The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-05-2005, 12:38 AM

Send a message via ICQ to catman Send a message via Yahoo to catman
Distinctions
Contributor VOM 
Default Three names removed from Camp Lester MIA wall after remains are found in Vietnam

Three names removed from Camp Lester MIA wall after remains are found in Vietnam

By Erik Slavin, Stars and Stripes
Pacific edition, Friday, March 4, 2005

CAMP LESTER, Okinawa ? U.S. Navy Hospital Okinawa personnel said a final goodbye Wednesday to three fallen comrades who went missing during the Vietnam War.

The hospital?s honor guard removed the pictures of three hospital corpsmen from their POW/MIA wall after their remains recently were identified.

Corpsmen James Patrick McGrath, Ronald James Manning and Bernard Gause Jr. all died during or immediately after attacks on their air transport, according to Navy records.

Even after 30 years or more of waiting, it?s a relief to families when POW/MIAs are found, said retired Lt. Cmdr. Lawrence Alsop, a veteran of World War II, Korea and Vietnam.

?Families are always wondering what happened,? Alsop said. ?Now they can put their ideas to rest. The chapter is finally closed.?

In August 1967, Seaman McGrath, 19, and his reconnaissance team took heavy fire while gathering intelligence south of Phu Bai in Vietnam. Then a recovery helicopter, which had rescued them, took fire and exploded, crashing back to the ground.

McGrath was mortally wounded. Because of the heavy fire, remains of the crew and passengers were not recovered, records show.

On May 15, 1975, Seaman Manning, 21, and Petty Officer 1st Class Gause, 34, set off with joint forces to rescue the captured crew of the American freighter Mayaguez.

Manning and 22 Marines in a helicopter came under fire from Cambodian soldiers near Koh Tang. The helicopter exploded and crashed. Twelve Marines were rescued at sea but Manning?s and Gause?s remains were not found.

The families requested that the pictures of the recovered corpsmen be removed from the wall, which is sponsored by the hospital First Class Petty Officers association. In their places are photos of the Vietnam War Memorial Wall and other scenes. Nine photos of POW/MIAs remain.

The Vietnamese government gradually is allowing recovery teams more access to potential recovery sites, said Petty Officer 1st Class Shannon Dittlinger, for whom the wall holds personal meaning. One of her father?s company members was taken prisoner.

?My dad was in Vietnam and he?s my hero,? Dittlinger said. ?He?s always instilled in us that we should never forget.?

Senior Chief Petty Officer Robert Wickboldt, who spoke at the ceremony Wednesday, said he?s honored the memories of POW/MIAs by keeping a personal reminder with him or in his wallet since the 1970s.

?Vietnam is something that everyone tried to put on the back burner,? Wickboldt said. Recently, that has changed, he said.

The hospital unveiled the POW/MIA wall in September. It is on the first floor, to the right of the reception desk.

Godspeed and keep low!
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2005, 07:33 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

If you are wounded I will carry you , if you are captured I will come for you and if you are killed I will always remember you. Welcome Home Brothers
Old 03-07-2005, 09:03 AM

My respects to the fallen and to those who've found their way home. My regrets to their families but they've at least been able to put their lost souls to rest. There are many more still waiting to be found. I will pray for them all and look forward to them coming home once again as well. God Speed to all the missing.

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"