The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Branch Posts > Marines

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-30-2003, 04:32 AM

Distinctions
VOM 
Cool Meritorious Service

Meritorious Service

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Exclusive commentary by Jack Burns

Jul 29, 2003

The award of the Bronze Star to PFC Jessica Lynch has brought a flurry of comments from the media and ?experts? from all walks of life. Does she deserve it? Is it proper? Is she a hero? Doesn?t this elevate her to hero status? Is it justified?

As one who has been awarded a few of these and as one who has written a few of these, I feel qualified to comment on the award. I would request that anyone who has not been awarded a Bronze Star, keep their ?Damm? opinions to themselves.

Those of us who have ?Crosses, Stars, Medals and Badges? earned in combat are sick and tired of people who have not earned such items making money by commenting of the award of such. Unless you were standing next to the awardee, you don?t know Jack.

But, for those who don?t know; let?s examine the criteria for award:

Item One: The award requires the person to be serving in a combat zone: She qualifies.

Item Two: The award requires the person not be involved in aerial flight (The Air Medal is for that.): She qualifies.

Item Three: The award requires involvement in military operations with an armed enemy: She qualifies.

Item Four: The award may be for Heroism (Bronze Letter ?V? Device), Meritorious Achievement or Meritorious Service. She was not awarded a ?V? device.

So, was her award for Achievement or Service and was it Meritorious?

Certainly, survival under her circumstances was an achievement. Certainly, enduring the pain of being bounced around by the Iraqis and rescue without screaming her head off was an achievement. And, I think not mouthing off to the first news agency that offered her big bucks and not having a press agent were achievements; so, she achieved.

She served her Country and that service was positive. She was captured through no fault of her own. She was damaged through the actions of an armed enemy and had little chance to fight, but carried on, as best she could. Even if that was only continuing to take a breath, it was service to her Unit and Country; so, she served.

Meritorious actions are those that reflect credit on the Individual, Unit, Service and Country. She performed in a manner that is approved and therefore deserves merit and is meritorious. Her actions had worth, therefore merit.
Interestingly enough, at the end of WWII an award of the Combat Infantryman Badge or Combat Medical Badge was considered automatic qualification for the Bonze Star. They seem to have the same worth. They were a little more difficult to get in Vietnam.

If you don?t like women in combat, that is another issue. I?m not sure I want anyone in combat I can prevent from being there; ANYONE! But, this is not an issue of politics. It is also not an issue of others who deserve awards; many more are due. Hopefully, many more will be awarded for past action, in this war, and few for future incidents. It is an award for a young soldier who earned it. Just like many others, this soldier will live with this award and memory until death. All others ?Keep Off the Grass.?

http://www.washingtondispatch.com/article_6242.shtml

Sempers,

Roger
1961-1977
68/69
Once A Marine............Always A Marine.............

http://www.geocities.com/thedrifter001/
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links