The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Warfare > Warfare

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-20-2021, 05:34 AM

Exclamation With tens of thousands of Russian troops massing at Ukraine border, buildup becomes m

With tens of thousands of Russian troops massing at Ukraine border, buildup becomes more ominous
By: Jamie McIntyre - Snr. Writer for Washington Examiner - 04-20-21
Re: https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/p...s-more-ominous

100K TROOPS REPORTED ON UKRAINE BORDER: With the number of Russian forces massing on Ukraine's eastern border now at 100,000, according to one European Union official, Moscow’s insistence that the deployment is a routine military exercise and a response to NATO actions is becoming more dubious by the day.

The massive show of force, by far the largest since Russia’s invasion and seizure of Crimea in 2014, along with its latest threat to block foreign ships in the Black Sea, have ratcheted up tensions and sparked alarm in Kyiv and Washington.

“We do continue to see that buildup. It, as it was before, is very seriously concerning to us,” said press secretary John Kirby at yesterday’s Pentagon briefing. “We call on Russia to obviously make their intentions more clear. We don't believe that this buildup is conducive to security and stability,” he said. “And they can start by being more transparent about what their intentions are and what they're doing.”

US PROTESTS BLACK SEA BLOCKADE:

“The United States expresses its deep concern over Russia’s plans to block foreign naval ships and state vessels in parts of the Black Sea, including near occupied Crimea and the Kerch Strait,” said a statement issued by State Department spokesman Ned Price.

“This represents yet another unprovoked escalation in Moscow’s ongoing campaign to undermine and destabilize Ukraine. This development is particularly troubling amid credible reports of Russian troop buildup in occupied Crimea and around Ukraine’s borders,” said Price. “The United States reaffirms its unwavering support for Ukraine’s sovereignty and territorial integrity within its internationally recognized borders, extending to its territorial waters. The United States does not, and will never, recognize Russia’s purported annexation of Crimea.”

‘NOBODY IN RUSSIA IS AFRAID OF JOE BIDEN’:

South Carolina Republican Sen. Lindsey Graham, one of President Joe Biden’s sharpest critics, argues that Russian President Vladimir Putin is emboldened by what he sees as “a weak adversary.”

“What did Putin say when Biden called him a killer? The next time we talk, I want it to be on live TV. Meet me there, because I don't think you can stand up to me,” Graham said yesterday in an interview on Fox. “Nobody in Russia is afraid of Joe Biden. Nobody in the world is afraid of Joe Biden. And that's dangerous for us here at home.”

“We're withdrawing from Afghanistan against sound military advice. We're trying to get back into the Iranian nuclear agreement, and the Iranians are threatening to enrich at 60%. You need 90% to get a bomb. The Chinese are pushing us around out in Asia. The border is completely out of control. So, what Putin's looking at is, in his mind, a weak adversary,” Graham told Fox News anchor Ben Domenech. “I have never seen so much deterioration of our national security in such a short period of time as I do right now. On multiple fronts, Ben, America is weaker, and the world is more dangerous. And I blame Joe Biden and Tony Blinken for this, so far.”

PUTIN TESTS BIDEN WITH MILITARY BUILDUP AS GOP LAWMAKERS CALL FOR US SHOW OF FORCE

TRUMP, ‘THEY NEVER DID THIS WITH ME’: In his first sit-down interview since leaving office, former President Donald Trump told Fox News host Sean Hannity that Putin is clearly testing Biden.

“Well, something's going on because they never did this with me, that I can tell you. Nobody was tougher on Russia. And frankly, getting along with Vladimir Putin is a good thing. And I got along with him very well,” Trump said in an interview conducted at his Mar-a-Lago estate in Palm Beach, Florida. “The relationship was very good, very strong. But they never encircled Ukraine.”

Trump also said China is testing Biden’s resolve about protecting Taiwan. “China, they never sent warships all over the place like they're doing now. It looks very serious, going on with Taiwan,” he said. “So, now something's going on with Taiwan. Something maybe is going on with Ukraine. This never was a big subject when I was president.”

When Hannity suggested Biden might be too old for the job, Trump did not take the bait, perhaps aware he would be 78 in four years if he were to be reelected. “So, he's going to be 79 years old. That is not old. I know many people in their late 80s that are just as good as they were years ago. I spoke to one who's 92-years-old. He said, I feel better than I did 20 years ago. Seventy-eight, 79 is not old.”

Good Tuesday morning and welcome to Jamie McIntyre’s Daily on Defense, written and compiled by Washington Examiner National Security Senior Writer Jamie McIntyre (@jamiejmcintyre) and edited by Victor I. Nava. Email here with tips, suggestions, calendar items, and anything else. Sign up or read current and back issues at DailyonDefense.com. If signing up doesn’t work, shoot us an email and we’ll add you to our list. And be sure to follow us on Twitter: @dailyondefense.

