The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-07-2002, 09:19 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default An 18 month "report card"!

I've been watching the on-going "feud" of political idealisms between James & Superscout with some amusement (and alarm I might add) and thought it appropriate to give a somewhat "brief" accounting of the past 18 months under GEE-DUBYAS' administration. As compared to the "previous" 8 years under a slightly more "Liberal" administration.

Are we "better off" now than we were then??

Don't think so!

VA hospitals are shutting down clinics, cutting back medical services, reducing stafffing levels to below what is considered "dangerously low" levels of employees to adequately deliver appropriate medical care, (source---Veterans service organizations such as DAV, V V A, VFW, MOPH, etc.) Many hospitals are CLOSING DOWN future admissions and some are backed up for future appointments for qualified vets for a year OR MORE! These hospitals are considered "vital" as centers for "disaster & war related" trauma & illnesses in case of suspected terrorists attacks!

Disabled and sick veterans are waiting longer than ever for their disability compensation claims to be adjudicated. Evidence has shown that the "simple" cases are being "pushed" through the system to offer the "appearance" that progress is being made while the serious, more difficult claims are still being stalled in beauracratic red tape with no clear prospect of a timely solution.

I suppose MOST folks on this forum (and elsewhere for that matter) don't have a CLUE that the "current" Director of the Department of Veterans Affairs Anthony Principi was named to this position by GEE-DUBYA for his "past" performances in gathering campaign funds for the Pres and the republican party huh? Not ONLY that, before he became "Director" of the VA he held the "lofty" position of CEO of QTC services. A firm which "contracts" outside medical exams & physican "opinions" for C & P exams for the VA. These "contracts" were worth "millions" of $$$$ for QTC while their "record" of performance with regards to "fairness" & "timelyness" of these "exams" and their subsequent "opinions" were at best "suspect"---this according the a GAO report AND an internal OIG report from the VA themselves!

All this while GW "pledged"---"A promise made is a promise kept" in his campaign to garner the more than 6 to 1 military and retired, disabled military voters! But-----his administrations "budget" fails MISERABLY to even come CLOSE to meeting the requirements necessary to fund these programs---AND he has EVEN gone on record---publicly---to state he would V-E-T-O any bill that comes across his desk that would "fund" con-current receipt of VA disability compensation & military retirement pay!!!!!

Now IF that's "keeping a promise"----then I MUST be missing something here!

Also, take a good look at "Corporate America",---Enron, World Com, Xerox, and on, and on, and on.

One of Gee-Dubyas' "good-ole-boys" from the GREAT STATE of TEXAS, Republican Senator Phil Graham has been "blocking" a bill in Congress (with I'm SURE the Presidents blessings) that would make SURE the Board of Directors of large companies like Enron were "held more accountable" for the "accounting practices" of their companies! Why do you suppose that "good-ole-boy" Phil is doing this?? Because his W-I-F-E sits on the Board of Directors of ENRON---that's WHY????

The current head of the SEC (Securities & Exchange Commission) appointed by GEE-DUBYA has gone on record stating he is AGAINST tighter controls & more "regulation" for coporate America???

What about the "last" administration you say?

For decades, the accounting industry has beaten back efforts to subject it to stronger government supervision. Against the backdrop of the savings and loan crisis of the 1980s, when taxpayers spent billions of dollars bailing out failed thrifts, extensive hearings in the House produced lots of criticism of the auditors and little if any change.
During the Clinton administration, some of the same lawmakers now calling for reform thwarted much of SEC Chairman Arthur Levitt?s agenda to regulate the industry.
Since 1990, accountants and their political action committees have given $57.4 million to federal candidates (mostly Republicans) and political parties, according to the Center for Responsive Politics.

Yep, that's what we need awright GW----LESS REGULATION!!!!

Anyway. I'm not TOTALLY upset with GW and his "agenda"----I DO think he's doing OK in the "War on Terrorism"----But, I think just about ANYONE that got elected would follow the "advice" of good sound military advisors and do their dead level best to see that ALL amercans are safe and our way of life protected.

I'll have more "later"---but, SO FAR, at least in "domestic" policy, he gets a GREAT BIG "F"---for FAILURE in my considered opinion!

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

"I ain't no fortunate son"--CCR

"We have shared the incommunicable experience of war..........We have felt - we still feel - the passion of life to its top.........In our youth our hearts were touched with fire"

Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2002, 08:45 AM

Distinctions
Staff VOM 
Post GW

The best exam and follow up report I've ever had with respect to the VA was a QTC exam. From your post it seems I might have been one of the luck ones but I've not heard many complains about those doctors, not in this area.

