Old 04-28-2002, 11:57 AM
Administrator

Distinctions
Special Projects VOM Staff Contributor 
Default Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

David

Registered to :Aug 21, 2001
Posted 06-09-2001 at 04:52
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have no intention of taking away from the legacy of our great American generals, but I think that on the modern battlefield, no general has made more of an impact then Rommel. He is the father of the modern fluid battle front. I am quite happy Hitler was such an idiot or men like Rommel could very well have had us living under the German Flag today. Just my opinion. Anyone else have an opinion on this?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Profile www Qoute
chilidog

Registered to :Aug 22, 2001
Posted 27-09-2001 at 10:30
Where do you draw the line for "modern?" N.B. Forrest was pretty good against superior forces and what T.J. Jackson did to the Yankees in the Shennendoah valley was down-right shameful.

chilidog

Profile Email Qoute
KOOL

Registered to :Sep 27, 2001
Posted 27-09-2001 at 21:51
This site has an outline of every WWII general's assignments.Page Title
This site is run from Sweden. Scroll down to Message Forum and check out debates on generals Page TitleThis site is loaded with Nazi and Axis history and facts.Enjoy!Page Title
-----------------
ANCHOR CLANKER

Profile Qoute
David

Posted 27-09-2001 at 22:10
Chili I am referring only to modern armored combat. My knowledge of more established strategy such as used by classic calvary is not extensive and is something I hope to improve here with others knowledge.

Thanks for the links KOOL I am going to go check them out. If you would like to add them to the links section just scroll to "Web links" in the main menu. We are also starting a TOP SITES listing for any webmasters who wish to participate in a vote ranking for their sites.

Profile www Qoute
Keith_Hixson

Registered to :Aug 23, 2001
Posted 09-11-2001 at 01:23
I have always had a very strong opinion that the minute Hitler attack Russia they lost the war. In time a small nation like Germany would have been defeated by the masses of Russia. When the U.S. came into the war, their goose was done cooked. Its all a matter numbers and access to material and petroleum. Great generals wouldn't have helped him one bit. The Allies won the war when Hitler attack Russia and Japan attack Pearl Harbor. I have read several books about what if Hitler had won and I believe they are basically not based on the reality of access to supplies, the productivity of an industrial society, and the numbers fighting against them. Even Rommel realized the war was over long before D-day. He knew it was just a matter time before the Allies would win. So did all the really good Generals of Germany. Rommel lost in Africa and he knew it would happen again in Europe. I think the proof is that we won and Russia ruined Hitlers Army in the East.

Keith_Hixson

Profile Email Qoute
MORTARDUDE

Registered to :Aug 23, 2001
Posted 09-11-2001 at 09:05
I disagree. I believe Patton's use of Armor in Europe was superior to Rommels's in Africa. He was also at the mercy of petroleum supplies. Patton saw the value of armor in combat long before WWII. I do give Rommel credit for being in on the plot
to kill Hitler.

8-}
-----------------
Larry 81MM + 4.2" MORTARDUDE B Co. 2/22 (M) 25TH INF DIV. ( 1970 ) St. John 12-13 : This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you. Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends

Profile Email www Qoute
StanHerrman

Registered to :Nov 13, 2001
Posted 28-11-2001 at 00:39
Quote:

on the modern battlefield, no general has made more of an impact then Rommel. He is the father of the modern fluid battle front.

Well, Rommel was by no means the father of modern mechinized/mobile battle. German General Heinz Guderian was responsible for getting Panzer forces created in the Wermacht and employed them very successfully from 1938 until he was sacked by Hitler in December 1941.

Since Guderian learned a bunch from Liddel Hart, he has to be in that "father" list somewhere. Of course, one has to put Patton in there somewhere, but he learned most of his first armored tactics from the Brits at Cambrai (1917)...

In regards to impact on the battlefield with modern mech/armored forces, it seems to me to be a close race between Patton and Guderian. Patton probably wins only because he was re-instated after he got sacked (and then blitzed across W. Europe).

Guderian was never given another chance after he wouldn't stand for Hitler's meddling in Dec-1941. His future would only be in staff positions...

Regarding Rommel, all I got to say is remember what happened in Tunisa when he ran into Patton. I do give Rommel credit though for his approach to the defensive plans in France-1944. Allied airpower would've destroyed any central reserve, thus the Panzer divisions should've been placed near the front (as the 21st PzDiv was). However, that airpower would send Rommel off to the hospital before he could really influence the battle...

Stan

Profile www Qoute
David

Posted 28-11-2001 at 02:40
Excellent observations Stan. I am going to read a bit more about the other people you mentioned
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links