The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-30-2008, 03:41 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Actually

Lam is Vietnamese for Gay. Just kidding. Couldn't help myself. The November Psyco Mtn extravaganza is fast approaching and have to get myself in a weird state of mind. You seemed to have picked a tough one....but I am sure somewhere, somebody is going to help you out.

Pack

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-2008, 06:51 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Stuff that happened in Vietnam in the early 60s is hard to get details about unless you find others that served in the same time and place.

I know a Marine that wrote a book about his experiences there & then. I've even met his (I don't remember his rank) and talked to both together.

I also know 2 Marines that know everything about the Marine Corps and each swears that the other is an expert. Both insist that there were
NO Marines in Vietnam before 1965.

Keep looking everywhere. Somebody served with or near him. Don't worry about not finding information on the AF Together We Served web site. Darrel had to send pictures of some patches to Army Together We Served. Other information is still not loaded due to lack of information on their part.

Joy

Old 10-30-2008, 07:00 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default What does your dad say about it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son-Of-Pilot View Post
I am looking for help. My dad, who is now 73 years old, is a Vietnam War veteran and was a pilot with the original Dirty Thrity. He was in Vietnam from April 1962 to April 1963. I have seen the unit picture and my dad is top row center so I know he was there with the other guys but I am having problems getting any informaton on the unit and it's histroy.

I have been able to make contact with only a few veterans who flew with my dad and the wife of a deceased veteran. I am really hoping there are people here who can help me with my research becasue I really want to put something together for my dad before he passes.

The Air Force has not been terribly forthcoming and I am really beginning to wonder what the deal is.

Please help if you can. Thanks all.

It seems to me like the best source of information about this unit, and your dad's activities in it, would be your dad. What does he say about it?
Also Nguyen cao ky was never in comand of any American unit--it would have to be Vietnamese

Good luck!
Old 10-30-2008, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exlrrp View Post
It seems to me like the best source of information about this unit, and your dad's activities in it, would be your dad. What does he say about it?
Also Nguyen cao ky was never in comand of any American unit--it would have to be Vietnamese

Good luck!
I have talked to my dad about the Dirty Thirty. I have gotten a lot of stories .... some funny, a few sad .... but all were great in getting a feal for what the guys were doing over there.

I know Col. Ky would never have been in command of an American unit. I think technically all of the pilots were "observers" or "advisors", even though they did the actual flying. Each time one of the planes went up it had one American in the cockpit and one South Vietnamese.

I think this is where I am having proplems with the Air Force. All of the guys had to be under some kind of US chain of command even though they were flying with a VNAF unit. This is why I am looking for help or anyone who knows anything about the Dirty Thirty.

Todd
Old 10-30-2008, 05:51 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Ky

survived and is in the US I think. Maybe you can try and find him....a google etc. should do that....and write him. Just a thought.

Pack

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
Old 10-30-2008, 06:30 PM

Send a message via AIM to 82Rigger
Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

In the VNAF, Transportation Squadrons had three digit numbers starting with "4".

Maybe this will help...

Squadron - Wing - Division - Location - Primary Aircraft

413th Transport Squadron 53rd Tactical Wing 5th Air Division Tan Son Nhut C-119 Flying Boxcar

415th Transport Squadron 33rd Tactical Wing 5th Air Division Tan Son Nhut C-47

421st Transport Squadron 53rd Tactical Wing 5th Air Division Tan Son Nhut C-123 Provider

423rd Transport Squadron 53rd Tactical Wing 5th Air Division Tan Son Nhut C-123 Provider

425th Transport Squadron 53rd Tactical Wing 5th Air Division Tan Son Nhut C-123 Provider

427th Transport Squadron 51st Tactical Wing 1st Air Division Da Nang C-7 Caribou

429th Transport Squadron 82nd Tactical Wing 6th Air Division Phu Cat C-7 Caribou

431st Transport Squadron 82nd Tactical Wing 6th Air Division Phu Cat C-7 Caribou

435th Transport Squadron 53rd Tactical Wing 5th Air Division Tan Son Nhut C-130A

437th Transport Squadron 53rd Tactical Wing 5th Air Division Tan Son Nhut C-130A

Steve / 82Rigger

Last edited by 82Rigger; 10-30-2008 at 06:39 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-30-2008, 06:56 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Here is a web page that may be of some help...

http://members.aol.com/SamBlu82/menu4.html

Steve / 82Rigger
Old 10-30-2008, 08:01 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Do a Google search for

"the dirty thirty"+ vietnam

exactly as typed above for more stuff.

Steve / 82Rigger
Old 10-30-2008, 08:36 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Son-of-a-pilot

Nguyen Cao Ky supposedly lives in Hacienda Heights, California and has a daughter, Nguyen Cao Ky Duyen, of Huntington Beach, California who may be able to find him if you can get in contact with her.

Good Luck.

Gimp

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

"I ain't no fortunate son"--CCR

"We have shared the incommunicable experience of war..........We have felt - we still feel - the passion of life to its top.........In our youth our hearts were touched with fire"

Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.
Old 11-01-2008, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimpy View Post
Nguyen Cao Ky supposedly lives in Hacienda Heights, California and has a daughter, Nguyen Cao Ky Duyen, of Huntington Beach, California who may be able to find him if you can get in contact with her.

Good Luck.

Gimp

I seem to remember hearing that Nguyen Cao Ky went back to Vietnam. I heard somewhere he was getting flak for trying to reconcile with the Communists in Vietnam and that he may move back there.

Last edited by Son-Of-Pilot; 11-01-2008 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Spelling error