We have not had any cut backs in numbers of hospital beds in this area, however there is clearly an attempt to empty the local VA hospital of it's PTSD patients. They are giving them a month's supply of meds and putting them in half-way houses. Some of those folks need more supervision than that.

As far as claims go, well I do have a vested interest in that issue and certainly agree that the VA is falling down.

As far as the Nation's economy, world events and 9/11 may be playing a bigger roll than Bush policies. I'd give George a "C". Also keep in mind that until there is some form of meaningful campaign reform we will have the best politicans that Money Can Buy - in both parties.

Stay helathy, you almost have to,
Andy
Old 07-08-2002, 12:43 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default I wish

they would close every friggin' VA hospital in the country and just let us use our cards at any hospital we choose. It would not be any great loss and would be cheaper to operate than those old dinosaurs with crap doctors.

I just was informed I have a C&P in Charleston on Weds. The time, 6 PM. Why 6pm? Well, they can't keep doctors around full time that are worth a shit so they have to hire locals to come in for evening work. Every good doctor they get leaves. The ones I've had that are good leave because, "They just won't let us practice good medicine". What's that tell ya'll.

Now Gimp, Billy Bob Clinton took office with the economy on the rise itself without Gov. intervention. When the economy started it's downturn, before Bubba left, I didn't blame him cause' that's the way economy's go. I think 9-11 had an effect on the whole country including Wall Street. Also, we have had to pump tons of more bucks into the DOD. Bush is handleing the war as best as possible. when your dealing with those assholes in the middle east nothin' for certain. Bubba did nothing about Bin Laudin and his group, and didn't have to deal with all these homicidal bombers from Nutcake Land. I'm not giving him great marks on the domestic side, but he's had his work cut out for him in the first 12 months, more than Billy Bob had in 8 years. I'm still givin' him a chance.

Still a Dixiecrat!

Packo

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
Old 07-08-2002, 05:51 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Look guys,

I never said ole GW was ALL bad! I do realize that 9/11 has definately had an impact on certain things in the zoo called D.C., however what you guys are failing to comprehend is that HIS budget was SET B-E-F-O-R-E that tragic event!!

This ain't NOTHING new. The service organizations were ALL raising hell BEFORE that happened. And, you can't tell me that you aren't (or at least you should be) just a little bit pi$$ed-off about his statement that he will V-E-T-O ANY BILL containing language that would fund concurrent receipt!!

Also, the "practices" of those companies WERE in place while ole "Bubba" was in office for sure---But HIS S.E.C chairman tried for EIGHT years to get Congress to authorize more "regulatory" authority to PREVENT this kind of $hit from happening and was thwarted each and every time by the Republican led Congress----Don't belive me----check the congressional record and GAO reports during the Clinton years---it's ALL there. GEE-DUBYA's (and especially the republican congressional leadership) policies are DESIGNED to help these jerks continue their rape of our business communties and employees 401K pension funds.

I've been attempting to tell all the folks around here (and everywhere for that matter!) what would happen when ole "GEE-DUBYA" got in office ----and guess what?? It's ALL playing aout just like I predicted!

Andy, glad you got a good experience with QTC---mine was a freakin NIGHTMARE---as was the majority as the GAO reports and the VA OIG.

Packo my Suthern Brother----good luck with YOUR exam---I hope and pray your's goes as well as Andy's. BUT, I'm afraid I'm gonna have to disagree with your hope that the VA hospitals all go "belly up". These institutions are responsible for MORE medical breakthroughs and treatment practices for the type of illnesses and traumatic injuries suffered by Vets than ANY other medical facilities in history! They ARE capable of excellent care and treatment IF FUNDED PROPERLY, as their long and valuable history has shown. God help us if we are turned over to the same HMO's and private practice "shenanigens" that have taken place with that "other" Guvment funded craphouse, Medicare!

I hate to say it, but I "TOLD" you so!!

Yo Frand,

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

"We have shared the incommunicable experience of war..........We have felt - we still feel - the passion of life to its top.........In our youth our hearts were touched with fire"

Old 07-08-2002, 09:41 PM

Distinctions
Staff VOM 
Cool QTC

Gimp: When I went to the QTC doctor, sat down, pulled up my sleve and he took my blood pressure right away. It was 60 over 40. Recall his response, it was,
"Holy Sh!t, you didn't drive here did you?" His report ran along the lines of, "You won't have to pay him long." When I didn't die after a few years that's when they started messing with me.

I'm sorry on a second count but I too would close the VA hospitals and giving us an insurance card equal to Blue Cross Blue Shield Master Medical. Around here one hospital will have a lot of Harvard types, another hospital will have Yale folks and the VA will employee people who got their degree from the College of St. Thomas (wherever the hell that is.) As of last December I talked with a VA doctor who had not heard of the cancer drugs I've been receiving since December of 1999. It seems Vets should be allowed to obtain the best medical care they can get.

