The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Branch Posts > Airforce

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-18-2005, 05:18 PM

Default Joining the Air Force

I am very close to finishing up with my BA and want to join the Air Force. There has been only one real desire in my life that has stuck with me through the years- and that is it.

I would really like it if any of you could give me some input or advice. I am pretty sure that I am too short to fly (5-foot-even), but that's what I want to do. I am sure there are other fields I can go into. I am also apprehensive about taking the AFOQT. I have heard some people who have said it's awful- but some said it wasn't bad at all. I have always done well in school and made good grades- but will that make any difference? Also, I have heard that any volunteer experience looks really good for anyone looking to be an Officer. What about work history? I have moved many, many times so my work history looks somewhat weak.

Maybe you guys (and gals) can help me out?

I have spoken with a recruiter, but I can't seem to get much out of him because I am not close enough to finishing my degree.

I just want to apply my knoweledge for a greater use than self preservation. The best way I can think of is to serve in the Air Force.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2005, 07:44 PM

Distinctions
VOM 

Sierrawolfe929r ; well, one pilot option you have is Helicopter where being short is a benefit (you don't have to duck under the Rotors So, look into all your options!
Old 02-19-2005, 09:24 AM

Thanks Jerry- I will bring that up to my recruiter.

I was thinking it was out of the question.

-Sierrawolfe929r
Old 02-19-2005, 02:10 PM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

Wolfe,

Try another recruiter. Sounds like this guy's just marking time to retirement.

Having a degree will go a very long way. My dorm chief in Basic had a BA and went straight to OCS from there. I ran into him about 2 years later. He was STILL a horse's ass but now I had to call him, Sir!

Another guy was one semester short of graduating from UCLA when he was drafted so he left school to join the AF. He completed his degree program and was allowed to enter OCS.

I wouldn't worry too much about work history. After all, AFA cadets go in right after high school, so how much work history can they have.

As for height limits; sorry, can't help you there but your recruiter should get off his dead ass and give you the information you need. Like I said, try a different one.

GOOD LUCK!!

BTW: Basic Training can be a shock to the nervous system. Just remember to play the game and do what they tell you to do and you'll be fine. They don't really mean it when they call you a @#%&* and say that you *&%#@ to all of mankind and several species of animal. They say that to everyone!
Old 02-19-2005, 04:46 PM

Distinctions
VOM 

BTW Sierrawolfe929r if you go into the airforce as enlisted (just in case) all you need is what you can fit in a carry on bag. The Airforce will provide you with everything else during Basic Training, When you get to Tech School or OTS you can have your parents ship you anything you need or wait till the first big holiday and take leave and fly home and get it I was one of those silly people that took two suitcases and didn't need anything out of them plus I had the enjoyable adventure of pick'em UP ,put'em down for about 30 minutes that night (fun Drill instructor games for recruits) thats why a lite carry on bag is suggested
Old 02-19-2005, 09:04 PM

Default this is great

I feel like I have found some super-secret support system

The input y'all are giving is making me feel more and more confident about this change in my life.

-Sierrawolfe
Old 02-20-2005, 01:18 PM

Hey, SW, go for broke if you want to fly.

There will be height restrictions on some aircraft but not others. Someone mentioned the A-10 is pretty cramped yet a Dallas Cowboy linesman piloted one before he started with the NFL so ya never know till ya get the right info. Press your case. Make it clear you WANT to fly. The AF is always looking for good pilots and they know the best are made of the ones who really want to fly.

An "aggressive" learner/student will impress the instructors. I'm not saying make yourself a pain in the butt but when you get a chance, go to the instructor after class when possible and ask questions...don't let any question go unanswered if you get the opportunity.

And by all means, keep yer nose clean. Be obedient. Do what you're told when you're told and you will do well.

The obedience thing...your life may well depend on it one day.
Old 02-20-2005, 03:36 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default PUSH UP,...

...I could teach you the push up that I advised Brad to do, and he's now a Capt., but I also taught his DI the push up, backdoor, and now every platoon since Brad is doing it, so I must've revamped Army PT,...

Tom "ANDY" Andrzejczyk

Old 02-22-2005, 02:34 PM

I will make a point to push for flight. SJ, you've got me curious about the push-up. ?