The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > Family

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-16-2009, 03:13 PM
Administrator

Distinctions
Special Projects VOM Staff Contributor 
Default Post War Hero

(originally posted in home page Family section)

My great great cousin Curley Christian served in the Canadian army during World War 1. He was at the battle of Vimy Ridge in France. On April 9, 1915 he was blown up in a trench, debris had crushed all four of his limbs and he lay on the battlefield for two days before he was found.

Then, as he was being carried off the field, they were hit by artillery fire again, the two men who were carrying him were killed instantly, Curley survived once more. Curley was taken first to triage then on to a French hospital. Gangrene had set into his limbs and the doctors decided to amputate all four of his limbs. The doctors were actually betting on whether he would survive, the odds were in favor of his passing. One nurse voiced her feelings aloud saying she truly wished that he would pass on because she could not fathom any kind of of life for him with these injuries. Bright and early the next morning this same nurse was walking down the corridor and heard someone singing at the top of his lungs 'It's a long way to Tipperary'. She went to investigate and found to her great surprise that it was my cousin Curley. He looked up at her and said, 'Hi, I'm still alive', and gave her a great big smile. That smile became his trademark. He was sent on to a hospital in Canada to complete his recovery, indeed it took him several years before he was released. He was given artificial legs which were attached by thick braces and he learned to walk again, he was given artificial arms as well and he learned to write again. (I actually have his post war signature - fantastic!!) Curley had been a chain maker before the war, (and a cook and a brick layer as well), he fashioned himself some eating utensils that could be inserted into the wrists of his prosthetics and he was soon able to feed himself as well. While in the Toronto hospital Curely met and then married his wife Cleo. They went on to have a son Douglas who later served in the Canadian Navy in World War II. The first person of African descent out of Toronto.

Curley joined the Amp Vets (Amputee Veterans) and hardly ever missed a day hanging out with the boys. Curley also took the time and effort to write and encourage other amputee veterans all over Canada and America (Curley was himself a transplanted American from Virginia, he traveled the entire USA and then through South America down to the Horn then on up to Alaska and throughout Canada until he settled down in Toronto).
Curley was the only surviving quad amputee in Canadas history for both World War One and Two.

Curley's smile and outgoing nature were legend at the Amp Vets. Curley also had the great pleasure to attend the Vimy Ridge reunion in England in 1936 and had the chance to meet King Edward who actually took his own time and sent a special wheelchair for Curley's use while he was at the event. Curley was so honored by this, 'That is a great guy that King Eddie' he was heard to say proudly. Yes my cousin Curley was a hero of the highest magnitude.

Here are two special quotes by Curley, 'If I thought that griping would grow me some new arms and legs I'd try it!', and to an American Korean War quad amputee, Pfc. Robert L. Smith, 'You've got to be wary of sympathy and you've got to have patience and a sense of humor - but the greatest secret is to know and know for sure that God will take care of you. What He has done for others He will do for you.' -----Amen, well said Cousin Curley!
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links