The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-23-2005, 11:05 AM

Send a message via AIM to SparrowHawk62 Send a message via Yahoo to SparrowHawk62
Default Murder on the USS Miller, 1985.

In the summer of 1985 an IC2 Mitchell T. Garraway stabbed a Lt. James K. Sterner Jr. to death. This murder took place aboard the USS Miller while she was underway.
Does anyone recall hearing any thing about this at all? Seems the only place it made news was in Newport, R.I. where the USS Miller was home ported.
I clearly remember the day Garraway tired to escape the Newport Naval Brig. He was being held there awaiting his Court Martial. He took my friend and fellow co-worker SK2 Jeffy McCray hostage in February of 1986 in his escape attempt.
Garraway faced the Death Penalty but instead was given life in prison in June of 1986.
It's strange to me that I can only find information about this in The Providence Journal.
I'm going to search the Boston Globe archives and see if there is any thing written about this there.

Don't mind me, the PTSD is kicking in again and this is one of the things I've been dwelling on.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2005, 06:33 AM

Hawk is this the ship?

MILLER (FF 1091)
(ex-DE 1091)
FRIGATE
UIC: 20069
Class: FF 1052 Fleet:
Status: Disposed of through the Security Assistance Program (SAP), transferred, grant aid, ex-US fleet hull Homeport:
Date status changed: 07/19/1999 Berth:
Maintenance Category:
Force: MARAD Type:

Builder: AVONDALE/N.ORLEANS
Delivery Date: 04/13/1973
Award Date: 08/25/1966 Age (since delivery) (At time of disposal): 26.3 years
Keel Date: 08/06/1971 Commission Date: 06/30/1973
Launch Date: 06/03/1972 Decommission Date: 10/15/1991
Age (since launch)(At time of disposal) 27.1 years Years from Commission to Decommission: 18.3
Stricken Date: 01/11/1995

Overall Length: 438 ft Waterline Length: 415 ft
Extreme Beam: 47 ft Waterline Beam: 47 ft
Maximum Navigational Draft: 26 ft Draft Limit: 17 ft
Light Displacement: 3212 tons Full Displacement: 4192 tons
Dead Weight: 980 tons
Hull Material: Steel hull, aluminum superstructure.
Number of Propellers: 1
Propulsion Type: Steam Turbines
Accommodations: Officers: 20 Enlisted: 258

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Old 03-24-2005, 07:17 AM

Send a message via AIM to SparrowHawk62 Send a message via Yahoo to SparrowHawk62

Yup, that's the Boat, Boats! She was home ported in Newport, RI with a few other FF's. The only other name that comes to mind is the Yarnell but there were more.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown
Old 03-24-2005, 08:25 AM

I found a report that this ship was used for target practice and given the deep six in the process. She's now a reef somewhere.

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Old 08-12-2009, 05:18 PM

Default Murder on the Miller

I was there that night of the stabbing. They made us stay in our racks for 3 days. Nobody knew who had stabbed that officer. He was the MPA (Main Propulsion Assistant), my boss’s boss. He had a wife and I think a 9 month old new born. I went to the funeral. After they found out who it was we pulled in to port. The mother of the guy who stabbed him called and asked for the LTJG. It was a pretty sick feeling. fficeffice" />>>
The ships store started selling knives after that. We all talked about if he had been shot if they would have sold guns. Not really funny but that is what was said. [IMG]file:///C:/Users/KKSEJW~1.COM/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image001.gif[/IMG]>>
Old 08-13-2009, 11:43 AM

Default More -

Found this article its old but it has some more details

HEADLINERS; Bad Intentions
Published: February 2, 1986
Photo of Mitchell T. Garraway Jr.
The question was not whether Petty Officer 3d Class Mitchell T. Garraway Jr. fatally stabbed Lieut. James K. Sterner aboard a Navy frigate last June.
An eight-member military jury was asked merely to decide whether Petty Officer Garraway had planned the murder. Last week, it said he had. The conviction for premeditated murder could result in the Navy's first use of the death penalty since 1849. Two weeks ago, Petty Officer Garraway pleaded guilty to unpremeditated murder, which carries a maximum sentence of life imprisonment. His attorney contended that the stabbing was committed in a spontaneous fit of rage directed more toward authority figures than the specific victim. But prosecutors said the sailor had plotted to retaliate for Lieutenant Sterner's having delayed his promotion.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"