The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-03-2007, 07:54 AM

Send a message via AIM to SparrowHawk62 Send a message via Yahoo to SparrowHawk62
Default Diving in Snow, is it just me?

I spent a good part of Sunday driving down 3/4's of the Garden State Parkway in New Jersey. Weather was lousy in the Northern part of the State and Lower New York. The first snow fall of the season had arrived.
I always find myself amazed by the number of stupid drivers that come out in the foul weather. Visibility was poor at times, the snow fall warranted the use of headlights as is the law in both NY and NJ when the windshield wipers are in use. Yet, a large number of drivers did not have their lights on, more so in NJ!
Again this snow season I found my self passed by SUV's and Mini Vans traveling at high rates of speed. Guess the thought of all wheel drive gives some comfort to be uncaring jerks with little disregard for the other motorist.
The is also the opposite reaction from some motorists, the use of four way flashers! Come on! If you are that unsure of your driving skills that you have to do 20 mph with your flashers on, get the hell off the road way.
I went well equipped on my journey. Having been a Boy Scout, Being well prepared is something long ago instilled in my habits. Upon hearing the weather reports, I put my snow tires on my car. In fact there are snow tires on all four wheels, a spare set on the rear (front wheel drive) with a season or two left on them. Did they help, maybe, but I felt better driving with them on. And mind set is important when safety is a concern.
Driving through toll booths should be come a requirement for a driver licence. NJ is very good at informing motorist of up coming toll booths. EZ pass lanes are well marked and far enough in advance to alert drivers to where they are. Yet even in snow covered lanes, their were those of changed lanes at the last possible moment!
I only saw a few minor accidents along my trip. One knuckle head who apparently was going to fast for an exit found himself between the exit and the roadway, stuck in mud. Yes, this dope was in an SUV. A tractor trailer verse mini van, dummy in the mini van tried to pass the Simi and slide into it. Mini van was a mess, but no major injuries. Truck driver never saw the mini van because it was in his blind spot with NO LIGHTS ON. To top it all off the woman had been on her cell phone calling for directions to a shopping mall!
With gas prices doing nothing but going up, my bicycle is looking better and better; problem is do I want to be any where near the roads with these nuts out there??

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown

Last edited by Stick; 12-05-2007 at 07:44 AM.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-2007, 09:36 AM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

I know exactly how you feel. I drove to work this morning in a snow storm. Saw 3 cars off the road and was passed by some NASCAR wannabees. Then I got on a secondary road behind some ass-hat doing 15 MPH! Its a good thing I don't carry a gun.
Old 12-03-2007, 03:10 PM

Distinctions
VOM 

Snow? What's that?
Whatever it is diving into it seems like a bad idea. Think I'll reserve all diving activities for water. Or beds.
Have heard that in some places-especially this time of year-that the top layer of water can become unaccountably stiff or hard. Sounds dangerous.
Old 12-04-2007, 06:02 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Talking Hmmm

Hal,

All this sounds like Yankee problems to me. I think "snow" is some sort of percipitation that they like up north. It's the only way they can get tourists to visit. They like it so well that in some places they make their own.

Pack

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
Old 12-04-2007, 06:55 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Au contraire my little constipated emancipated Beaufort sand flea.

Snow has been seen as far south as Tampa, and as discussed before, One does not have to abandoned everything they own and head inland because a snow storm is coming. We, of a more intelligent being just throw another log on the fire, check the temp. of the hot tub and make sure there's plenty of Goose and Crown (the real stuff) in the liquor cabinet.

bOOger who has a hard time dealing with lower forms of life

God bless the ACLU
Old 12-04-2007, 08:18 AM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

Bob,

You've had snow in Tampa?! When it happened did the residents run and hide from the white fallout, or did they sacrifice a virgin, assuming they could find one in the greater Tampa area?
Old 12-04-2007, 08:28 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Dan
I remember reading about the dusting of snow they had in Tampa back in the 70's before global warming .....
Speaking of snow, we have a storm coming in tonight. Better head to the liquor store

God bless the ACLU
Old 12-05-2007, 05:14 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Storm here also.

It's so bad...we might have to cut our beach time from 3 hours to 2. I'll only be able to get about 4 pounds of shrimp instead of 6. Damn... Winter's here for sure. High today of only 70. brrrrrrrr. Also, thanks to global warming....we don't have hurricanes anymore. So Bob, you anthratic dwarf, I will also be snuggled in with a Martini, fresh shrimp, and Deb. Man I hate winter.

Pack

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
Old 12-05-2007, 07:42 AM
Super Moderator

Distinctions
VOM Staff Contributor 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparrowHawk62 View Post
the snow fall warranted the use of headlights as is the law in both NY and NJ when the windshield wipers are in use. Yet, a large number of drivers did not have their lights on, more so in NJ!
OK I worked for a car company for over 30 years and for the most part that time was spent up yonder where they paint the ground white in the winter months but here in Georgia we also have the wiper on / lights on law which makes a whole bunch of sense, especially when driving through heavy traffic in a downpour. Why on earth can't the car/truck manufacturers make it standard equipment and SOP that when you turn on your wipers the headlights also turn on automatically or do we need some law that mandates it??????
Old 12-05-2007, 07:45 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Been Substitute Truck Driving:

Been driving a 26,000 lb. truck in snow the last two weeks. Driving on the main highways isn't so bad but once you get off the main highways it can be somewhat scary.
Rules for driving in snow.
1. NEVER, NEVER, use your cruise control. Once you start to slide with the cruise on it takes a brief moment to tap your brakes to relieve the ignition. Too late you are now in a spin.
2. NEVER, NEVER, hit your brakes when you start into a spin. Just let your foot off the gas and steer out of the spin.
3. When braking tap rapidly rather than "slam" on the brakes. Slamming on the Brakes will put you into a worse spin than you had to start with.
4. Don't speed, go 10 - 15 miles slower in snow.
5. Four wheel drive vehicles may go better forward in snow but they don't don't stop any faster. All vehicles are four wheel stop.
6. Don't tail gate, especially in snow. Be patient.

I've lived and driven in snow for years. You just learn to know just how your vehicle will react and respond accordingly.
Unfortunately people who rarely drive in snow don't obtain these skills and react poorly to slick conditions.
Then you have dumbies who just do stupid things.

Keith

Last edited by Keith_Hixson; 12-05-2007 at 01:25 PM.