The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-23-2003, 02:37 PM

Send a message via ICQ to catman Send a message via Yahoo to catman
Distinctions
Contributor VOM 
Default Amen

This is definitely NOT tongue and cheek. Sig, the author, was a teen-aged Marine who marched and fought as a rifleman to and from the Chosin reservoir in Korea in 1950. He switched to the Army, and served as a Special Forces officer in Vietnam. After Vietnam he joined the CIA, and went back to Korea. He's been there, done it, and has some special thoughts on countries that don't "like" us. If you aren't interested in the ramblings of an old man, please do not read. If you're still willing, pull up a chair and read on.

Is there anyone else out there who's sick and tired of all the polls being taken in foreign countries as to whether or not they "like" us? The last time I looked, the word "like" had nothing to do with foreign policy. I prefer 'respect' and 'fear'. They worked for Rome, which civilized and kept the peace in the known world a hell of a lot longer than our puny two centuries-plus.

I see a left wing German got elected to office recently by campaigning against the foreign policy of the United States. Yeah, that's what I want, to be lectured about war and being a "good neighbor" by a German. Their head honcho said they wouldn't take part in a war against Iraq. Kind of nice, to see them pass on a war once in a while.

Perhaps we need to have the word "World" in front of War. I think it's time to bring our boys home from Germany. Outside of the money we'd save, we'd make the Germans "like" us a lot more, after they started paying the bills for their own defense.

Last time I checked, France isn't too fond of us either. They sort of liked us back on June 6th, 1944, though, didn't they? If you don't think so, see how nicely they take care of the enormous American cemeteries up above the Normandy beaches. For those of you who've studied history, we also have a few cemeteries in places like Belleau Woods and Chateau Thierry also. For those of you who haven't studied it, that was from World War One, the first time Europe screwed up and we bailed out the French. That's where the US Marines got the title "Devil Dogs" or, if I still care about what the German think, "Teufelhunde". I hope I spelled that right, sure; sure wouldn't what to offend anyone, least of all, a German.

Come to think of it, when Europe couldn't take care of their Bosnian problem recently, guess who had to help out there also. Last time I checked, our kids are still there. I sort of remember they said they would be out in a year. Gee, how time flies when you're having fun.

Now we hear that the South Koreans aren't too happy with us either. They "liked" us a lot better, of course, in June, 1950. It took more than 50,000 Americans killed in Korea to help give them the lifestyle they currently enjoy, but then who's counting? I think it is also time to bring the boys home from there. There are about 37,000 young Americans on the DMZ separating the South Koreans from their "brothers" up North. Maybe if we leave, they can begin to participate in the "good life" that North Korea currently enjoys. Uh huh. sure.

I also understand that a good portion of the Arab/Muslim world now doesn't "like" us either. Did anyone ever sit down and determine what we would have to do to get them to like us? Ask them what they would like us to do. Die? commit ritual suicide? Bend over?

Maybe we should follow the advice of our dimwitted, dullest knife in the drawer, Senator Patty Murray, and build more roads, hospitals, day care centers, and orphanages like Osama bin Laden does. What with all the orphans Osama has created, the least he can do is build some places to put them. Senator Stupid says if we would only "emulate" Osama, the Arab would would love us. Sorry Patty. In addition to the fact that we already do all of those things around the world and have been doing them for over sixty years.

I don't take public transportation, and I certainly wouldn't take it with a bomb strapped to the guy next to me. Don't get me wrong: I'm not in favor of going to war. Been there, done that. Several times, in fact. But I think we ought to have some polls in this country about other countries, and see if we "like" THEM. Problem is, if you listed the countries, not only wouldn't the average American know if he liked them or not, he wouldn't be able to find them. if we're supposed to feel sorry about them, how about worrying about us?

We were nice to the North Koreans in 1994, as we followed the policies of Neville Clinton. And it seemed to work; they didn't re-start nuclear weapons program for a whole year or so. In the meantime, we fed them when they were starving, and put oil in their stoves when they were freezing.

In a recent visit to Norway, I engaged in a really fun debate with my cousin's son, a student at a Norwegian University. i was lectured to by this thankless squirt about the American "Empire", and scolded about dropping the atomic bomb on the Japanese. i reminded him that empires usually keep the stuff they take. we don't. Back in 1945 most Norwegians thought dropping ANY kind of bomb on Germany or Japan was a good idea. I also reminded him that my uncle, his grandfather, and others in our family spent a significant time in Sachsenhausen concentration camp, courtesy of the Germans, and they didn't all survive. I further reminded him that if it wasn't for the "American Empire" he would probably be speaking German or Russian.

