The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > New Members

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-16-2008, 01:05 PM

Default Hi, I'm New Here

Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum. I've been studying genealogy for about ten years, but have only been involved in WW II research for the past 7 years off and on. Anyway, I have several items I'm working on at the moment and need some help with (I have found all of the enlistment records online):

1 - My dad, James S. Benefield, enlisted in the Army Air Corps on August 21, 1942, in Montgomery, Alabama. He received his basic training at Sheppard Field, a few miles north of Withita Falls, Texas. He was sent several planes for gunnery school and for radio operators school. He was finally sent to the Pacific Theater from the Port of Richmond. He landed in Townsville, Australia, and was told he was now in the 4th Air Depot Group and would be in the headquarters for that outfit. He remembers the headquarters commander as a Major Redding. He then went to New Guinea and Leyte. Because of all of his training as a gunner and as a radio operator, the 5th AF would "borrow" him for bombing missions in those positions. One mission, in particular, resulted in a crash on the beach at Leyte. He was wounded and lost a finger and when he came to he was being transported to the medics. He never knew whether he was the sole survivor or not.

I ordered his full record from the National Personnel Records Center and it was not in their files, possibly destroyed in the fire.

The only clue to this crash I have is that general location, perhaps the southern part of the island, the plane I believe was a B-25, and probably happened in 1944. I would love to find out more about it. I do not have the number of the bomb group or anything.

I would also like to find out more about the 4th Air Depot Group and perhaps find someone who knew my dad. I have read everything there is to read on the internet about it.

2 - My uncle, Johnnie S. Benefield, enclised on May 15, 1943 at Ft. McClellan, Alabama. The only clues as to what unit he was in comes from my dad's notes: he was in an Engineer Battalion and was with Mark Clark's Army while they invaded Italy. His enlistment record says "no branch assignment."

I ordered his record from the National Personnel Records Center and they did not have it, possibly destroyed in the fire. However, they did send me a page with some basic info such as name, dates of service (May 15, 1943-January 9, 1946), rank was Technician Fourth Grade, Branch of Service - Army of the United States, and Assignments and Geographical Locations - ASF 4th SC 1473. SCU.

I need some help, please, with that last part - ASF 4th SC 1473, SCU. Can someone please transcribe that for me and/or tell me where to start in finding what unit he was in?

3 - Edward Larkin McLennan served in the Automotive Platoon of the 204th Ordnance Medium Maintenance Company. This person is a father of someone I am doing genealogy research for. He served as a welder, I believe. Anyway, there isn't much on the internet about this particular unit that I have found. Was wondering if someone was familiar with this unit as I would like to learn more about them. I know that they began at Camp Gordon in Georgia on June 5, 1942. Next he went to Fort Dix. They went to New Guinea and to Manila and had service at D-Day.

4 - Another uncle, 2nd Lt. Edward S. Reed, 94th Bomb Group, 8th Air Force. He was a pilot and was flying "Superstitious Aloysuis," A/C Serial# 42-5901, when it went down on October 14, 1943. 9 were taken POW and 1 was KIA. Their target was Schweinfurt and that day went down in history as "Black Thursday." My uncle was captured and was taken to the POW Camp Stalag VII-A in Moosburg.

I have recently had a great find, along with some great help from Chris Argent, a researcher in England. He actually found the names of crew members from my uncle's last flight. We think that perhaps two may be still with us, but I have not had luck in contacting them yet. I also have ordered the MACR from Maxwell and have not received it as yet either.

Well, I suppose that's quite enough for my first post here! Thanks in advance to anyone for any help,

Melissa
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2008, 06:59 PM
Administrator

Distinctions
Special Projects VOM Staff Contributor 

Welcome to the site
Old 08-18-2008, 07:54 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

Welcome ,here.Lot to learn here
Old 08-19-2008, 05:10 AM

Send a message via AIM to Bill Farnie
Distinctions
VOM 

Welcome to the PF. Go here to find out about the ASF

http://www.archives.gov/research/gui...roups/160.html

It is well that war is so terrible, or we should get too fond of it. General Robert E. Lee