The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-20-2007, 11:07 AM

Distinctions
VOM 
Default doodle(s)

... Copyright, Garcia (me) but if yah find something yah like, please print ... this is of an Army boat member, on Bow Watch ... and the Viet conical hat people are kind of imaginal, yet were a part of the memories of Army and Navy boaties.

I personnally do not hang War pictures on my walls. I do these historical doodles as sort of landmarks for my own memory and I do present them (by email, usually) to a few serving military officers, as a kind of note that says "yes, you will not find our storys, or units mentioned, on bookshelves of Wars, but we ... we did and went through alot".

And, my landmark doodles are not only of a war of another time ... there are others, on different subjects, mostly important landmarks in my personal memory. And usually I do no more than scribble these memory tics on paper and file them away ... Farm Laborers; Birds of Prey; a family outting or two ... ; and at the moment I am doodling an image of my mother (back in the 1950s) showing me how to roll out some flour Tortillas, and another of a great time in my 1950s life, of going out in the early (cold) mornings to accomany the older fellas on their News Paper routes ... and looking up in the starry sky and being struck by the beautiful constellations, a major one that will be doodled is The Big Dipper.

copyright, Garcia
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2007, 12:32 PM

Distinctions
VOM 
Default doodle-o-rama, contd

... the housing project, circa 1967 ... there is a dove standing by the record player and the song I tried to sing in Spanish (phoenetically) is "Paloma" ... a magnificent recording by Nancy Ames was the inspiration.
Old 01-20-2007, 12:43 PM

Distinctions
VOM 
Default Asparagus "camps"

1950s Cock Fights ...
Old 01-20-2007, 12:48 PM

Distinctions
VOM 
Default Asparagus "camp"

Old 01-20-2007, 01:17 PM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 

B
Drawings from the soul. copyright eha?
Either a Marine or a Navy guy, Army didn't wear them heavy jackets. Well, our unit didn't.
Ron
Old 01-20-2007, 01:19 PM

Send a message via AIM to SparrowHawk62 Send a message via Yahoo to SparrowHawk62

Wow! That's some talent you have there! I really like the "Cock Fight"!

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown
Old 01-20-2007, 04:43 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Thanks for sharing ! Very well done.

In our mech unit we wore both types of flak jackets. One was just slim plates with little bulk or weight and the other was sort of like this one, which was bulky and thick.

Larry
Old 01-20-2007, 06:24 PM

Distinctions
VOM 
Default re ... plus, the Viet cafe

welllll .... thx all for the nice responses. As to the Flak Jackets ... yah know, most of what I do is from memory and they are doodles and margins of "reality" errors are allowed, call it "artistic license" ...

I really got to quit my bread and butter job and get to doodling ... wished I could.

They (the Army authorities) only let us go into a small portion of DaNang proper twice. They ferried us across the Han River, and gave us a deadline to meet the returning ferry to take us back to our compounds. There was this cafe where me and the boat brothers/soldiers had a meal and drink ... I cant recall the specifics but the wiring across the cafe window and the beggar kids stuck in my mind .... one of the cutest girls I had seen, really made a doodle landmark on my memory ... its mostly from recall and though there are indications of Viet activity in the background, its just sets the stage ... hope yah like.
Old 01-20-2007, 07:47 PM

Distinctions
VOM 
Default the other Fort Bragg (Calif) ...

.... the other Ft Bragg is up north of the Bay Area and it is heavily wooded with Redwood Trees. We took a Spring Break there a few years ago ... and this doodle is based upon a wonderful Twilight time near an old wooden train trestle that crosses The Pudding River, right near the heavy surf of the Pacific Ocean ... you could lay in the stillness of the night and listened to the surf come rolling in, like one Diesel Train after another .... I like it up there, but a few years ago the young ladies Soccer team had a tournament there, and I went off early one morning to have breakfast by myself, and I asked the very young Denny's manager "what do young people here want to do when they graduate?" ... he said "get out" (and he also said he was "stuck" there ... caring for a mom ... after our talk, I left and turned around and said to him "You are NOT stuck here !" ... and I think his face said "yah, right" with a sadness) ... well, older folks dream of going to such places but younger folks been around the same thing day in, day out and want more ... aint no Med Schools up there ... aint no Night Clubs, only bars ... aint no Football Coliseums, maybe 100 miles down the road theres a Bowling alley.

Anneeehoooo ... what a wonderfful Twilght Zone that was by the Pudding Trestle ...
Old 01-20-2007, 07:57 PM

Distinctions
VOM 
Default Sandbags 71 ...

based upon a black and white photo I once had ... I left Grussi out and threw the piccie away, probably cause I ditint want to ever see his face again.

anneyway ... Martinez was ok ... I can recall that one of the other boats tried to tie up to ours but only succeeded in pulling ours away from the pier and we drifted to the rocks/beach ... big panic cause the Warrant Officer wasnt onboard at the time ... Hey, I actually saved the day and took over the craft from this other fool who was not saving the boat from beaching sideways. I really did something good for Uncle Sam ... took over and ran the controls, swung the craft into the middle of the Han River, and up towards the Ammo Dump, then turned her towards the pier on the opposite side from where we were pulled off the pier ... and Martinez was telling me " ... I seen what the Skipper does ... " and I know he was telling me the Warrant Officer positioned the boat parallel to the pier and lets the current drift her in ... But then I want Martinez to shut up, cause I can only aim the bow towards the pier ... little shit me did it ... gave orders, the whole bit ... and made it into the pier with a crunch ... but I made it.