by: 1st Lt. David Liapis
39th Air Base Wing PAO
published: April 06, 2013

Share This:

Tweet

Comments
Email
Print

INCIRLIK AIR BASE, Turkey -- Finance. Comptroller squadron. Whatever you want to call them, they are probably one of the most loved and hated functions in the Air Force.

When things are going well with our pay and allowances, we have good thoughts about our financial gurus. But when something goes wrong, it's a different story! I'd be lying if I said I have not, at some point in my career, said a certain word with disdain in my voice while sitting in the waiting area holding some form with a bunch of numbers and dollar signs on it - "Finance!!!" Admit it, you've been there, too.

The next time you're tempted to take their name in vain, consider this: their career field has undergone significant changes in structure and has endured manning reductions over the past couple of years. One of the justifications for significantly thinning the ranks within the field is because a number of finance functions have been made available online.

If someone were to put you in a room full of cash and told you to help yourself (all on the up and up, of course), would you? The Air Force has created a "room" on the Air Force Portal where you can access a multitude of information such as rates (Basic Housing Allowance, Overseas Housing Allowance, etc), regulation references, rate calculators (Permanent Change of Station, Temporary Living Allowance, terminal leave, leave sell back, final separation, etc). Are you going to help yourself now?

The point is this: if you've found yourself bemoaning the apparent lack of timely customer service in the finance office, realize they're doing less with less just like the rest of us. The intention was to have us wean ourselves from the comptroller's waiting room and link us up with all of the self-help options on the Internet.

"This doesn't mean you shouldn't still use your local Finance office if you need clarification or advice," says Master Sgt. Melody Jackson, 39th CPTS Financial Services flight chief. "This is just another means to get information."

The Virtual Finance page can be found on the Air Force Portal on the left side of the main page in the "Top Links" tab as well as in the "Life and Career" tab at the top of the page.

Tags: Air Force Portal, Comptrollers, Customer Service, Finance, RAF Alconbury, RAF Croughton, RAF Fairford, RAF Lakenheath, RAF Mildenhall, RAF Molesworth, News
Related Content:

Watch your mouth!

by: 1st Lt. David Liapis
39th Air Base Wing PAO
published:

Share This:

Tweet

Comments
Email
Print

INCIRLIK AIR BASE, Turkey -- Finance. Comptroller squadron. Whatever you want to call them, they are probably one of the most loved and hated functions in the Air Force.

When things are going well with our pay and allowances, we have good thoughts about our financial gurus. But when something goes wrong, it's a different story! I'd be lying if I said I have not, at some point in my career, said a certain word with disdain in my voice while sitting in the waiting area holding some form with a bunch of numbers and dollar signs on it - "Finance!!!" Admit it, you've been there, too.

The next time you're tempted to take their name in vain, consider this: their career field has undergone significant changes in structure and has endured manning reductions over the past couple of years. One of the justifications for significantly thinning the ranks within the field is because a number of finance functions have been made available online.

If someone were to put you in a room full of cash and told you to help yourself (all on the up and up, of course), would you? The Air Force has created a "room" on the Air Force Portal where you can access a multitude of information such as rates (Basic Housing Allowance, Overseas Housing Allowance, etc), regulation references, rate calculators (Permanent Change of Station, Temporary Living Allowance, terminal leave, leave sell back, final separation, etc). Are you going to help yourself now?

The point is this: if you've found yourself bemoaning the apparent lack of timely customer service in the finance office, realize they're doing less with less just like the rest of us. The intention was to have us wean ourselves from the comptroller's waiting room and link us up with all of the self-help options on the Internet.

"This doesn't mean you shouldn't still use your local Finance office if you need clarification or advice," says Master Sgt. Melody Jackson, 39th CPTS Financial Services flight chief. "This is just another means to get information."

The Virtual Finance page can be found on the Air Force Portal on the left side of the main page in the "Top Links" tab as well as in the "Life and Career" tab at the top of the page.

Tags: Air Force Portal, Comptrollers, Customer Service, Finance, RAF Alconbury, RAF Croughton, RAF Fairford, RAF Lakenheath, RAF Mildenhall, RAF Molesworth, News
Related Content:

More...
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links