HAPPENING TODAY: This morning, we’ll hear publicly from the top U.S. military commander responsible for Afghanistan for the first time since President Joe Biden’s announcement a week ago that all U.S. and NATO forces will depart the country by Sept. 11.

U.S. Central Commander Marine Gen. Frank McKenzie, whose area of responsibility stretches from the Middle East to Afghanistan, will be testifying before the House Armed Services Committee at 11 a.m.

In addition, U.S. European Commander Gen. Tod Wolters, who is also NATO’s top general, will be testifying at 10 a.m. before the House Appropriations Defense Subcommittee, but the hearing will be closed. No doubt, Russia’s latest flexing of military muscle, and what U.S. intelligence thinks Putin is up to, will be of high interest.

WARNING ON NAVALNY: The White House yesterday repeated warnings to Moscow that if imprisoned opposition leader Alexei Navalny, who is reportedly gravely ill, dies, “there will be consequences.”

“We continue to reiterate our view that what happens to Mr. Navalny in the custody of the Russian government is the responsibility of the Russian government and that they will be held accountable by the international community,” said White House press secretary Jen Psaki at yesterday’s briefing.

The U.S. has already publicly accused Putin’s security services of poisoning Navalny, but Psaki said the U.S. will not “telegraph our punches,” if Navalny dies, “there will be consequences to the Russian government, and we reserve those options.”

On Sunday, national security adviser Jake Sullivan told CNN the Biden administration has decided to engage directly and privately with Moscow on the Navalny situation. “We have judged that, rather than just make general statements publicly, the best way to deal with this issue is privately and through diplomatic channels direct to the uppermost levels of the Russian government.”

Yesterday, Sullivan spoke by phone to his Russian counterpart, Nikolai Patrushev, secretary of the Russian Security Council, and afterward, the NSC issued an anodyne statement saying the two “discussed a number of issues in the bilateral relationship, as well as regional and global matters of concern.”

“Mr. Sullivan and Secretary Patrushev also discussed the prospect of a presidential summit between the United States and Russia and agreed to continue to stay in touch,” the statement from NSC spokeswoman Emily Horne said.

“Make no mistake about what is happening here: activist Aleksei Navalny is being murdered in front of the world by Vladimir Putin for the crime of exposing Putin’s vast corruption,” tweeted Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders Sunday. “Navalny’s doctors must be allowed to see him immediately.”

DC GUARD ACTIVATED AS PRECAUTION: Washington, D.C., is calling up 250 National Guard troops in case the verdict in the Minneapolis trial of former police officer Derek Chauvin, charged with murder in the death of George Floyd, sparks civil unrest in the nation’s capital.

The D.C. National Guard will be “in a support role to the Metropolitan Police Department,” to “assist police with street closures at multiple intersections in order to provide safety in and around pedestrian areas,” said a statement released by the D.C. National Guard last night.

“This is our home, and we are dedicated to the safety and security of our fellow citizens of the District and their right to safely and peacefully protest,” said Brig. Gen. Aaron Dean, adjutant general of the D.C. National Guard. “We are prepared to help provide a safe environment for our fellow citizens to exercise their first amendment right.”

Last night, the Army approved the support to local law enforcement “as needed until May 9.”

MORE WOMEN IN TOP POSTS, GUARD PICK:

President Joe Biden intends to nominate a woman to be the No. 2 admiral at the U.S. Coast Guard, according to Commandant Adm. Karl Schultz.

“Please join me in celebrating the nomination of Vice Adm. Linda Fagan for Vice Commandant of the U.S. Coast Guard,” Schultz tweeted yesterday. “Pending Senate confirmation, Vice Adm. Fagan would serve as the Coast Guard’s 32nd Vice Commandant and would be the Service’s first female four-star admiral.”

Also yesterday, the Pentagon announced Biden has picked Mara Karlin to serve as assistant secretary of defense for strategy, plans and capabilities. “Dr. Karlin will serve as my team’s principal adviser on national security and defense strategy, and ensure the Department of Defense is aligning its priorities, capabilities, and contingency plans to today’s changing and dynamic threat landscape, including the pacing challenge from China,” said Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Personal note: Well - What will our President do!? Talk is cheap - a firm reaction to aggressor's aren't being made - and yet America is still doing nothing. This is a test to see if the USA has a backbone to stand up for their allies. Time is marching on by the time the US makes a move - the countries in question will have already have been over-run. Mr. Biden - you're being tested right now - and it seems your words mean little to those who will soon hold the ground - that everyone is watching! Weakness is showing Mr. President - you will have to do something - or backdown to the aggressors and show NATO alias what our true colors are! This would be awful! Sure we've seen our share of fighting - and yet another fight would know doubt cost you your Presidency - but at least go out with a backbone and show the US & NATO we mean what we say - I'm sure our Generals are upset because we've got nothing in the field to counter these aggressors. Had we made countering moves we could have slowed down the aggressors and maybe - just maybe - NATO would join us for once! Words aren't getting it done - we've got to step up and be counted! It's you're call Mr. President!
-
Boats

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links