Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-04-2006, 10:13 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default General Scott's Arlington Interment

Hello to all you wonderful SCOTTY FANS!
HAPPY 4TH OF JULY!!

As America celebrates its 230th Independence Day today, what better time to write about a great fighter for our independence - the Reddest, Whitest, Bluest American, our HERO, Brigadier General Robert Lee Scott, Jr.

As promised in our last update, today I am writing of General Scott's internment at Arlington National Cemetery on Monday, June 5, 2006, 3:00 p.m. The day was filled with thoughts of Scotty, seeing his family again, seeing our fan club presidents together again for the first time with George Fisher home from Iraq ... seeing the grave sites at Arlington, the monuments in D.C., friends, family, fan club members, soldiers, fallen soldiers, it was a day that will never be forgotten. Where do I begin ...

Monday at 12:30 p.m. Mike and I rode our motorcycles into the parking lot of the Best Western Hotel in Washington D.C. where we were met by those three "snot nosed boys" George Fisher, Guerry Bruner and David DeVore - who if not for these three boys writing letters to Scotty in 1974 I would not be writing to you fans today! Lots of hugs in the parking lot for we haven't seen George in a full year and he was finally home from Iraq. And, it isn't often we get to see Guerry and David ... all three Fan Club Presidents together. After all they ARE 43 yr old men with families and careers and responsibilities now. Up to their room we went to freshen our helmet heads and then all 6 of us (6 which includes Dave's daughter, Lucky) piled into one vehicle for the drive to Arlington. George was the designated driver and Dave was the navigator and I threw in my back seat directions. A few u-turns and stops for directions and we found ourselves driving through the gates and columns up an impressive drive into Arlington. We stopped at the traffic guard who directed us to go forward and turn at King Drive and park in that lot. We spied a building with a van in front and out of this van I recognized General Scott's grandchildren who I met at his funeral services on March 3rd. I said hello to Robin's daughter Linda whom I had emailed a few times for particulars at Arlington. Linda said her mom was inside and on the lookout for us, so please feel free to go inside. Once inside this building, we were directed to a room off to the left. Inside was Robin with husband Bruce. Right now all I remember is Robin looking up and saying with a smile "George, George, George" and she got up and gave George a big hug and then she pulled out an old photo that she'd found at her dad's house of George, Guerry and David from when they were 13 yrs old standing with her dad. What a great photo. We then presented Robin with a book of all the nice emails we received FROM ALL YOU WONDERFUL FANS with all your condolences to the family. We printed your emails on stationery with the flag in the background and bound it in a 3-ring binder with the Fan Club emblem on the cover. Dear fans, never forget how much Scotty loved you and appreciated you, likewise his daughter Robin Lee.

For the next hour, more and more people gathered into the room to pay their respects to Scotty's family. We were fortunate enough to meet three FAN CLUB MEMBERS: Allison Moore, Kevin Davison and Ken Kraft. Allison used to work at the Museum of Aviation but moved to Oregon in 2001, then back to Virginia just last year, so she was able to make the drive. Kevin Davison, member since 1999, flew in from Maine. Ken Kraft and his wife Kathy also drove from Virginia. Ken has been a long time member emailing of days when Scotty was in Winter Park and Rollins College - that's where Ken's grandmother obtained Scotty's book and autograph for him! We were thrilled to meet our fan club members! When the time came for us to leave and meet outside, we grabbed Kevin and threw him in the car with us as he was traveling by bus/metro.

The Arlington folks had us assemble our vehicles in a row. We then drove down to what they called a "transfer site". It was here that we got out of our cars to view the transferring of the two urns containing the ashes of General Scott and his beloved wife Kitty into the flag draped coffin on the horse drawn caisson. There was a USAF Honor Guard, complete with marching band and rifle team performing the ceremony. Once the urns were transferred, the band began its lone drum roll and started to march along the cemetery route, followed by the rifle team, then the horse drawn caisson, the honor guard and then the family and following after anyone else who wanted to walk in the procession. In our little group, Mike and Kevin Davison walked while the rest of us got back in the car and drove behind.

The caisson rolled along uphill and downhill and around gentle curves finally stopping as the drum fell silent. We could see the plot of land up to our right that had a little canopy structure erected with seating area for the family and in front of them was a platform that the urns were placed. The 6 member honor guard unfolded the American Flag and held it over the two urns the entire length of the ceremony. It was now that the family was seated and everyone had gathered around, that the chaplain began to speak ... but out of his mouth I heard, not words, but a jet engine noise, and then another and another ... YES FOLKS, I think some divine intervention and a humorous fighter pilot had something to do with this final moment in his life for one by one jet, after jet, after jet, after jet was taking off right over our heads an you could NOT hear but every 13th word the chaplain was saying. There couldn't have been a better send off for someone who was noted for BORING A HOLE IN THE SKY!

The chaplain finished and closed his bible. The honor guard performed the folding of the flag. The flag was presented to Robin by Lt. Gen. Donald Wetekam, formerly of Warner Robins Air Base and currently at the Pentagon. Then came the 21 gun salute by the rifle team, followed by the lone bugler playing 'TAPS'. Once concluded, the honor guard, rifle team and band all stepped in unison to the sound of the lone drum roll. In perfect cadence they marched off the grounds and down the path until out of site.

The services were concluded and final respects were said to the family. George Fisher presented Robin with the actual American Flag he lowered to half staff while serving in Iraq with the Georgia Army National Guard 48th BCT on March 3rd, the day of Scotty's funeral in Warner Robins and one that the Governor of Georgia had declared as a day of mourning for BRIG. GEN. ROBERT L. SCOTT, JR.

Our hero died February 27, his services were March 3rd and his burial June 5th. While we all mourn that day in February, it has been comforting to still write of our Hero and his family and friends all this time and the Fan Club will continue to write of our Scotty - because all of you have told us that's what you want AND THAT'S WHAT SCOTTY WOULD WANT.

We have received SO MANY emails that we plan to share with you over time. Emails with Scotty remembrances, so stay tuned for some future newsletters with uplifting Scotty stories!

GOD BLESS AMERICA
GOD BLESS OUR SERVICE MEN AND WOMEN

Your Scotty Friends,
Marilynn and Mike Pantera (on behalf of George, Guerry and David)
Midwest Chapter Presidents
Robert Lee Scott Fan Club Association
Old 07-04-2006, 08:25 PM

Distinctions
VOM 

salute to all our troops serving and have served
Old 07-05-2006, 09:00 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Ditto to Jerry D

If your going to suceed your going to have to know how to deal with failure. (Joe Torre).
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote