The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-11-2006, 10:07 PM

On the subject of wannabe's, you guys will like this story. A man was prosecuted in Federal Court in Montana for posing as a marine veteran in order to help with a scam. He had even got a picture of himself in a Marine Dress Blue uniform. Montana Chief US District Court Judge Don Molloy, a Navy pilot in Vietnam, sentenced the man to stand in front of the federal courthouse for two weeks with a sandwich board.

The front is to read: "I am a liar. I am not a Marine" The back reads "I have not served my country, I have dishonored the service of every American Veteran"

Ya gotta love it.
"No one has greater love than this; to lay down one's life for one's friends.". John 15:13
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-2006, 09:23 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Come on a classifed DD 214, right, gimme me break already. Had a guy tell me he was with the 5th ID in Nam, didn't know it was the 5th Mech. Said he was in Saigon with the 5th ID, didn't know it was near the DMZ. Told him he was full of shit, and walked away from him.

If your going to suceed your going to have to know how to deal with failure. (Joe Torre).
Old 07-12-2006, 09:35 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default RR

I was with the Red Dimond at Fort Carson, in 68 just before I ETS.
Old 07-12-2006, 04:25 PM
Wannabe/Poser

Distinctions
VOM 
Default Sometime You guys need to spend

Some time with LT and I in some of the bars we frequent, I swear Atlanta is Wannabe heaven. Once a guy claimed to be a RECON Marine and I asked him a couple of questions based on the Bro was a RECON Marine. All were incorrectly answered so I called him a Fuu ----- liar across the bar. He walked around and stuck his hand out to shake and i slapped it away. I told him I had been around RECON Marines with my brother and if he was one we would already have been in a fight. I used to get really mad and want to punch them out and I still do but now I feed them lines just to see how far out they will go. THEN PUNCH THEM OUT.
Old 07-12-2006, 05:55 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Talking

Some people have a problem with anger . Ask Sid about the fight in the anger management class at the VA. RON i wore the red diamond for a couple months also but in in RVN before that was 9th Inf and after that 101st.... all in the same platoon. Our nick name was The Bastard Cav
Old 07-13-2006, 05:49 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Check

This article out!.................

###START###

JUDGE ORDERS PUBLIC HUMILIATION FOR MOCK MARINE --
Phony veteran must wear sandwich board telling all he's a liar.

Public humiliation for mock Marine
By RICHARD HANNERS
Whitefish Pilot

A Whitefish man who lied about having served in the U.S. Marines has been ordered by a federal judge to wear a sandwich board in public that labels him a liar who dishonored war veterans.
According to Bill Mercer, U.S. Attorney for Montana, William Cody Horvath, 36, told a probation and parole officer he had been a Marine, but the Marines said there was no record of Horvath ever having served.

Horvath then presented evidence to the probation officer, including photographs and decorations. Marine Corps officials told the probation officer there were a variety of inconsistencies with the materials Horvath had presented.

Marine Corps officials said Horvath's uniform was worn improperly, decorations were displayed improperly, and equipment and uniforms worn in the photos either did not fit with the era or were inconsistent with other items in the photos.

Horvath faced up to five years in prison, a $250,000 fine and three years supervised release.

Instead, Chief U.S. District Judge Donald W. Molloy sentenced Horvath to four years probation, home confinement for four months, a $1,500 fine, a $100 special assessment -- and a public apology.

In addition to writing letters to the commandant of the U.S. Marine Corps, the Veterans of Foreign Wars and the American Legion in Kalispell admitting that he had lied about his service and apologizing for his action, Horvath must also wear a sandwich board in public admitting his crime.

Molloy ordered Horvath to spend 50 hours marching in front of the U.S. courthouse in Missoula wearing a sign that reads "I am a liar. I am not a Marine" in front and "I have never served my country. I have dishonored veterans of all wars" on back.

Horvath's attorney, Dan Wilson, of Kalispell, said Molloy was following a Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals precedent.

In November 2005, the U.S. Supreme Court reviewed a Ninth Circuit ruling that ordered a convicted mail thief to stand outside a post office in California for 100 hours wearing a sign that read, "I am a mail thief. This is my punishment."

Shawn Gementera had argued that the sentence violated the 1984 federal Sentencing and Reform Act, and that it was cruel and unusual punishment under the Eighth Amendment. The U.S. Supreme Court ruled it was not cruel and unusual punishment, but it reduced his time with the sandwich board from 100 hours to eight.

People familiar with Judge Molloy, a veteran, might not be surprised by the sentence he gave Horvath. Molloy was raised on the High Line, played running back for the University of Montana football team, and landed F-4 Phantom fighter jets on aircraft carriers during the Vietnam War.

While serving in the Navy, Molloy wrote to Sen. Mike Mansfield expressing his opposition to the Vietnam War, but he served honorably and proudly from 1968 to 1973.

Horvath lied about his military service while working with a federal probation officer on a pre-sentence report for a prior charge of being a fugitive in possession of firearms or ammunition.

Horvath was sentenced three times outside of Montana in the late 1990s for larceny theft and received sentences of 60 months, 12 months and 60 months.

Molloy also ordered Horvath to stay away from alcohol and bars, get substance abuse testing and treatment at his own cost, and seek mental health treatment.

---------------

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

"I ain't no fortunate son"--CCR

"We have shared the incommunicable experience of war..........We have felt - we still feel - the passion of life to its top.........In our youth our hearts were touched with fire"

Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.
Old 07-13-2006, 02:37 PM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default LT

The shirt I wore home from Fort Carson
Ron
Old 07-13-2006, 02:56 PM

Robert,

If he said he was with the 1st Battalion, 5th Infantry (Mechanized Infantry) I would have believed him. They were assigned to the 25th ID in III Corps.

I was an advisor and we worked with them sometimes.

5th ID did work in I Corps.

Mike
Old 07-13-2006, 03:53 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Talking I use to . . . . .

Chant "I wannabee an airborne ranger, I wanna live a life of danger" in boot camp. I didn't really mean it. Does that make me a wannabee.

Keith

Sorry I couldn't resist.
Old 07-13-2006, 04:00 PM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Keith

Who is this Covan?
I sang I don't want to be an airborne ranger. I don't want to live a life of love and danger. I wanted to be Jody.

Ron