The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-03-2010, 02:27 PM

Default Non Citizen Voting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My bad if this material has been covered before:

This link is from Mar 23

http://www.pressherald.com/news/peti...010-03-23.html

Here is the more current story:

Here is another take:
Portland ballot will include question on non-citizen voting
By Kate Bucklin
E-mail and share
Aug 24, 2010 10:00 am
PORTLAND — A handful of people turned out Monday to express their opinions on what is expected to be the most contentious issue on the city ballot in November:

Should non-U.S. citizens be allowed to vote in local elections?

An effort spearheaded by the League of Young Voters earlier this year collected more than 4,500 signatures to put the question on the ballot. The effort was launched in March after the city's Charter Commission decided against including non-citizen voting rights in its recommended changes to the City Charter.

The City Council on Monday held a public hearing before voting to put the question on the ballot. Voters will be asked in November if they favor allowing legal, non-U.S. citizens who are residents of Portland and at least 18 years old to vote in School Committee and City Council elections, and on the school budget.

Non-citizens would not be allowed to run for office.

Alfred Jacob, a 26-year-old Portland resident who moved to the United States from Sudan when he was a child, spoke in favor of allowing non-citizen voting.

Jacob said the future of Portland will include an increased immigrant population that is becoming part of the community.

"We seek a way of integrating and creating a better Portland," he said.

The Portland High School alumnus said there is a disconnect between the immigrant community and the school system, despite more than 25 percent of the student population in Portland being immigrants.

"Parents aren't as involved with the schools," he said, but allowing them to vote will increase their participation in school issues.

Will Everitt, director of the Maine League of Young Voters, said there are as many as 10,000 immigrants living in Portland, including many refugees from war-torn Sudan and Somalia. And while many have children in the school system – and many of those children are U.S. citizens – it takes six to 10 years to become a naturalized citizen.

"These are people living in Portland, paying taxes and sending their kids to school," Everitt said.

Other U.S. cities have passed local legislation allowing for non-citizen voting rights, mostly on school issues, including Chicago and Tacoma Park, Md. New York City allowed non-citizen voting for Board of Education elections, but has since done away with the school board.

Everitt said San Franciscans will be asked in November to approve non-citizen voting for school issues.

Non-citizen voting is a divisive issue, though, and some people feel strongly that voting is a right reserved for citizens.

City resident Barbara Harvey said she is against allowing non-citizen voting, and instead encouraged non-citizens to become citizens in order to share all of the benefits of being an American.

"To vote in this country, you have to pledge allegiance to this flag," Harvey said. "Once you're a citizen, I'll drive you to the polls."

Robert Hains, a regular at City Council meetings, said he, too, opposes non-citizen voting.

"They don't have the right to vote, and they don't have the right to run for office," he said.

Councilors had little to say before voting unanimously to put the question on the November ballot. But Councilor Jill Duson said she would vote against the proposal in November.

Duson said while she feels strongly that "Portland is open and welcoming ... and everyone is heard," she also believes voting is a privilege of citizenship.

__________________________________________________ ________
I am just an ole Country boy from Alabama but just to be a bit more clear:

I am American, I was American Born and American bred, and when I die I will be American Dead. If You are going to Vote in an American Community you OUGHT to be an AMERICAN CITIZEN. Of course we have someone impersonating an American and at the same time impersonating a President! Things have changed alright! Are you yet!

Like an ole Country boy said one time, I don't Cuss but if you will right it I will sign it! btw: Keep it clean folks!

Take Care
Stay Safe
We the People are Coming, count on it!

Old 09-03-2010, 10:27 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

I don't think this well pass but you never know.
Old 09-04-2010, 06:00 AM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

What the hell, if Portland is going to do that, why not let Canadian vote in their elections; or put ballots in Asia; or in the rest of the USA. Hello? Insanity? You can stop any time now.
Old 09-04-2010, 10:43 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Boze,...

It's worse than just getting sicker & sicker out there.
It's downright intelligence insulting.

If no nations or countries on earth ever let foreign nationals vote in THEIR countries (Mexico, Sudan & many others inclusive),...why-in-the-hell should America's Political Rulers & Press STUPIDLY even debate or consider such an obvious VOTING ILLEGALITY here?
It's a good joke. But, that's about it.

Zealots constantly lumping together Legitimate Immigrants with: "Criminally Illegal Aliens" is also both government & press QUITE DUPLICITOUS, to say the least.

Neil
Old 09-04-2010, 11:51 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

I think it is the miracle of democracy that all the different idiots get to vote and when you sum it all up, it becomes something near consensus. That doesn't include Mexico or any other country though when I was in Europe, they half jokingly said they should be able to vote since our elected officials impact them so much. Now, if you ask Glen Beck, this is not a democracy, it's a republic. That's just his spin for oligarchic control. He is half right so he is all wrong. We are a democratic republic. That means we get to elect our oligarchs, something he disapproves of because we might not do it the way he wants.
Old 09-05-2010, 12:02 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default 1Cav...,

Don't just ask Glen Beck,...even though no doubt one of the most honest notables in America.
Check it out for yourself.

Our Forefathers instituting The US of A as a Constitutional Republic, just cannot be denied.[/b]

Neil
Old 09-05-2010, 04:24 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Actually it is a constitutional democratic republic. We democratically elected representatives that formed a constitution which was democratically approved by voting on it and formed a representative government, a republic, which have to be democratically voted on to remain in power. They are supposed to operate within the framework of the constitution but that really chafes all sides at some time or another. I will give Glen Beck one thing, he has been able to do something which has never been done in the history of the world: create a gold bubble. He hypes gold more and more and the prices go up and up and the fact he is a paid spokesman for gold doesn't have a thing to do with it? When the bubble bursts and all these people are holding the $1,000 dollars worth of gold they paid $10,000 for, I just might take some off their hands...for $900.
Old 09-06-2010, 09:26 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default 1Cav...,

Of course it is currently a: "Democratic (or whom squeels the loudest) republic".
That's exactly what politicos, press & academe have perverted America into over the years.

However if believing Our Forefathers & previous NOT Politically-Corrected texts about what
USA was founded as,...you will find it was instituted as a: "Representative Republic". That's all.

Whatever, let's face it. It has been longtime obvious that America has purposefully & largely
been turned into: "A Government of The (Politico), By The (Politico) & For The (Politico)".
Sad but true, folks.

Still & in fairness,...A LOT of Americans, foreign nationals & leaders just LOVE IT as is.

Neil

Last edited by reconeil; 09-07-2010 at 06:06 AM. Reason: correction
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 01:46 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Now that corporations are the same as citizens, do we need to go back to what our founding fathers set up, you need to be a property (land) owner to vote?
Old 09-06-2010, 09:03 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to BLUEHAWK
Distinctions
Contributor 

... probably not, but I might favor an arrangement whereby you had to prove you have voted in order to get a driver or any other kind of license.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote