The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-17-2002, 10:36 AM

Distinctions
Staff VOM 
Post Cancer

As some of you know I?ve had cancer since 1997. It?s non-hogdkinson small cell lymphoma. Mine is a little kinky, the cancer moved from the lymph nodes to the bone marrow. I?ve had a flare up, the cancer is out of remission and had my first new treatment for it was yesterday. In the past we did 3 chemotherapies, then a chemo and gene therapy which worked great, this time just the gene stuff.

Yesterday was sort of funny, my body would not accept the gene medication as quickly as was expected, so they shot me up with more steroids, muscle relaxants, codeine and gave me some oxygen. When we were done I apparently looked and talked like the town drunk, from a town in Ireland! I knew exactly what was going on but keeping my balance and talking was quite difficult. Sort of like I was on a little speed and doing ether (I never did that combination but it sounds interesting.)

The point to telling you this is, for about 30 years I saw a doctor four times. Once when I broke a knuckle on my right hand (you should have seen the other guy), another time when I had a bad cut on my left hand and the other two times because of a throat infection. My cancer was well on it?s way before it was discovered.

The cancer is dioxin caused, as in Agent Orange. All you folks who spent time in RVN were exposed to one degree or another. Dioxins act very quickly or can lay dormant in the body for decades before they get active. Thus, you must understand that YOU are at risk, YOU must get regular physicals. I know, that can be a pain in the butt, but do it!

This is not a ?poor me? post, I will be fine, it?s a public service announcement. Lets face it Vietnam Vets are a high risk group, a lot like prostitutes. Cancers caught early are, in the vast majority of cases, not a death sentence as they were just a decade ago. So get a physical; PLEASE.
Stay healthy,
Andy
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2002, 11:52 AM

Default Andy

Hope all goes well for you Andy. If you feel like just shootin the breeze stop over at the saloon. With both the East and West campouts going on this weekend it's pretty slow over there. I don't think counseler Keith is even around. We can talk smart and everything without gettin caught.
Old 05-17-2002, 12:43 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Talking Drywall, That's What you think.

I've just come to the conclusion the bunch here is all helpless.

Keith

Andy,

Our prayers are with you! I believe you'll do just fine. I know you are doing the "smart bomb " thing and it is quite a long and extended treatment but you'll do just fine.

Drywall, is trying to take my job!! Watchout for Him!
Old 05-17-2002, 12:50 PM

Default Busted

Ya got me. And speaking of talking smart, I'll bet there'll be some stories from the campouts the will require your professional services.
Old 05-17-2002, 01:06 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default I'll be heading out soon.

I'll be heading out soon for the West Coast Campout. They plan to give Andy a call at home. That west coast bunch really needs me.

Can't wait to meet everyone.

Andy the folks at the campout and I will be saying a prayer for you.

Keith
Old 05-17-2002, 01:17 PM

Default Have a good time

Anything bad you here about us back here, well its all true
Old 05-17-2002, 04:13 PM

Default God be with you

Andy, keep good thoughts and I pray that God is with you every step of the way you must walk.
Old 05-17-2002, 04:34 PM

I feel for ya, guy.

I gotta say though, doctors are like cops: They don't need you and they don't want you to need them.

I booked a FULL physical a couple of months ago. The doc took my blood pressure, stuck his viewer in my ear, asked a few questions and dismissed me like I was interrrupting his latest sexual abuse. This despite the fact that I told him I wouldn't be there if I didn't KNOW something was wrong.

If I want to be disrespected, I'll go back in the army.
Old 05-17-2002, 05:05 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Good Doctors

Good Doctors take the time to communicate. Get a new Doc.

I tell the Doctors: "I know my body, you know medicine. If you are going to be a good doctor for me you'll have to communicate. I want to know what college you went to, med-school, where you were born and raised and finally do you have a warped sense of humor so we can communicate on the deeper levels." A good Doctor will meet those requirements. If not they aren't a good doctor, except maybe for the sense of humor part. I'd fire a Doctor, and I have, that wouldn't communicate.

Keith
Old 05-18-2002, 08:35 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Andy,
Keep fighting. It's the only way to win.

The closer to the end of the war, the higher the dose and at the end everyone got it in their drinking water.

I just changed our doctor last week.

I went in for a physical and they didn't take my blood pressure. I am on blood pressure medication.

I'm making an appointment next week for a physical, again. After I get mine, I'll start working on Darrel to get his.

Not too hard. Make appointment for him, drive him there, sit in the waiting room.

He already had a health problem from agent orange. He got better.

I keep telling him that I'm selfish. I take care of him so he'll be around to take care of me.