The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-10-2004, 09:15 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Hoyin

Thank you so much for that informative post.

I for one cant wait for my incredibly backwater, biblethumping hypercritical, red neck neighbors to join the actual majority of Californians who are educated, will try and look at the issues thoroughly, vote on them and dont think that just because Alabama wanted a statue in their court room, New Yorkers are incredibly rude, or that the South wouldnt let a man drink out of the same spigot based on the color of his skin for eons means they dont have the right to exsist or are some how weird, nutty, , stupid, or backwards. But thats just us Californians. Somehow I think accepting our differences and not planning on "partying" the day say the Texas loudmouths fall off into the gulf speaks volumes.
But thats just my opinion, as a Californian I feel you are entitled to yours as well.
Hoyin
Old 03-10-2004, 09:22 PM

BTW not sure I'd want most 14 year olds to vote. My daughter who is 16 keeps herself very informed and can spot a phony three towns away and wants very very much to vote this time around..but I still feel that she is young and being so may be much more easily swayed still. Even now her politics tend to follow mine and I'd want her to have her very own opinion.

Oh and did I tell you I'm a whacked out Californian?
Hoyin
Old 03-10-2004, 10:00 PM

919....Ya got it all wrong. California is not falling into the ocean, it's going to stay intact. The rest of the US is going to float away
Old 03-11-2004, 04:48 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to BLUEHAWK
Distinctions
Contributor 

What WOULD make some sense is if there could be some kind of a youth voter "Learner's Permit", associated with the public/private schools somehow, where as part of their curriculum they would debate, have their vote, report their results to news agencies. That would make sense, a lot of sense for a lot of reasons... might even become a USEFUL part of pre-college training for life as it is.

But then, I am also an advocate for teaching firearms safety in school.,,, to where by the time you are a senior you need to pass the course on the range with live fire.... sorta like a core requirement to get your diploma.

I sub-taught public schools for a few years recently... asked the class one day how they would have voted in a certain election. Their answer was, with VERY rare exceptions, they would NOT have voted at all. When asked, "Why?"... their uniform answer was that they believe "the fix is in" before anybody GETS to the polls. This is coming from the well-informed well-fed mouths of teenagers.

Somebody either put that thought into their heads, or they came to that conclusion amongst themselves... in either case it does not bode well for this Republic.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 05:05 AM

Ok,

I put this post on here and with no say so myself, so here goes,

I do believe that the voting age should stay the same as it is mainly for a couple of reasons.

1. A person is old enough at 18 ( and in some cases ) younger to enlist in the service and dedicate their life to fight for the USA. ( example being, in the Vietnam Room on this site, someone put on there about the youngest to be killed there , a 14 year oold ), but this same person cant go out and buy beer until 18 in some states and 21 in others. That person that joned the service is considered an adult, right?

2. A person under the age of 18 can and will be tried in the criminal courts of law as an adult and even administered the death penalty, but still not be able to vote. Right?

3. A person under the age of 18/17 is out having consenual sex with a person over 18 is against the law and the person over 18 will be charged with rape ( statuatory ) or other Indencany with a child under 17. Right ?

So, if the KIDS are allowed to do the above and not end up in trouble, why let them vote ? Ever see the movie " Logan Run " ? Let them vote and it will be just like that.

I think I have said enough before I get my hinney in trouble.

reeb.......
Old 03-11-2004, 11:22 AM

Reeb,

I think you said it well. I for one think that the drinking age is stupid for soliders...and voting as well. If you can die for your country at 17 why cant you have a beer or vote? However I still stand by what I said..the majority of teenagers shouldnt be allowed to vote.

C'mon I remember the last election. The junior high kids (14) my daughter was going to school with all wanted Bush. Why? Cause he seemed more like a guy they'd want at the backyard bbq.

*That* incensed me. C'mon children this isnt supposed to be a popularity contest. I dont vote based on he is good looking, more fun, or for that matter more popular. I actually look up voting records and such. Then again I am ya know...old.
Old 03-11-2004, 11:30 AM

Oh and hey 919..I forgot to ask who's O'Leary?

If you meant Tim..Dr. Timothy..the "turn on, tune in and drop out" dude who was originally from Harvard (which if I am not mistaken happens to be on the EAST coast) you mean Leary.

Oh and btw, he's dead.

Now I got the Moody Blues stuck in my head.
Old 03-11-2004, 11:58 AM

I am a product of the California school system. Although not raised in CA I did live there from the time I was 7 years old until I turned 21. I have two brothers who still live there; One is a cop near Stockton and the other is a building inspector in Bakersfield. I not only ran from the state I ran to the other end of the country. When I speak with my family now, they always tell me I did the right thing in leaving and then proceed to tell me how much it has changed. CA used to be a great place to live and raise a family. With all the insane laws they have now....you couldn't pay me enough to move back!
But I don't recall in my last post that I even slammed CA. I do find offense in the slam against NY. Have you ever personally visited our beautiful state? I don't make my presumptions based on rumor or what other people tell me. I base them on personal experience.
Unless you've experienced the shear wonder of an early spring waterfall rushing through the crisp air off the side of a mountain deep in the Adirondacks or watched a bear across the gorge in the Catskills, don't be so quick to judge NY. We are not all rude people. To do so is like saying all of California is like either L.A. or S.F. There is so much more to the state. NY does not only consist of NYC. Do I agree with the politics of this state? Not always...for crying out loud the yahoos down in the City held the numbers enough to give us Hillary. The rest of the state didn't want her! We tried to give her back to Arkansas but they have a no returns policy! All sales final.

Enjoy the beauty in California...but think...at what cost!

DL
?Whatever else history may say about me when I?m gone, I hope it will record that I appealed to your best hopes, not your worst fears; to your confidence rather than your doubts. My dream is that you will travel the road ahead with liberty?s lamp guiding your steps and opportunity?s arm steadying your way.?
President Ronald Reagan
Old 03-11-2004, 11:59 AM

oops, sorry, found a typo. Meant to say...Although not born in CA, I was raised there from...
?Whatever else history may say about me when I?m gone, I hope it will record that I appealed to your best hopes, not your worst fears; to your confidence rather than your doubts. My dream is that you will travel the road ahead with liberty?s lamp guiding your steps and opportunity?s arm steadying your way.?
President Ronald Reagan
Old 03-11-2004, 12:13 PM

Yes I have been to NY...and my post was meant to show exactly what you are saying.

NY itself is lovely..the majority are not rude people ..just like the majority in California are not pot smoking hippie loons. I wasnt slamming NY, or any other state. That post was meant to show that ALL states have their quirks. it was meant to show/say that you cant just lump everyone into one catergory no matter where they are from...and I for one wont be "partying" the demise of any. So you and I *agree* here.

As for California being or not being a good place to live I think that depends on where in the state you are ..yep agree, taxes are insane, some things especially right now arent great, but for the most part I still love it here.

I am in the mountains though in Northern California..you couldnt pay me to live in Stockton, and sorry but my personal opinion on Bakersfield is to rude to post. Just let me say every time I have gone that far south that I think WHO would ever want to live here?

Glad we agree. Its refreshing to see that even though you may have read me wrong at heart we feel the same way.

What part of NY are you from? I used to love my summers in upstate. It was gorgeous.