The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-12-2003, 05:01 AM

Default praise be to the RUCK-SACK

Up until last night the ruck-sack definately didn't make the list of equipment that I really liked... now it sits right near the top.

Last night the soldiers in the train-up for Ranger School (a train-up injury put me out of) a group of ten buddies was hit by a truck about 50 M after crossing an intersection. Five were either hit by the truck or by a buddy that was hit by the truck. The shoulders were icy and they were not as far over as they normally would have been.

Myself and a buddy arrived not long after it happened with the intent of taking pictures for the company photo-album of our pre-ranger buddies on their 12-mile qualification road march... we knew something was wrong when we saw most of them walking backward on the route to their vehicles.

The driver was an elderly gentleman. He was not hurt, but was badly shaken. Those hit said they didn't know the vehicle was even coming until it hit them - pretty sure that his headlights were not on despite it being dark out. They were all wearing reflective gear.

So why is the ruck-sack so great? A few skinned elbows... one knocked noggin'... some sore muscles... a tooth will probably be lost and that's it. My buddies that were hit and the emergency crews on the scene thought that the ruck-sacks they had on their backs absorbed most of the impact of the 3/4 ton pick-'em-up truck that hit them at an estimated 20-25 mph. Three of the five were not even taken to the hospital.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-2003, 10:49 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Great story Brad. Thanks. I bought a ruck-sack at an Army surplus store some years ago. I use it when going to sporting events and put all our stuff in it, and strap it on. It gets searched now, but that is OK. Of course, it is great for hiking. What is your training schedule like now ? How long have you been in the Army ? Are you in for 3 years or are you making it a career ?

Take care,

Larry
Old 12-12-2003, 04:40 PM

only a great story because no one lost career, limb or life!

right now my training schedule is like being in college again - but playing a sport too. A huge contrast to basic and OCS!

I'm coming up on my first year in Feburary.

My path into the Army came with an 8 year reserve commitment with a minimum of the first three years active duty... I have a crazy feeling I'll be hanging around for a few more years than that!
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote