The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-05-2003, 04:51 PM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 
Default Gary Holland

Did somebody mention Gary Holland? I remember a brief conversation between Gary and 15 Cav.

Chilidog
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-2003, 04:53 PM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 

SubjectDelta Company, 2/7Posted by1CAVCCO15MED I guess I can no longer avoid telling about them. This company and what happened to it changed my life forever. I went from someone who was doing my part in Vietnam to one who hated the war, hated the lifers and was unwilling even to salute the flag intil the late 1980's. Were they a punishment company? I never heard that. 2/7 was one battalion of the 3rd Brigade of the 1st Cav. I don't recall how many we had so I could be wrong on this but I think we had the 1/8, 1/7, 2/8, 1/9 and 1/12 in adddition to the 2/7. Most of our casualties in about a 3 month period of heavy casualties were 2/7 and most of them were Delta Company. The casualty reporter for the 3rd Brigade was in our company and he said they had over 300 casualties in 3 months. I remember one week. Delta company was set down in a grassy area that was in the middle of a horseshoe shaped NVA regimental base camp. They were slaughtered. Thirteen grunts came out of it. The casualties were coming in faster than we could treat them. We were not treating the "expectant". That is the first time we had to pour cases of peroxide on the floor of the treatment bunker to keep from falling in the blood. It would foam up about a foot high and we would sweep the foam out the door. The NVA either set fire to the grass or had flame throwers because the dead were horribly burned. They brought them in in slicks filled to the top. They were all tangled together and trying to get them out was like playing a game of "Barrel of Monkeys" I had just got out of the showers and was in a towel. I unloaded them dressed in a towel. The reason I think it was napalm is the burns were so wierd. There would be white bones of an arm sticking out of flesh that was only burned an inch or so. Fourth degree burns an inch from unburned flesh. The Cav "CA'ed" a bunch of clerks carrying typewriters. They set up in our mess tent and proceeded to type death certificates. Our clerks needed reinforcements. What happened next? They put Charlie Company in the same place th next day. They fared a little better. There were about 50 survivors. All the scenes of the day before repeated. What did they do the next day? They put in Bravo Company. About half survived. These kinds of things happened several times. The rumor going around was that when the Cav lost their colors in Korea, This was the batallion that lost them. They were put into the worst of everything. We in the treatment bunker were so angry at this that we declared war against the lifers and the war. Delta Company and 2/7 were a death sentence and all rules were off. Any guy could come to C Company from 2/7 and we would do anything to keep them out of the field at least for a while. We taught them how to fake rat bites with fingernail clippers. Rabies shots were good for a 3 week stay at the rear. If we knew the bite was fake we woud not give the shots with the understanding that if a lifer was around they would have to have the shot. Noone minded. One guy wanted to stay out due to being short. I told him he could break his hand. I told him how to do it with a friend hitting it with a rifle butt. It took him three tries. He cried in pain and joy. I have no regrets for any of this. After reading Hackworth's book and doing some recent thinking, I think the reason for this was some Battalion CO wanted his ticket punched big time and this is how he did it. He was a traitor. Boom, there it is.
Old 11-05-2003, 04:54 PM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 

SubjectGreat testimonyPosted byGary Holland Posted on7/5/00 1:44:51 PM
I had the same experiences you did, although I didn't think about faking rat bites. I advised dropping a boulder on the foot if they were desperate, or tossing the daily ant-malarial pill for Vivax type while taking the pill for Falciparum( the in-curable type). I also heard medics took up collections for those who completed their tours till the end. I expect they rarely had a chance to give it away- few if any survived. On further calculations their life axpectancy was barely 15 days. And despite all my efforts to find a single surviver to post on this web-site, not one has been found. That speaks volumes. And what book are you referring to by 'Hackworth'? Sounds interesting. Does anyone know how to access their unit diaries? That should tell a lot. I believe you, I, and most other medics I knew always gave medical advice to anyone to get them out of combat before they were killed. And when the Cav. heard we didn't eforce taking anti-malarial tablets by the grunts they ordered us to watch as each grunt put each tab in his mouth and swallow. We all refused. By 1969 most medics were in an unspoken mutiny against the war. We had the power to save more lives that way than try to patch them up later. And when I returned home from the war I had only one deep wish- to get away from humanity at all costs. It took eleven years living in solitude in the desert wilderness to finally overcome my revulsion for human nature. People are easier to love when you're a hermit. But my memories of the Army in Viet Nam still burn.
Old 11-05-2003, 11:04 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

That was the way we were. I read the book "Incursion" by JD Coleman. That attack by D 2/7 was done on the first day of a new battalion commander. He knew where the enemy was and knew that he was not putting his men down where he was supposed to. We did collect money for guys from 2/7th. We met one guy that lasted a year is all, maybe there were more but that is all we saw. I had the distinct feeling I didn't want to turn my back on him. What he had to do to survive probably was not what the military wanted him to do. I thought that was the worst day of my life until I had some very worse ones. When I went to the Wall the last time I stood in front of the section all those guys were on. What a very stupid waste.

Gary was on Quon Loi in Bravo Company 15th Med when I was there in Charlie Company. I often wonder how he is doing. Gary was always wanting us on the History Channel to confess our sins in Vietnam. He was very guilt ridden. I think James had more contact with him than any of us.
Old 11-06-2003, 01:06 AM
Doc.2/47

The first time I ever ran into a course in "two-man CPR"I naturally assumed they were refering to one medic and two victums so I signed right up.Wanted to find out if I had been doing it right.
Old 11-06-2003, 09:51 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

We both could probably teach such a course.