Sorry about the rambling, but I just took an unofficial poll here at our house, and we don't seem to like anyone. Happy New Year.

Sig

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us."

Godspeed and keep low!
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2003, 02:53 PM

Anyone notice any rambling around here? I don't.

I agree with Sig's message. I'm real tired of our supposed friends trashing us at every opportunity, but "we'll take the money, thank you!"

I say pull the financial support and pull our forces from where the US is not appreciated. Unfortunately, a former president forgave France's financial debts to us for WWII. There's more good money thrown after bad.

The problem is, no one asks me for my opinion, and I'm confident that my thoughts offend a lot of people.

Oh, well. Miller time.

Jeff
Old 01-23-2003, 03:46 PM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

Let her fly, Jeff. Seems one of the few things we are allowed to do is vent. If you don't feel like doing it here, PM me, i will more than gladly grab a beer and give you a call.

One Goddamn tired American!!

Travis

Godspeed and keep low!
Old 01-23-2003, 03:54 PM

Thanks, Trav! I don't think too many folks here would be offended by what I feel, but the mainstream media would have me strung up by my - well, you know.

I'm just sick of this country bending over and taking it in the butt from second-class nations who don't give a damn about us, but who continue to trash us. Then their rantings and ravings are picked up by goofballs in this country who seem to get unlimited media coverage. Once again, mainstream America is ignored.

What the hell has happened? People are AFRAID to say things because they fear what they say MIGHT offend some wimpy protester here or some other country?

I'm not afraid. Not yet.

(I gotta learn to come out of my shell...)

Jeff
Old 01-23-2003, 04:05 PM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

You, as usual are right sir. I guess maybe I am just too "old school", or maybe I really don't care how others view me, I do know that I am fed up to my ears with all these politically correct ways that our nation has gone. Let's start calling a spade a spade and let paople know where they stand.

The "Ugly American"
Trav

Godspeed and keep low!
Old 01-23-2003, 05:39 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default I won't pretend to be an expert........

however, I believe much of the problem lies in our interdependencies with many other countries. Try to purchase a vehicle that is 100% American made with american parts and labor. I'll bet it can't be done. I'm in the field of property management in NYC. My company was 50 percent owned by one Japanese company. I managed a building owned 49 % by a different Japanese company. Every where you look, there is a piece of America or an American Corporation owned by a foreign company.

Consequently, forces are at work all the time to make decisions favorable to corporations or other countries which ironically sorta kinda leads to decisions made in our national? interest because of the financial relationships. As long as this trend continues, "we" will give a damn how everyone feels because "we" don't want the stock market to drop since our retirement is so dependent on it.

Make any sense? I think it does. Corporations appear to be accomplishing what the UN cannot. All countries are so interconnected because of the economy that a domino therory truly could apply. We are almost a one world economy now. On the contrary, The UN's member nations still have physical boundaries, customs and languages as barriers. Corporations only understand one thing - - profits. That is the unifying factor. that is why we care about how we are perceived. If we nationalized everything, I think it would be a different story.

If you look back at our history, I think America historically is an isolationist country. We did not give a damn about anyone else because we believed it would not affect us. Remember Washington and his famous admonition about "no entangling alliances?" well we didn't heed his advice and now we are forever tangled with just about every country in the world in one way or another.

Regards,

Bill

King John 2.1.466
Old 01-23-2003, 06:24 PM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

Bill your post is unarguable, and it is shows the basic problem with this country, America's heart is for sell to the highest bidder.

Trav

Godspeed and keep low!
Old 01-23-2003, 07:01 PM

BOHICA
Old 01-24-2003, 03:33 AM

Bill,

I "think" I am right, but it seems the only thing made in USA and all parts is the One and Only Harley Davidson.

Probably wrong, but what you said makes ALOT of sense, especially to us commoners.

Have a good one...

enough...........
Old 01-24-2003, 05:05 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

My genuine Harley Davidson leather vest was made in Korea. My official History of HD was published in China and my bike has a fly wheel made in Mexico.