity!!

Of course, there are always those out there who say that a career on the road is a tedious and disruptive way to make a living? Or that it is an existence of stinking truck stops, the shop-worn ladies that frequent them, the smoke-filled and often noisy terminals that dot our highways, and the faces of your fellow road warriors that never seem to change (save for that new wrinkle or two that dots the suntanned brows of those other well-seasoned gentlemen of the road)!

It is still a matter of fact, however, that life upon the open highways eventually evolves to the point where one wonders “ – “Just why in the ‘Hell’ are you do it anyway?” Until after numerous bouts of the clap - the shinny side of your rig ends-up in some ditch, and either ‘Nature’ or time itself puts an abrupt ending to your wanderlust, and maybe even your life as well?

But yet, the trucks rumble on, until that day finally arrives when one of those short cat-naps along “Our Nation’s Highways”, opens up into a whole new (and gleaming) spectrum of eternity –

“And So It Is!” As Old Truckers, and An Old Warrior As Well, Always Do Share The Same Highways and The Same Final Outcomes In Life - “Do They Not?!”

Hardcore
Old 01-17-2024, 02:37 AM

Default Time marches on - faster then you realize at times.

Yea HC - in my past I also drove semi's. Flat Beds - Tanker's - and container's. Coast to coast for several years after getting out of the service.
-
Single driver and at times dual drivers on long hauls.
-
Good money but I hardly got home to see the wife and kids. But I did pay the bills on time and my wife I called
my minister of finance handled all the money & and still does to this day.
-
After that I got my degree as a Rotating Equipment and Field Engineer for troubleshooting. Took me around the world -
but the pay was good.
-
Trouble is I didn't get a pension from either of them - one went under and blew our pension monies. I had to 20 consecutive
years. Worked two jobs also at times - and still to this day I still get calls to work overseas. I wish I could still work - but the
wife is handicapped as I've mentioned. So many times I've been called - but the Wife means more to me.
-
I miss the old days - now retired and no pensions (SS only) really hurts - living now on our savings - thank God the wife
handled the money! Still to this day - I get an allowance each week. But that won't last forever - so we are just getting
by now on a budget system. No travels - no christmas dinners - and I do all the shopping from her list of things.
She's afraid of the doctors as they want to put her in the hospital - but she won't go - she's afraid she won't come
back home. (She's scared) there is no fix and meds that make her loopy or sick. So we deal each day as they come.
-
God be with you All - as they say nobody lives forever - so it's been written! Where did all that time go?!
-
Boats

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote