The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-15-2005, 12:55 PM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Officers/sargent/ E4 or less

The war in Vietnam was a very different war depending on where you fell in the above list.
Our officers only had to be in a line unit for 6 months less if you knew someone (most knew someone).
Our Sargents were incharge of the platoon (generally) and as such had privlages. Except at bace camp.
E4 and below did the real work and the real fighting in Vietnam.
Some Officers were there just to get a permotion and could care less about any mission. Some were for the men only and were usually passed up for permotion, Some officers were just plane stupid and didn't belong in the infantry or in the Army.
Sargents were mostly guys that had been there for a little while, and were generally compident, Every once in awhile you ran into a Korean war or even a WW2 sargent that were hard core Army lifers and they were the worst. I only had experiance with one of these, Sargent White, What a ASSSSSSSSSSS hole.
Every time we would go back to base camp I had to go see this *&^%$#@!~ because we would need replacements and he took it upon himself to be the self apponited personnel filler person. He would assign people to us because he had an argument with someone and wanted to punish them. Now that makes me feel good about the guys being sent us.

Ron
Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-2005, 01:55 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Post Ron,

You are correct. Vietnam more than any other war was fought by the poor and underclass in our society. WWII was almost the opposite. Everyone fought in WWII, but those who could avoid the draft or had the educational skills to avoid combat, did avoid it to the best of their ability. But, in reality, combat is almost always between the poor blokes of one nation fighting the poor blokes of another nation while those who have much a stake watch from afar. That is the nature of war. Has been for many years. Even in WWII, it was mostly the poor blokes doing most of the fighting.

Keith
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 07:02 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to LRP1

Keith

I can see and understand your point but I know there were exceptions to the "rule". I may have been just lucky - but I always had Senior NCO's who had their shid together. Same holds for our officers (95+% of them anyway). We did, however, have some real winners - enlisted and officer - but their type did not last more than one or two ops with us.

RLTW
Satans Playboys
From Hell We Rise
Old 10-15-2005, 09:02 PM

Send a message via ICQ to catman Send a message via Yahoo to catman
Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

I would have to second Cals opinions for my generation!

Trav

Godspeed and keep low!
Old 10-15-2005, 09:32 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default I don't believe any of us

I know there are some very good men who served as Officers and NCO's. However, what I am saying is the vast majority of the fighting men came from the lower economic status. I think that holds true for all wars. Its just the nature of way things go. I don't look at it as being either bad or good, that's just way it is. Maybe during the Middle ages when Knights did much of the fighting, but you still had the infantry. War is basically the powerful getting the poor blokes to do their dirty work. And, Vietnam probably a little more so than any other war. Some say that now that most enlisted men come from poor economic status. I'm not sure about the stats on that but my guess is that is true. But, the vast majority of the personnel in the military will be E-4 and under and they will be doing most of the work, if that weren't true the military would be top heavy.

But, by the same token. Ron may have been unfortunate to have bad NCO's and Officers to a higher degree than most units, I just don't know.
I had some Officers I really admired, and I had some NCO's I really admired. I had some that were just plain jerks and useless but I think the majority of the NCO's and Officers were a pretty fine bunch of men.

Keith
Old 10-16-2005, 12:15 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

I, too, for the most part, had good line officers and Senior NCO's in the 101st. Ran into a couple of assholes in the rear, though. At Bragg ran into a few more; mostly ones that didn't have CIB's. I think a case of inferiority complex with their EIB's.

We were the best educated to go to war up to that time. We weren't neccesarily the poorest, either. Plus, contrary to popular belief, most of us were volunteers.

* 76% of the men sent to Vietnam were from lower-middle/working class background.
* Three-fourths had family incomes above the poverty level; 50% were from middle income backgrounds.
* Some 23% of Vietnam Vets had fathers with professional, managerial, or technical occupations.
* 79% of the men who served in Vietnam had a high school education or better when they entered the military service. 63% of Korean War vets and only 45% of WWII vets had completed high school.

* 25% [648,500] of total forces in country were draftees. 66% of U.S. armed forces members were drafted during WWII.
* Draftees accounted for 30.4% [17,725] of combat deaths in Vietnam.
* Reservists killed: 5,977.
* National Guard: 6,140 served, 101 died.
* Total draftees [1965-73]: 1,728,344.
* Actually served in Vietnam: 38%.
* Marine Corps draft: 42,633.
* Last man drafted: 30JUN73.
Old 10-16-2005, 03:54 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Officers

Out of the (lets see---1,2,3,4,5 6) 7 or so officers that were assigned to our unit (more or less) I can remember 2 that were damn fine officers and damn fine people. The rest just bairly knew there ass from a hole in the ground, but you had to point at one.
I was the LTs RTO for all but 1 of those officers and I can't figure out what OCS was thinking when they graduated.

But then I was E4. so what do I know.

Ron

LRP, Where you from in Arkansas? Very pretty state, Cept- watch out for those winding dirt roads and banjoes.
Old 10-16-2005, 06:15 AM

Send a message via AIM to Bill Farnie
Distinctions
VOM 

Keith you are absolutely correct. The lowely enlisted man has always been cannon fodder.

For the most part, we had good officers and senior NCO?s. There were two exceptions. Lt. Gowan was a West Pointer who stated to us when he became our platoon leader that he was going to, at the very least, leave Vietnam with a Silver Star. He volunteered our platoon for everything. Every ambush, night or otherwise, every patrol when stopped in the boonies, and on every CA the first platoon into the LZ. He didn?t last long though for our CO understood that he was big trouble. He was transferred and became an advisor. We learned later on that he indeed did earn a SS but he also lost his legs in the action.

As much as an a** Gowen was, he paled in comparison to Capt. Ditchfield. I?ve written about Ditchfield on the PF before so I won?t get into how incompetent he was and all I?ll say is that I hope he rots in hell.

On the other side of the coin was Capt. J.W. Hendrix. We would have followed him into the bowels of Hades if need be. He had nothing but our respect and trust. He went on to become a Maj. General and had commands in NATO and he also was the Commanding General of the 3rd Infantry Division up until his retirement. He was the CO who got rid of Gowan.

Here?s a picture of J.W.

It is well that war is so terrible, or we should get too fond of it. General Robert E. Lee
Old 10-16-2005, 07:05 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to LRP1

I live in Searcy, AR - Went to HS in Hot Springs.....

RLTW
Satans Playboys
From Hell We Rise
Old 10-16-2005, 07:15 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default LRP1

...was there a few years back,...

...even went to "Slick Willie's" boyhood home, that little blue one down the winding road with the marker, and banner, sat in the state house office of his,did the your bit,...

... that sheer massive rock formation down town which I believe a portion of it fell a few years back was impressive behind the ???main ave where they give the buggy rides, and tourism stuff, lots of shops, enjoyed the days, and the people were accommodating,...

..Little rock was/is where her parent company corporate offices are, Alltel', but they sold her software division to fidelity, couple "ok" bars by the Holiday inn,...

Tom "ANDY" Andrzejczyk