The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Veterans > Veterans Memorials

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-11-2003, 03:00 PM
Wannabe/Poser

Distinctions
VOM 
Default Arty Sgt

Unfortunately, John and I will have to cancel our visit to you as we will be going to say goodby to Frank. Frank was so worried about me that he called last Friday to see how I was doing. He was so proud to have been a psyco vet. Frank gave us the psyco vet phrase "Heavily Medicated For Your Protection" I asked him if I could use it on the Psyco Vets Stuff and he was so proud to have contributed it. Frank helped John like nobody else could have with his burns. I have a new psyco vets tee for him to wear while cruising on his Harley. I'll see you on Friday brother.

Before I leave for the funeral on Friday I will copy all of the posts here and give them to his Mom and Dad.

Danny, I want to thank you for being Franks best friend, LT and I will see you on Friday.

Sid
Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-2003, 03:40 PM

Distinctions
VOM Coordinator Contributor 

I'm so very sorry to hear about the passing of our brother Frank. may he sleep in peace.
Old 08-11-2003, 04:26 PM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 

Danny,

I too would like to say thank you to you and Sandy for your friendship to Frank. He always spoke with love and concern and respect for you both. Thank you for letting us know that he just went to sleep and had no pain. That is such a comfort to all of our hearts. Your request for prayers for his Mother and Fatherwill be rememberd by all of us. I put my cell phone in a pm to you. If youandSandy ever feel the need totalkfeel free to call me anytime.Please know that all of us that can not come will be standing with you all inSpirit.I am very sad that I can not be there.You all will be in our thoughts and prayers.

Thomas Jefferson, Kentucky Resolutions of 1798: "In questions of power then, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution."
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 04:29 PM

Distinctions
VOM 

I did not commune with Frank but then, we must've looked at the same stars on a night or two up in I Corps .... I suspect that at some time during his last night, he willingly left this earth plane at someone's dream invite, or visit. Beau

Our birth is but a sleep and a forgetting:
The Soul that rises with us, our life's Star, 60
Hath had elsewhere its setting,
And cometh from afar:
Not in entire forgetfulness,
And not in utter nakedness,
But trailing clouds of glory do we come 65
From God, who is our home:
Old 08-11-2003, 04:40 PM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 

Thank you Sid and John forloving my friend and brother and standing in the gap for all of us. It is a great comfort to me. Thank youfrom my heart. I will never forget it.

Thomas Jefferson, Kentucky Resolutions of 1798: "In questions of power then, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution."
Old 08-11-2003, 05:02 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Billy Joel

Goodnight Saigon

We met as soul mates on Parris Island
We left as inmates from an asylum
And we were sharp, as sharp as knives
And we were so gung ho to lay down our lives

We came in spastic like tameless horses
We left in plastic, as numbered corpses
And we learned fast to travel light
Our arms were heavy, but our bellies were tight

We had no home front, we had no soft soap
They sent us Playboy, they gave us Bob Hope
We dug in deep and shot on sight
And prayed to Jesus Christ with all our might

We had no cameras to shoot the landscape
We passed the hash pipe and played our Doors tapes
And it was dark, so dark at night
And we held on to each other like brother to brother
We promised our mothers we'd write

And we would all go down together
We said we'd all go down together
Yes we would all go down together

Remember Charlie, remember Baker
They left their childhood on every acre
And who was wrong? And who was right?
It didn't matter in the thick of the fight

We held the day in the palm of our hands
They ruled the night and the night
Seemed to last as long as six weeks On Parris Island
we held the coastline they held the highlands

And they were sharp as sharp as knives
They heard the hum of our motors
They counted the rotors
And waited for us to arrive

And we would all go down together
We said we'd all go down together
Yes we would all go down together
Old 08-11-2003, 06:06 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Unhappy ANOTHER FALLEN EAGLE

When Arrow called my house last night to tell Kath and I about Frank's passing, I was stunned. I immediately felt a definate loss. Like alot of us on here, I've known Frank for several years from the History Channel site. We were not only comrades in arms with VN as a common bond, but we were Brother Screaming Eagles. Since our time spent with the 101st Airborne Division was seperated in time by 5yrs., I didn't know Frank in VN. I didn't have to. The fact that we were both 101st Troopers made us Brothers for all time. Whenever I have that mental picture of all those inverted rifles with a helmet resting on them representing our fallen Brothers, I will know that there is now another one representing Frank. May God hold you in the palm of His hand, Frank.

"RENDEZVOUS WITH DESTINY," BRO!
Old 08-11-2003, 06:45 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Sid, Thank you

While we never met in person we will miss him. I also made the Army my career. My father also served in WWII and was a POW.
Know that while he went too soon that he had a positive impact on others.
SFC Darrel Miller, US Army Ret.
Old 08-11-2003, 08:34 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

It is so hard to talk about Frank. I got the honor of meeting him at the Psycovets South Campout. He was an outstanding guy. He had told me he was going to come up here and visit me but he never did get to do it. His picture from Vietnam has affected me a lot. He looks too young to shave, too young to be there, but his eyes said it all. Our country took this kid and sent him over there and he not only survived, he prevailed. But those eyes, he still had them in Georgia. He gave his youth for his country and then he gave his old age. And the thing about it, the really amazing thing about it, is he did not regret it. He had his friends and his Harley and that was plenty enough for him. He was burned horribly after he came home. To him it was just something that happened. It was no better and no worse than Vietnam. It just happened and then he was back to what he loved, his friends and his Harley. He had what a lot of guys here have: a modesty about all he had been through. It was no big deal to him to have been through hell twice. It just made an amusing story. There was no regret, no self-pity. I think it shows the great mercy of God to have him die in his sleep. Finally, it really was no big deal. I know somewhere in heaven there is this kid that hasn't shaved yet. And you know, that look in his eyes will be gone. He'll be just that kid, riding his Harley. One thing that will not change is that big, rolling laugh. Frank, it has been my great honor to have met you and to have you for a friend. Fred Deakins
Old 08-11-2003, 08:43 PM

Distinctions
VOM 
Default Frank Skokan

Here is the last info I have, Frank is at Jeffcoat Funeral Home, 255 Friendship Road, Tallassee,AL 36078. Visitation is Thursday afternoon 6-8?,Funeral service at Fort Mitchell is also unknown at this time.(Frank's sister is coming in from MI tomorrow morning and she will make all the the decisions about times,Franks parents are just getting by and waiting for her to show up and turn it all over to her)The family has asked me to have Frank's friends serve as pallbearers,I need 5 veterans to help me carry my brother at Fort Mitchell,Danny