The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Iraqi Freedom

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-30-2004, 11:06 AM

Post What are your view points on the Nightline Controversy?

How do you feel about the following article that appeared on the FoxNews Website this afternoon?

Some Stations to Boycott 'Nightline' Iraq Broadcast

Friday, April 30, 2004

NEW YORK ? A major broadcast group is planning to block its ABC-affiliated stations from airing a "Nightline" tribute to fallen U.S. troops in Iraq because it contends the program is a political statement disguised as news.

Ted Koppel (search) will devote the entire half-hour of "Nightline" (search) Friday to reading names and showing photographs of the more than 500 U.S. servicemen and women killed in action in Iraq (search), ABC announced Wednesday.

Each service member's photo will be shown, along with his or her name, military branch, rank and age as Koppel reads the name aloud. Since the ABC News broadcast is just 30 minutes, it will include only those killed in action in Iraq since March 19, 2003, as certified by the Defense Department.

The network's intentions drew a denunciation from the Sinclair Broadcast Group, a Baltimore-based owner of 62 television stations in 39 markets reaching about 24 percent of U.S. television households, according to Reuters.

On its Web site Sinclair said, "Despite the denials by a spokeswoman for the show, the action appears to be motivated by a political agenda designed to undermine the efforts of the United States in Iraq."

The statement goes on to say that Sinclair would support "an honest effort to honor the memory of these brave soldiers," but the group does not believe that is the case with the "Nightline" plan.

"Mr. Koppel and 'Nightline' are hiding behind this so-called tribute in an effort to highlight only one aspect of the war effort and in doing so to influence public opinion against the military action in Iraq."

Senator John McCain issued a letter Friday to David Smith, President and CEO of Sinclair Broadcast Group, protesting his decision to preempt 'Nightline.'

"I supported the President's decision to go to war in Iraq, and remain a strong supporter of that decision. But every American has a responsibility to understand fully the terrible costs of war and the extraordinary sacrifices it requires of those brave men and women who volunteer to defend the rest of us," the letter read. "It is a solemn responsibility of elected officials to accept responsibility for our decision and its consequences, and, with those who disseminate the news, to ensure that Americans are fully informed of those consequences."

An ABC News spokeswoman told Reuters that Sinclair's decision to preempt Friday's "Nightline" on its stations would remove the program in at least seven markets including St. Louis, Miss.; Columbus, Ohio; Charleston, W.Va.; Pensacola, Fla.; Springfield, Mass. and Asheville and Winston-Salem, N.C.

ABC News issued its own statement defending the broadcast as "an expression of respect, which simply seeks to honor those who have laid down their lives for this country."

The network will use photos and information from the Army Times Publishing Company's online "Faces of Valor" database.

"Memorial Day might have been the most logical occasion on which to do this program," Koppel said. "But we felt that the impact would actually be greater on a day when the entire nation is not focused on its war dead."

ABC News will simulcast the program live on its Jumbotron screen in Times Square, and ABC News Radio will air excerpts, the network said.

"Nightline" airs in most markets at 11:35 p.m. EDT.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.
?Whatever else history may say about me when I?m gone, I hope it will record that I appealed to your best hopes, not your worst fears; to your confidence rather than your doubts. My dream is that you will travel the road ahead with liberty?s lamp guiding your steps and opportunity?s arm steadying your way.?
President Ronald Reagan
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-2004, 11:11 AM

Send a message via ICQ to catman Send a message via Yahoo to catman
Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

I feel it is 100% political. I do agree with honoring somehow, but this is not the way.

Trav

Godspeed and keep low!
Old 04-30-2004, 02:01 PM

The only reason Ted Koppel wanted to to that was to cut Bush's legs out from under him. He want's to aid the enemy the same way it was done during Vietnam.
Old 04-30-2004, 02:14 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

It is not aiding the enemy. Since the soldiers cannot give their opinion, it should be left up to the survivors to decide.

Larry
Old 04-30-2004, 02:30 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

It is aiding the enemy.

Since the soldiers cannot give their opinion, it should be left up to the survivors to decide.
They apparantly were not consulted since all will be shown and named.

Old 04-30-2004, 03:02 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

What murph said...............

And in case nobody's noticed, the war dead from Afghanistan and other battlegrounds won't be mentioned, just Iraq.

Personally, I'd rather watch tumbleweeds roll than Ted Koppel.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Old 04-30-2004, 04:31 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

look...i don't want to get in a very heated argument..but if u think remebering and honored our war dead is aiding the enemy you are dead wrong...

larry
Old 04-30-2004, 07:55 PM

Send a message via ICQ to catman Send a message via Yahoo to catman
Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

Larry...like pizza, it's all in the delivery.

Trav

Godspeed and keep low!
Old 05-05-2004, 05:54 AM

I didn't watch it so I can't relate to it. But if you recall the twin tower's - didn't they post all the people that died and I thought I saw another show where they posted the personnel who went over there?

We may not all agree with the issues but I don't think I was too taken back by the whole concept of giving recognition to those serving or have served in the service. It's like a final salute and one last chance to reflect on those who've given their all.

As a soldier back then I didn't think much about the politics of the day or moment I only did what I was told and life moved on. Afterwards when things began to slow down then I found some interest in the politics of the day. Don't always agree with the issues or the results but here again I'm sure you all can remember just how little time you had to get involved in politics when you were in.

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Old 05-05-2004, 06:09 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs down

Having Ted Koppel read the names of the Iraq KIA , in my mind , does not honor them at all. It's a political statement using our dead as a messenger