Several years ago I was seeing a doctor from India for PTSD. After 3 visits she asked if she could just ask me some questions she had about Vietnam. She was a nice woman but had no business dealing with PTSD people. Her list of questions included, "What is a claymore? What is a tracer? What's a FAC? Why is it bad to put on bug repelent and then go pee?" After almost 45 minutes she asked what a "Hog" was. I got up and walked out. Didn't yell or swear but that woman had no right being paid to work with Vietnam Vets. (I truly hope you have had better experiences.)

I don't want to stress out anyone who uses the VA for all your medical needs. In some areas the quality of the doctors might be better, sure hope it is. I've said we have lots of beds in our local VA hospital and that's true. But it's not a good place to go to get better.
Hey Paco, how's your hip; he asked rhetorically.

Stay healthy,
Andy
Old 07-09-2002, 04:19 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Hey fella,

You don't have to convince me that "changes" are needed within the VA health care system to prevent things from happening of the likes of which happened to Packo and his hip replacement, Hell I just got through fighting a more than three year battle in Federal court with the VA for medical malpractice that nearly KILLED my a$$, remember?? They have been allowed to hire less than adequately qualified doctors in the past due MAINLY to their inability to get the FUNDING necessary to prevent these doctors being hired instead of more qualified ones! the MAIN problem is that there is NO "accountability" at the FREAKIN TOP!!! At the HIGHEST levels of so-called "management" within the VA. Each and every VA hospital is run or operated like a "franchise". The Director of each hospital is pretty much given a "free hand" to run the show as HE or SHE sees fit. Meeting only the most limited & least regulated conditions from Washignton of which has been directed. There are NO actual performance standards or guidelines in place for these "directors" to be evaluated regulalrly by the "upper" management to determine how their individual management techniques and structure are being implemented and their overall effectiveness in meeting the goals and objectives to serve and treat veterans!

The Tampa VA hospital is TOTALLY different than the one in Atlanta---THANK GOD! But, it SHOULDN'T BE!! But, as long as presidents keep appointing the likes of Anthony Principi to head up this agency and Congress allows the un-restricted & non-productive managemet practices to take place it will continue.

According to Secretary Principi?s biography provided by the VA website,
Principi was a senior Vice-President of Lockheed Martin IMS. See:
http://www.va.gov/biographies/principi.htm

And News USA, February 2001 issue states that Principi was Senior Vice
President and Chief Executive of Lockheed Martin IMS, during 1995-

Lockheed Martin has a long history of committing fraud against the
American taxpayer, See:
http://support.casals.com/aaaflash1/...AAControl=3359
And see: Lockheed Martin Scam?s taxpayers up to 100 million dollars:
http://www.commondreams.org/headlines01/0409-04.htm

During the time that Secretary Principi was the Chief Executive at the
wholly owned subsidiary of Lockheed Martin the prepass system was
developed which allows heavy trucks to by-pass weight stations.

Lockheed Martin developed partnerships with: Cisco, AT&T, and Qualcomm
in this project. According to Secretary Principi?s government
disclosure forms obtain under the Freedom of Information Act, Principi
owned stock in Cisco, AT&T, and Qualcomm, as well as other
Corporation.

usinginsiderinformation Secretary Principi purchased Stock in Cisco,
AT &T, and Qualcomm, knowing that the stock price would go up, which
it did, because of the work he did as CEO at Lockheed Martin IMS. See:
http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/...le/ppre_cp.htm
http://www.capu.net/profiles/lock.shtml
And: http://www.qualcomm.com/press/pr/rel.../press652.html

Some current Directors of Lockheed Martin and Qualcomm also served on
the ill-fated ENRON Corporation.
Quote:
The AFL-CIO has called on the 20 public companies where 10 long-time
Enron directors still hold board seats -- including Qualcomm,
Lockheed Martin, Motorola, and Owens Corning -- not to renominate those
directors for new terms this year. The federation is particularly
concentrating on ex-CEO Kenneth L. Lay and members of Enron's audit
committee, who have come in for the most scathing criticism so far.
Unquote. See:
http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/...20212_1828.htm

Secretary Principi is worth Millions, and much of that money came from
defrauding the American Taxpayers, and based on his
knowledge of developments within the Corporations wherein he held high
positions? Secretary Principi as head of the Department of Veterans
Affairs continues to line his pockets with ill-gotten gain, and should
be investigated by the Security and Exchange Commission. He IS just a big a CROOK in my opinion as some of the other ill-gotten friends of the current administration!!

