The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Closed Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 02:34 PM

Send a message via AIM to 82Rigger
Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Camp Crockett was on the northwestern edge of the Ft Gordon complex near Leitner Pond just off Gibson Road.

Camp Crockett was the 7th Battalion training area.

B-8-3 was 8th Battalion and was on main post, about 10 miles from Camp Crockett.

Steve / 82Rigger
sendpm.gif
Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-2009, 04:53 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Hmmmmmmmmm?

The "silence" is deafening!

Gimp

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

"I ain't no fortunate son"--CCR

"We have shared the incommunicable experience of war..........We have felt - we still feel - the passion of life to its top.........In our youth our hearts were touched with fire"

Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.
sendpm.gif
Old 10-01-2009, 09:41 AM

Default Farmboy

All,

I'm new here and chances are none of you know me. I just want to jump in and say that Farmboy is who he says he is. I have heard from many people who knew him from SF both stateside, and in country.

During the time he was in, the 2 in the MOS meant E4 and 4 was E5. I too was recruited in AIT by SF. In March or April it was announced to us that the age for SF had been dropped from 19 to 18 1/2 and if any of us wanted to take the tests to see if we were qualified to start SF training, as long as we were RA and would be 18 1/2 by July of 68.

They gave the tests after training hours and if my memory serves me correctly the tests took most of the night. Not everyone who took the test passed. When I got to Training Group I was 18 1/2 and a PFC. Most of the guys in training group were in the same boat. I knew guys that were recruited from Basic. I guess Sam was hard up for SF at that time. Actually during that time it seemed that most of the youngsters in the Army were drafted and only doing 2 years. Very few were enlisting. If you remember Viet Nam was not a popular war and patriotism was almost none existent in this country.

I know for sure that at least from 1968 to 1970 one could go to SF right after finishing Basic, AIT and Jump School as long they were 18 1/2 years old, had at least 2 years to go until their ETS and passed the qualification test. Being qualified to go to SFTG didn't mean you were going to graduate. You still had 6 months to a year of training to go through, giving you plenty of opportunity to fail or quit.

There is a difference between being in a SF unit and being SF qualified. Some old SFers get very touchy when someone claims to be a "Green Beret" who actually isn't. Just as some of you would get pretty pissed if I claimed to have a CIB when I never left US soil.

I think this conflict between Farmboy and some of you is just a matter of semantics. I remember in some Infantry AIT units they were referred to Airborne Infantry Training. This, I think, was used to pump the guys up in order to produce stronger, more gung ho soldiers. The actual airborne training didn't come until they got to Jump School at Benning.

To me any man or woman who serves this country is a hero. No one has to inflate their image to impress me. Remember the military isn't the highest paying or easiest job out there. It takes a rare breed to join and an even rarer breed to make it a career.

For those of you who served in Viet Nam, whether you were drafted or enlisted, I want to say, Welcome Home and thank you for your service. The people of this country can't do enough for you to make up for what you went through there and when you returned home. Anything they do will be to little to late.
sendpm.gif
Old 10-01-2009, 10:43 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Talking

I can vouch for "both" of these brave soldiers. I was an instructor at SF training school and remember both these young soldiers since I was only 14 years old myself at the time. I was young but a great shot so they got me out of high school to teach marksmanship to the SF. They both hit the bullseye often.
sendpm.gif
Old 10-01-2009, 11:12 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Well jlcoad....or whoever you are. Give us some details about your military service so we can prove you wrong.....
Old 10-01-2009, 11:13 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Well, I will give "farmboy" credit for being man enough to talk to Sid on the other site.
Old 10-01-2009, 11:15 AM

Wasn't that just after you recieved your 3rd MOH?

Don't know whether to take offense or to laugh. Laughing is easier and I can't blame you for not believing me as there are far to many posers out there.

If you know of any one who lives near Boston, MA, I can meet and show him my DD-214 and a bunch of other documents untouched by PhotoShop.

If not, it doesn't really matter. We all know where we've been and what we've done.
sendpm.gif
Old 10-01-2009, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MORTARDUDE View Post
Well jlcoad....or whoever you are. Give us some details about your military service so we can prove you wrong.....

Ask me anything. If you read my bio you will see that I spent most of my time picking up up pine cones at FT Bragg.
sendpm.gif
Old 10-01-2009, 12:40 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Well jlcoad

From best I can tell it looks like our former resident SF expert Sid has offered a partial appology to "farmboy" over on the other PatFile 2.0 site after he did some further research into farmboys "background"..

He Sid says he's "legit"-------then I suppose that's good enuff for me.

To be honest with you when I read your "bio" at first I believed YOU were another "wannabee" as well.

If I was wrong-----I offer my humble apologies to you and farmboy as well.

Welcome aboard.

Gimp

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

"I ain't no fortunate son"--CCR

"We have shared the incommunicable experience of war..........We have felt - we still feel - the passion of life to its top.........In our youth our hearts were touched with fire"

Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.
sendpm.gif
Old 10-01-2009, 12:54 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

What my brother Gimp said. Welcome here
sendpm.gif
Closed Thread