The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > World War II

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-21-2013, 11:32 PM

Distinctions
Staff 
Default Question about CIB eligibility for my grandfather

Okay all, I am going to pick some of your brains for a little insight into seeing if my late grandfather is eligible for the CIB retroactively for service in WWII. He was drafted and entered the Army in January 1945. According to his discharge, his Arm or Service was Cavalry, as he was assigned to Troop H, 7th Cav, 1st Cav Division. However, his MOS was Rifleman No 745. He served in the Luzon Campaign.

That said, I am wondering if he is eligible for CIB given that he was a Rifleman, since the 1st Cav seemed to be serving in an infantry capacity. Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Dan

President Ronald Reagan (1911-2004)

Civil War History
Military History Blog
Frontier Battles
5th Minnesota Infantry, Company D

sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2013, 07:26 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

I can't say for certain since solely served peacetime(???) with the 7th Cavalry.

But it has always been my understanding that any U.S. ground forces having fought or
served in combat were awarded the greatly valued CIB or Combat Infantryman Badge.

Neil
Old 01-22-2013, 07:59 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Not true Neil. A Cav. platoon , by TO&E has one squad of Infantry assigned to it's structure , the rest are Armor types. As a platoon leader of a Cav. platoon , in Vietnam , I rotated my men through the infantry MOS , on paper , so they all earned the CIB. As an Armor officer leading the Cav. platoon I did not earn the CIB
Old 01-22-2013, 12:48 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

It's truly sorry to hear that, DMZ-LT.

I figure that any troopers actually in combat and doing their jobs while taking fire or in a firefight (LZ Xray being a great example), at minimum deserve The CIB. Matters not whether they were cavalry soldiers of Scout, Rifle, Mortar or Tank Sections.

Whether killed, wounded or surviving totally unscratched, all such should rightfully deserve a CIB and much more.

To that I would include that civilian combat reporter/photographer whom later wrote the book: "We Were Soldiers Once", from which movie: "We Were Soldiers" was made.

He too similarly fought for survival against the greatest of odds during the most fiercest of battles Ever, with HHT 1/7 CAV SQDN.

Neil
Old 01-22-2013, 08:05 PM

Distinctions
Staff 

Neil,

Joe Galloway (the author of We Were Soldiers) was awarded the Bronze Star with Valor for his disregard for his own safety at Ia Drang for carrying wounded to an LZ.

Thanks guys for your insights thus far.

Dan

President Ronald Reagan (1911-2004)

Civil War History
Military History Blog
Frontier Battles
5th Minnesota Infantry, Company D