And every line on our palms
We're fools to make war
On our brothers in arms."

Dire Straits

the tears of God...
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2003, 02:50 PM

My prayers are with all that are hurting and missing this brave soldier. God Bless you X-grunt!
I'm sure God has already opened his arms and said
"Welcome Home"

Old 08-13-2003, 07:54 PM

Distinctions
VOM 
Default Frank Skokan Arrangement

Everything same as last post,Sis arrived today and I know at is going on,she cool.His mother wanted him a suit but he wanted his black T shirt and vest,today he got his wish,photo is "Torch's"favorite past time.
Old 08-14-2003, 11:23 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default So Long X-Grunt. Have a Safe Trip to that Better Place:

Well X-Grunt. My heart is VERY HEAVY with the news of your SUDDEN PASSING. I just know that you are on your way to a FAR BETTER PLACE that is free from any form of pain and suffering. You have now completed your LAST PATROL in life and can thus look forward to an eternal R&R with the rest of our BROTHERS and SISTERS who have gone on before you. One last thing. When you arrive at that R&R Location in Heaven, please put in a good word for me. I will definitely need it.

While we never met in person, I derived much pleasure from your entries into this Forum. In fact you enriched many of us with your input into many different topics. YOU WILL BE DEEPLY MISSED by all the rest of us that you left behind. Sleep in eternal slumber my BROTHER. I know you are IN HEAVEN NOW as you have ALREADY SPENT YOUR TIME IN HELL we all called VIETNAM.

When my own life's mission has been completed, and I have taken that very last breath, I hope to be able to meet up with you and my Buddy, HM3 Alan R. Gerrish. You two can then show the NEWBY all the ropes and where to bunk for eternity.

Until that time does come: REST IN PEACE. YOU MAY BE GONE; BUT WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN:

VIETNAM 1968
Old 08-14-2003, 11:52 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Frank's profile from www.veterans.com :

First Name: Frank W
Last Name: Skokan
City: Tallassee
State: AL
Total Posts: 405
Birthyear: 1951
Nickname: None
Hometown City: Atlanta
Hometown State: GA
Service Year From: 1969
Service Year To: 1972
Honors/Medals: Combat Infantrymans Badge

Bronze Star
Air Medal
Viet Nam Service Medal
Viet Nam Camp Ribbon
NDSM

War: Vietnam

Branch of Service: Army

Service Specifics: Recon 1/501 101Abn
Recon 3/506 101Ab

>>>>>>>>>>>>>

It looks like most of his posts have been deleted.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I always wanted to ask, but never did. Why did he have the 100th Division patch under his name ? Thanks.

Larry
Old 08-14-2003, 12:18 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

I found a few of Frank's posts on www.veterans.com

If I am out of line posting them now...let me know, and I will get them deleted.....

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Subject Exiting Net
Posted by xgrunt71
Posted on 4/16/01 308 PM

I'll be off the net for the next couple of weeks. Going into the VA hospital re: liver problems from Hep C and PTSD. Best to all. xgrunt out.

>>>>>>>>>>>

Subject Back on line
Posted by xgrunt71
Posted on 4/28/01 745 AM
Well, after 10 days of dealing withthe Very-Asinine ( VA ), I am in about the same boat as before. There is a blood test they can run called a HCV_RNA which will let you know if the Hep C you have is the kind that destroys livers. Montgomery VA says only Tuskeegee can give them and Tuskeegee says only Montgomery can put the consult in. I've finally lost what little patience I had and am going to use my Medicare for this problem. As for my PTSD after being on a lock-down ward for 10 days with some SERIOUS loonies I said the Hell with it and came back on home. It's going to be in the 80's today and I', fixin to wash the Harley and RIDE. Your kind thoughts and prayers for me were very much appreciated and did help to stay as long as I did. It's especially hard on me as I'm single ,no kids and live by myself. That old isolation syndrome. Thought I'm not getting confused between the real world and the cyber world being able to come on line and talk to dudes and dudettes[sp] who understand where I'm coming from helps a hell of a lot. A good Saturday to you all and I"m on the FXR fixing to boogie. xgrunt

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Subject Andy
Posted by xgrunt71
Posted on 4/28/01 1:40:18 PM

Brought a book in by Carl Sagan I have wanted to read. As to the nitrous that would have helped but in the spirit of the good Doctor a container on poppers they use for agina would have definately been the Gonzo way to go. An instant brain rush that leaves you bouncing off the latrine walls and raving gibberish to the seriously disturbed inddividuals There's a thought to dwell on. Yours in Gonzodom xgrunt.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Subject Deep Thoughts
Posted by xgrunt71
Posted on 1/13/01 8:53:43 AM

We all know how we felt about the war and the military now. But think back 30 or more years and try to remember how you felt about the Green Machine , lifers and the war. If we're really honest lets see how much our attitude has changed. Speaking for myself ,I kept my CIB, and threw everything else out. If people wanted to know why I had short hair I told them I had just got out of jail. Memories change over time lets see how ours did. There is no right or wrong here just how brothers coped in a damn hard time for us all. Frank S xgrunt

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Subject exlurrp
Posted by xgrunt71
Posted on 1/13/01 11:08:55 AM

yeah, I think, that you and I have humped down some of the same trails here in the world. Still trying to make sense of it all without losing that grunt that's still inside of me. He keeps me real. Jammin to a little Canned Heat now, so I'll get back to ya later Bro. Frank

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Peace brother.

Larry
Old 08-14-2003, 12:24 PM

Distinctions
VOM 
Default Frank Skokan

Frank kept a 100th Infantry Div patch in honor of his father who sevred in World War II and was a POW
Old 08-14-2003, 03:00 PM

Distinctions
VOM Coordinator Contributor 

Thinking about Frank last night and all my friends on the net. And it dawns on me. We are all going down the same path to the same place. Someone had to take point and Frank stepped up and did it. our journey will be a safe one for we know friends will be waiting for us when we get to the other side. Until then keep going as best you can. chris
Old 08-14-2003, 03:39 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Frank and all those at the funeral have been on my mind all day. I wish I could have been there but I had other obligations. I think this whole community is hurting. If he only knew how much he meant to us. There have been over 1000 reads of this thread. It must be some kind of a record. The picture of him on his Harley with his beard blowing in the breeze is so great. I can just see him leaving the ground and riding up in the clouds, letting out big wahooos.
Old 08-14-2003, 04:37 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Hey Danny

My thoughts and prayers are with all you folks tonight at the visitation at the funeral home. Sorry I couldn't make it up there today, but I had doctors appointments at the VA all day long today. I'll be leaving here about 4:00 a.m. in the morning and I'll see y'all at the services at Fort Mitchell in the morning. Please give my apologies to Franks family. But I will be there in the morning. God bless.

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

"I ain't no fortunate son"--CCR

"We have shared the incommunicable experience of war..........We have felt - we still feel - the passion of life to its top.........In our youth our hearts were touched with fire"

Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.