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

Old 07-09-2002, 04:51 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Presidents

What ever they do while in office is part of history, I wouldn't walk across the street to shit on Bill, but he was a pretty good president. GW is not perfict, there is no way to get 450 house members and 100 sen. members to agree on anything.
I am so glad I don't have to deal with a VA hospital, luck of the draw.
I went in one once about 20 years ago, the first thing I noticed was the smell, What ever GW does to make his "history" I truly hope he takes care of the Vetrans. And then Teachers, Police, and Fire Fighters.
Im gona have to go back to a VA hospital and vist, maybe bring a box of fudge bars.
Ron
Old 07-09-2002, 10:30 AM

Distinctions
Staff VOM 
Lightbulb Gimp

It?s clear we both want the best for Veterans. We just have different ideas as to how to accomplish that task. It would appear you want the Fed?s to take care of things, I?d like to see dollars spent locally or even better by individuals. Maybe it?s a big government vs. small government debate.

If the nation spent billions of dollars, which would be necessary to get all the VA hospitals on a par with private facilities, some vets would still have to drive 100 miles or more to get treatment. That could be a problem. Why not allow the individual to go to a hospital or doctor who is local and who the patient trusts.
Organizations like VA hospitals seem to always be bogged down with people saying, I only have 12 years till retirement, and act that way. Private hospitals often have that, lets invent something new and get rich spirit. Being an experiment myself, the ?lets get creative? doctors, who will never be lured to VA hospitals, sounds like a good idea.

Gimp, of course I know you have had serious problems with the VA and their hospitals. I mentioned Paco because I wasn?t trying to ?get in your face?. Don?t think there is any argument that what we have is broke. Go ahead and assign blame to whomever you like, no problem, there?s plenty of blame to go around.
Perhaps giving Vets an option would be an idea worth exploring. Like school vouchers, a person could use the VA treatments centers OR could have an insurance card to get treatment on his/her own.

Stay healthy,
Andy
Old 07-09-2002, 11:10 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default I talk with Doctors

everyday. Part of my job and cause' I work in a hospital. The VA system has been going down the toilet since the 60's and the trend countinues down. Doctors I speak with consider the VA an joke and would NEVER go to work for them. (most have all done numerous rotations in VAMC'S) Again, they are not allowed to practice good medicine. I appreciate all the research that has been done in VA facilities but it can be done elsewhere and maybe not on Veteran Guinnea Pigs. It's awful tough, as you know old friend, to sue the US GOV.

Gimp, your zeal toward Veterans and the work you do for them is unsurpassed. You, ma deah sur, are someone I look up to because you have the free time and put it into trying to help, but the system is so broken it can never be fixed. I believe that if we elected you to the Presidency, we would see very little gain in the Veterans sector. Why, not because you wouldn't bust a hump to get it, but the Government is a Hydra and as you attack one head, another will bite you on the bum.

I have always felt special being a Veteran and having our own medical facilities. I spent 13 years busting a hump in that same system and believing it could change. I was tilting at windmills. I believe if we kept the hospitals but gave Vets a choice, the hospitals would be empty within a couple of years. Yes, there are some that are much better than others, as in the private sector, and I agree it shouldn't be, but if they are that good, they would survive. I used to think that at a VA facility, at least they understood where I was coming from being a Vet. Well, you don't have to be a cow to know where milk comes from, I was treated like shit at the VA and like a human being at Beaufort Memorial. Most had no idea I was a Vet, just another patient.

Some day, Gimp, I would love to just sit with my Southern Brother, have a few sips, and both of us solve all the problems of the world. If we couldn't do that, the exchange of idea's will be a highlight in my life.

Deo Venci

Your bro,

Packo

PS Andy, Doc, and I will try to solve most of the worlds problems this weekend, but promise to save you a few!

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
Old 07-09-2002, 12:41 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to judyvillecco
Thumbs down Report card

Well down here in Bahai Alabama NW Fla the VA has decided PTSD gets denied across the board this year for any veteran. Hadn't happened before...now I ask you... why this year? Doesn't look good for the Bush brothers in Northwest Florida if their wanting Veterans votes. We already put two Democratic Senators in and although we voted the Bush boys in we can vote them out....... Like I said put them in a bag and they all smell the same to me. Ah yes...me smell rats. Not to mention the promised VA hospital by the Republicans here has come to nigh Promises, promises.......Seems big Boeing has been awarded lots of money in this area though enough to take care of lots of vets. Lots of corporate greed helpings being doled out..or should I say Bushed out.....I'll be out to vote. Personally I voted for MCCain. I always vote for losers.