Default Bob Hope

Unfortuately, Bob Hope has passed on today. God Bless him
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2003, 06:45 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Angry

Got to pull security for his show on some mountains outside Danang Christmas of 71. God bless , he brought a piece of the world and a bunch of smiles to a lot of young soldiers. Salute
Old 07-28-2003, 07:05 AM

Distinctions
VOM 

Jul 28, 9:31 AM EDT

Bob Hope Dead at 100, His Publicist Says

By BOB THOMAS
Associated Press Writer

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Bob Hope, ski-nosed master of the one-liner and favorite comedian of servicemen and presidents alike, has died, less than two months after turning 100.

Hope died late Sunday of pneumonia, his longtime publicist Ward Grant said Monday. Hope's family was at his bedside at his home in Toluca Lake.

The nation's most-honored comedian, a millionaire many times over, was a star in every category open to him - vaudeville, radio, television and film, most notably a string of "Road" movies with longtime friend Bing Crosby. For decades, he took his show on the road to bases around the world, boosting the morale of servicemen from World War II to the Gulf War.

He perfected the one-liner, peppering audiences with a fusillade of brief, topical gags.

"I bumped into Gerald Ford the other day. I said, `Pardon me.' He said, `I don't do that anymore.'"

He poked fun gently, without malice, and made himself the butt of many jokes. His golf scores and physical attributes, including his celebrated ski-jump nose, were frequent subjects:

"I want to tell you, I was built like an athlete once - big chest, hard stomach. Of course, that's all behind me now."

When Hope went into one of his monologues, it was almost as though the world was conditioned to respond. No matter that the joke was old or flat; he was Bob Hope and he got laughs.

"Audiences are my best friends," he liked to say. "You never tire of talking with your best friends."

He was admired by his peers, and generations of younger comedians. Woody Allen called Hope "the most influential comedian for me."

Hope earned a fortune, gave lavishly to charity and was showered with awards, so many that he had to rent a warehouse to store them.

Through he said he was afraid of flying, Hope traveled countless miles to entertain servicemen in field hospitals, jungles and aircraft carriers from France to Berlin to Vietnam to the Persian Gulf. His Christmas tours became tradition.

He headlined in so many war zones that he had a standard joke for the times he was interrupted by gunfire: "I wonder which one of my pictures they saw?"

So often was Hope away entertaining, and so little did he see his wife, Dolores, and their four adopted children, that he once remarked, "When I get home these days, my kids think I've been booked on a personal appearance tour."

Hope had a reputation as an ad-libber, but he kept a stable of writers and had filing cabinets full of jokes. He never let a good joke die - if it got a laugh in Vietnam, it would get a laugh in Saudi Arabia.

On his 100th birthday, he was too frail to take part in public celebrations, but was said to be alert and happy - and overwhelmed by the outpouring of affection. The fabled intersection of Hollywood Boulevard and Vine Street was renamed Bob Hope Square, and President Bush established the Bob Hope American Patriot Award.

"He can't believe that this is happening and that he's made it to his Big 100," son Kelly Hope said at the time.

He was born Leslie Townes Hope on May 29, 1903, in Eltham, England, the fifth of seven sons of a British stonemason and a Welsh singer of light opera. The Hopes emigrated to the United States when he was 4 and settled in Cleveland. They found themselves in the backwash of the 1907 depression.

The boy helped out by selling newspapers and working in a shoe store, a drug store and a meat market. He also worked as a caddy and developed a lifelong fondness for golf. A highly competitive golfer, he later shot in the 70s and sponsored the Bob Hope Golf Classic, one of the nation's biggest tournaments.

Copyright 2003 Associated Press. All rights reserved.

http://customwire.ap.org/dynamic/sto...MPLATE=DEFAULT

Sempers,

Roger
:marine:

Thanks for the Memories.......

May He Rest in peace.......
1961-1977
68/69
Once A Marine............Always A Marine.............

http://www.geocities.com/thedrifter001/
Old 07-28-2003, 07:36 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Dear God,

... not that You need advance notice or anything like that, but I did want to send a message to be prepared for a great laugh or several, as one of Your greatest gifts to Americans, and to many other folks, is heading Your way. Bob Hope is probably sharing a one-liner with St. Pete even as we speak. And he's not much of a golfer, but if You let him pair up with Jesus, they will have some miraculous shots, hitting from on top of the water hazards.

Just wanted to thank You for Your gift of Bob Hope, and what he has meant to so many of us veterans.

Sincerely, and one of Yours,
Brice

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Old 07-28-2003, 09:15 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

I saw him in Vietnam.

People all over the world today are saying "Thanks for the memories".

Darrel
Old 07-28-2003, 09:26 AM

Watched his show in Chu-Lai in 1968. I had Uncles who saw his shows in WWII. I think he went something like 40 years without a Christmas at home with his family. He gave up his Christmass' for us.
Old 07-28-2003, 12:09 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default November 1967

Tokyo Army Hospital, I got to meet the man and his "troup" when they visited my ortho ward while I (and many, many others) were undergoing treatment and recovering from surgery prior to being shipped back to the states.

There'll NEVER be another one like him. A TRUE American hero!

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

"I ain't no fortunate son"--CCR

"We have shared the incommunicable experience of war..........We have felt - we still feel - the passion of life to its top.........In our youth our hearts were touched with fire"

Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.
Old 07-28-2003, 02:50 PM

I just want to say,

that this MAN of the world will be truly missed and a very dedicated "soldier" is him.

I was on stage with him in 1968 in Nam, and will never forget it.

One heck of a guy here, and will be missed alot, but 100 years and 60 of it dedicated to the Military has some bearing on everyones thoughts.

Nonone really has to say "may god be with him" cause he always has been.

Rest in peace..........

SALUTE TO ONE OF THE FINEST !!!!!!!!
Old 07-28-2003, 03:11 PM

Distinctions
VOM 

Department of Defense Statement on the Death of Bob Hope

NEWS RELEASE from the United States Department of Defense

No. 548-03
IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Jul 28, 2003
(703)697-5131(media)
(703)428-0711(public/industry)

Department of Defense Statement on the Death of Bob Hope

Today, we mourn the loss of a true American patriot. The first and only American
ever to be made an honorary Veteran of America s Armed Forces, Bob Hope holds a
special place in the national security pantheon. He called the troops his "best
friends," and he made it his mission to be with them wherever they served,
regardless of distance or danger.

To many of our forces from across the generations, Bob Hope s visits were a taste of
home in a far-off land; a moment of mirth in the middle of war, and a loud and clear
message to our military that America honored their service and prayed for their safe
return.

Bob Hope s final tour, at age [90], took him to the Persian Gulf and the men and
women of Desert Storm.

Although he is no longer with us in life, he will always remain, just as he was, in
our hearts -- cracking jokes, boosting morale, and reminding all the world of what
it means to be an American.

With profound gratitude for his decades of service to our country, we extend our
deepest sympathy to his family and many friends.

Sempers

Roger
1961-1977
68/69
Once A Marine............Always A Marine.............

http://www.geocities.com/thedrifter001/
Old 07-29-2003, 05:54 AM

I never got to meet Mr. Hope but other's came where I was at and they all deserve a thank you. I wish Bob's family well and I am very sorry to hear about his passing.

He was a National Treasure for sure and one of a kind. We will all miss this gentleman and will surely remember him during our lifetime.

Thank Bob for the Memories.

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"