The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-15-2008, 12:44 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Talking Humor

Humor aptitude:
It is has been known for many years that some folks have humor and others don’t. Some folks think things are funny and can see humor in all kinds of situations and usages of language. In the early 1980s, a group of psychologists led by Dr. Harvey Mindess did a study on humor. They came to the conclusion that some people are almost void of a sense of humor and others are have a well developed sense of humor. They also concluded that people with a sense of humor are on the whole more intelligent than those who have very little or no sense of humor. However, they also discovered that some members of MENSA (an organization for the highly intelligent) had little sense of humor and they found out that some mentally retarded folks had a fairly well developed sense of humor.
In 1932 a man by the name of Anthony M. Ludovice wrote a paper (he hated laughter and kidding around) that stated that humor and laughter was sinister. Humor he said always has a sinister side to it. He felt that kidding and joking was mean and cruel. His famous statement was “a tad bit of humor goes a long way.” Well, his hero was Adolf Hitler (Adolf Hitler was known for his lack of humor) so after WWII his research was mostly discarded because Anthony Ludovice was considered a little “off the wall.” But, some of his theories still float around today. Like, “kidding and joking are sinister” and “there is always something sinister and cruel behind humor.” Sadly some folks still believe that today. Some folks do use humor in a sinister way but most people don’t.
The Truth about humor and intelligence is this: For the most part people who like to kid around and joke are usually much more intelligence than those who don’t. Some people may allow humor to get there way of productivity but most don’t. All of us have had the misfortune of encountering people who lack a sense of humor. They who really don’t get it. The problem with those kind of people is they think they get it, but jokes and kidding around really just doesn’t click with them. Those people often complain about others and their sense of humor. They want to eliminate laughter from the work place, family gatherings, etc. And, they feel that humor gets in the way of living. The folks with a more robust sense of humor and those who are somewhat humorless often clash. That sad thing is that some folks who lack humor believe that those with humor aren’t very smart, when just the opposite is usually true. Some classic examples of humor clashes have taken place over years: John Adams and Benjamin Franklin lived together in Paris during the Revolutionary War representing the United States to the European community. Adams was almost void of humor and Benjamin Franklin enjoy kidding around and using humor. Benjamin Franklin had written “Poor Richard’s Almanac” a book that uses humor to get across serious points. Franklin drove Adams “up the wall” with his activities, yet Adams knew that Franklin was probably the smartest man in the world at the time. So he tolerated Franklin’s behavior. Abraham Lincoln once had some ladies who wanted to impeach him because he and his “cronies” use to get together and have a good old time kidding and laughing which these “humorless” ladies thought was totally inappropriate behavior for a man who was President of the United States. Fortunately their complaints didn’t go far.
Conclusion: If you are a person who’s humor is less robust than some and it irritates you when others kid around, keep your cool and bite your tongue, because you may cause more harm than good by complaining about others sense of humor. Forcing your opinions on others will cause resentment, don’t go there. Also remember you may be missing out on making friends with some really great people and isolating yourself from some folks who may be able to enhance your life, just because you don’t relate to joking and kidding around. To those with a more robust humor, remember your humor can interfere with work if it goes too far, do try not to be too offensive. Those with a more robust humor should try their best not to go out of their way to insult those who lack humor, but it will happen because when the two meet there will be clashes. Both groups should strive to tolerate the other, even though they may not totally understand the other. Research has shown, Laughter is good medicine for reducing stress, enhancing brain chemistry. That sad thing is that those without humor may, when they become older, become grouchy and cynical, the type of folks no one wants to be around. Try to develop a sense of humor or least a tolerance for those with a more robust sense of humor.

This article was put in here for BobK. He lacks something.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-2008, 02:59 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Bro Keith

The only problem I have is John wanting to blow up my truck for something Ray and Pack made me do...Like I said before, I'm like a private among a bunch of generals on the mountain. They bark out orders...I salute and say yes sir!!!

The all too intelligent bOOger

God bless the ACLU
Old 09-15-2008, 03:13 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default I think I understand:

You are much too intelligent for the rest of crew on the Mountain. They are jealous of you, right?

Keith
Old 09-15-2008, 03:35 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Keith

Just the opposite.....Its Pack and Ray who are the intelligent ones....They sit back and scheme up these sick jokes to be played on poor John, and they're smart enough to fool John into believing it was all my idea. You have no idea how much this hurts when John accuses me of being the ring-master in these evil doings

God bless the ACLU
Old 09-15-2008, 03:45 PM

Default Only an Aussie man can make you feel like a woman

Only an Aussie man can make you feel like a woman

A plane passed through a severe storm. The turbulence was awful, and
Things went from bad to worse when one wing was struck by lightning.

One woman lost it completely.

She stood up in the front of the plane and screamed, 'I'm too young to die,'
she cried. Then she yelled, 'If I'm going to die, I want my last minutes on
earth to be memorable! Is there anyone on this plane who can make me
feel like a WOMAN?'

For a moment, there was silence. Everyone stared at the desperate woman
in the front of the plane. Then the man from Australia stood up in the rear of
the plane.

He was handsome, tall, well built, with dark brown hair and hazel eyes.
Slowly, he started to walk up the aisle, unbuttoning his shirt as he went,
one button at a time. No one moved. He removed his shirt. Muscles rippled
across his chest. She gasped...

Then, he spoke...

'Iron this -- and then get me a beer.'
Old 09-15-2008, 04:15 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default bOOger,...

..."They made you do it",...

...Yea, that's like vinager on pancakes,...

...John, please only blow up half the truck, I want to watch the other half in April go up in pieces,...

Tom "ANDY" Andrzejczyk

Old 09-16-2008, 03:04 AM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

Not only is humor different from person to person, its also different from country to country. I work with several Indians who just do NOT understand the American sense of humor. Something that we Americans find funny, they just get that "deer-in-the-headlights" look on their faces (and they have no clue as to American idioms). I was once pontificating about an aspect of the upcoming elections to a couple of Indian women then said, "I should really get off my 'soap box' and get back to work." They looked at me like, well you know, and said quizically, "You weren't standing on a box of soap!" I started to laugh but they didn't.
Old 09-16-2008, 11:45 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Humor is Cultral, Genetic, and Enviromental

Our humor is influenced by culture, genetics, and the enviroment in which you were raised.
I was raised on a farm, we saw the humor in almost everything in daily life. We teased, harassed, and played practical jokes; it was a way of life for many in western rural America. But when I went off to college I realized there were some real "Duds" out there. They didn't pick up on punch lines in jokes, or got mad at practical jokes. They thought they were superior because of their lack of humor, many of us just thought they were emotionally or humor challenged.
In all cultures there are people who just don't understand humor. They sometimes file complaints against those with humor. I just don't know how BobK ever made it to retirement, I think they thought he was so crazy they were scared to fire the man.

Keith
Old 09-16-2008, 12:39 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Au contraire my little bible toting, flea bitten, reverend

My talents were put to good use when it came time for talking the bad guy into doing something stupid for some honest jail time........ I also learned how to dodge sucker punches and have plenty of back-up before I started to jack my jowells

God bless the ACLU
Old 09-16-2008, 02:12 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

[Au contraire my little bible toting, flea bitten, reverend.]

I'm so glad you know me so well.

I thinks its them Aussies who have no humor.