The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > Family

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-03-2009, 02:24 AM
Administrator

Distinctions
Special Projects VOM Staff Contributor 
Default A Most Remarkable Corpral

This is the story of my father in law, Arnold Miller. He was born and raised in the mountains of North Carolina. The Civil War was never far from the memories of these people. They fought for the Union and for this they paid a heavy price.
Mitchell County was terrorized during the war and death and famine stalked the land. These people never forgot and were probably the most staunch Republicans in the United States. Children that misbehaved were called little Democrats. Yancey County across the Toe River from Mitchell was Confederate and was forever called that bunch of Democrats. Arnold's grandfather, Mose Miller was in the Union cavalry and was injured when a horse he was riding was shot and fell on him. Arnold's father, Mose Junior was a jack of all trades and teller of many a tall tale. He was the catch of Mitchell County in his youth according to Norrie, his wife. I met her when they were in their 80's and 90's and the pride of her catch was still evident in her eyes. Now Norrie, that was a woman. She looked and acted a lot like Grannie Clampett and was nobody's fool. Arnold went to the eighth grade when according to him he was kicked out for not shaving. The town he lived in was called Relief. He told everyone it got its name from when President Roosevelt stopped his train there to answer the call of nature. The Depression came along and most folks didn't notice being poor already. It did give Arnold opportunity, however. The Civilian Conservation corps was started and Arnold got a job with them. He was put in the erosion control department and sent to middle and eastern North Carolina where his legacy lives on to this day. He planted kudzu every day for years and these vines live on covering everything not moving in a good part of North Carolina. Trouble started brewing in the world as time went by and the draft was reinstated in peacetime for the first time. Uncle Sam seemed to need him so he was taken away from his important kudzu planting duties and put in the Field Artillery. He was stationed at Fort Bragg when Pearl Harbor was bombed. According to him he had been out on the town the night before and when someone came in and told him Pearl Habor had been bombed he told them he didn't care if Washington had been bombed, get out and let him sleep it off. Sadly, he was soon awakened and put on guard duty in his poor condition. Not long after that he was put on a troop ship, the USS Uruguay, and sent to Australia. On his way there the ship's engines quit and they were adrift in the middle of the Battle of the Coral Sea with a destroyer circling thm to keep the subs away. He said he had a good view of the whole thing. Australia, needless to say, was glad to see the Yanks. They were in imminent danger of invasion from Japan and the Yanks were looked upon as saving their country. Now somewhere along the way Arnold had become quite a good jitterbugger, among other dances. He was chosen to enter the all Australia dance competition in Melbourne. Teamed up with him was the prettiest girl in Australia, according to him, Miss Melbourne. To make a long story short, they practiced and somewhere along the way she got pregnant. That was not known, however, the night of the competition. They won by unanimous decision and were the toast of Melbourne. General MacArthur congradulated them both and promoted Arnold personally to Corporal. With many a tearful farewell, the soldiers set sail for New Caledonia where a new Army Division was formed, the Americal Division which was short for the American Division in New Caledonia. Guadalcanal. The First Marine Division invaded and set up a perimeter around Henderson Field. Army units were sent in piecemeal and among the first was Arnold's artillery batallion. He was there when the big Japanese assault was attempted on Bloody Ridge. He had just heard he was going to be a father and the Marines had killed Tojo's son. In his possession were the plans for the invasion of Australia. When Arnold heard of this and that the Marines on Bloody Ridge were out of ammunition, he volunteered to drive a truckload of ammunition to them. The two previous guys had been killed trying it but nothing was going to stop him from stopping the Japanese from invading Australia and harming Miss melbourne and that little boy. On his way up the hill he passed a Chaplain giving last rites to a soldier. As Arnold approached the chaplain drew his 45 and shot a Japanesese soldier off the top of the truck. The day was saved. Arnold was put in for a medal, what he called Presidential Citation. He said it was signed by General MacArthur and President Roosevelt but he never saw it. He told them to give it to that girl in Australia because he did it for her and her son. She got it many years later. I have tried several times to find out what he got actually. I am guessing it was a DSC. Later many of those were upgraded to a Medal of Honor but as of yet I haven't been able to get any information. It would be nice if I could because of the pension associated with it would get him out of his present poverty. His records were burned in the fire at St Louis Mo. He went on to be in five different invasions. One time he was in a truck hanging from a crane over a beach when the crane broke. There he was, dangling from a crane over a beach under fire. About that time a periscope was spotted and the LST drug anchor and got the hell out with Arnold still dangling over the ocean. He was ready to go down with his truck if necessary. Another time he was in a tent with eight other guys when lightning struck it. All were killed but him. Finally the Army developed a point system to where guys with enough points could go home. He left his unit from the Phillipines. After he left they were all wiped out by the Japanese so he goes to no reunions. There are many more stories about this remarkable man but I tire. Today in Melbourne, Australia there is a man called Arnold Douglas Miller. He is the superintendant of schools and from all I hear he is quite the good fellow. Sadly, Miss Melbourne died not long ago and she and Arnold never met again. Over her bed was a large picture of Arnold and her eating ice cream so long ago. If you rent a movie called Strictly Ballroom you can see the arena where Arnold and Miss Melbourne danced to glory, the only dancers to this day to get a unaimous decision.
Note: by Fred Deakins

Re: A Most Remarkable Corpral
by Anonymous
on Apr 15, 2002
[ User information ] [ Send a message ]
Fred..Great story and tribute to your father-in-law.Thanks for sharing it with us. Griz

[ Answer ] [ Delete this comment ]

by Anonymous
on Apr 15, 2002
fred you are a very luckly man to be able to talk to this great corpal,and i enjoyed reading it very much.
razz

by 82Rigger
on Apr 15, 2002
Hey doc this is a great short story you had me spell bound tell us more please

by chilidog
on Apr 16, 2002
Thanks Fred. As many of us probably wish, I wish I had talked to the older folks more. Thanks for sharing this story so well

by Anonymous
on Feb 09, 2007
Fred,
He was a great guy.
Love,
Little brother Jimmy
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links