The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-26-2009, 10:12 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Last Week

Visited my older Sister in California last week. She is 80 and has Alzheimers. She still lives alone, but her daughter lives a few blocks away and supervises her very well. She definitely is have some serious memory problems. We had an enjoyable trip under the circumstances. Her Husband was a Bomber Pilot in WWII. He flew the B-25. When he was in High School he wanted to learn how to fly and took flight lessons at the local airport. When he graduated from High School he joined the Army Back in 1941. When they found out he had a pilot license they shipped him off to Pilots school after Basic. He had graduated from High School when he was 17 before he turned 18 he was a 2nd LT flying Bombers B-25 and before he turned 19 He was a 1st LT flying His own plane as the lead pilot. Kids grew up fast in those days. He kept his pilot's license and flew commercially for various corportions. He passed away in 1988, age 65. A great guy. My Sister never remarried. WWII was a pivotal point in many peoples lives. Its hard to see the "greatest generation" getting older.

Keith
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-2009, 11:02 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Yep , it is Keith and as their children we are in the car right behind them on this train of life. In 2005 3/5 Cav. held a reunion at The Wall. I had tried to go up to The Wall twice before but failed and wasn't sure I could this time either. Three guys who were in my platoon were there also and saw me faltering. Bobby put his arm around me and said " come on LT lets go say hello to our brothers " and I finally made it to The Wall.Hello not goodbye. There were thousands of people there that were my age. Walked over to the WWII monument and there were thousands of people there but I only saw two older guys with tears in their eyes. Someday there will be only two old guys at The Wall with tears in their eyes
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote