The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-07-2005, 05:57 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

My uncle's father still rests on the Arizona. May they all never be forgotten.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2005, 06:20 PM

Distinctions
VOM 
Default If Pearl Harbor Happened Today

If Pearl Harbor Happened Today
Old 12-07-2005, 10:11 PM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 

For all of those that were lost and those that survived and especially for my Uncle Paul. He survived Pearl Harbor, came home to serve his brothers bycreatinga recreation programfor the VA hospital in Knoxville Iowa, a program that was then used as model throughout the VA system at the time.He wasa quiet hero that I had my eyes on year after year as he patiently worked with his brothers that were shell shocked and considered dangerous by some in our town. I didn't know at the time what a huge impact his love for them would be on my life.

God Bless them one and all

Arrow>>>>>>

Thomas Jefferson, Kentucky Resolutions of 1798: "In questions of power then, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution."
Old 12-08-2005, 07:48 PM

My father and his brothers answered the call.
May our fathers uncles and Grandfathers rest in peace , with the knowledge that their sacrifices were not in vain.
If they are still with you let them know you appreciate their sacrifices for the nation.
Locksley
10 Point
Member # 1548

posted 12-08-2005 03:46 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dec. 8th, 1941 - The US Enters World War II
As a result of Japan?s planned ?sneak attack? on Pearl Harbor, on Dec. 8th, 1941 president Franklin Delano Roosevelt addressed congress and signed a declaration of war against Japan, bringing America into World War II as a full combatant.

?No matter how long it may take for us to overcome this premeditated invasion, the American people in their righteous might will win through to absolute victory!? - President Roosevelt
Americans united in a flood of nationalistic pride and sought recruiting offices nationwide to join the Armed Forces to claim vengeance for the attack on Pearl Harbor.

Throughout WWII, every effort was made to keep the memory of Pearl Harbor bright. Posters, inspirational songs and other media were staples of wartime popular culture, regular memorial services were held to commemorate the dead, and flags that had flown at the Capitol and White House on 7 December 1941 were raised over fallen enemy capital cities.

America?s involvement in the war lasted from 1941 - 1945, with more than 400,000 US casualties. The war ended on September 2, 1945 with the formal surrender of Japan aboard the U.S. battleship Missouri in Tokyo Bay.

Important Results
US leaders realized that they cannot stay out of world affairs, the United Nations was established, and Germany, Italy and Japan were stripped of all the land they seized.

--------------------
To know wisdom and instruction; to perceive the words of understanding;"The greatest pain a man can suffer is to have knowledge of much, and power over nothing" - Herodotus

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posts: 4140 | From: Antioch TN | Registered: Oct 2001 | IP: Logged

Codger
8 Point
Member # 4333

posted 12-08-2005 05:30 PM
I have a participant's card from the signing of the surrender in Tokyo Bay. My father was there aboard the USS Quincey CA-71. I also have the Arisaka 7.7 long range rifle he brought back. I cleaned the cosmoline in 1979 and fired five rounds of Norma. Accurate.

--------------------
"To preserve the sport for future generations"

Posts: 1233 | From: Decatur County | Registered: Nov 2004 | IP: Logged

Locksley
10 Point
Member # 1548

posted 12-08-2005 08:15 PM
It looks as if no one else is going to notice this post . It does not mean anything to them I guess after all.

--------------------
To know wisdom and instruction; to perceive the words of understanding;"The greatest pain a man can suffer is to have knowledge of much, and power over nothing" - Herodotus

Jason Bagby
4 Point
Member # 4899

posted 12-08-2005 08:36 PM
I will say, THANK YOU , to all the veterans on this site and all around the U.S.

--------------------
Let em Grow!!

Posts: 434 | From: The Back 40 | Registered: Aug 2005 | IP: Logged

Codger
8 Point
Member # 4333

posted 12-08-2005 08:50 PM
I thank you for the post. I posted on my own sites yesterday, December 7th. Pearl Harbor Day. I've had friends who served in all theaters, including Operation Overlord and the Bataan death march. My own father chaffed as Billy Mitchell performed his feats, and the Flying Tigers went to work. He continued his paper route as he read of the sinking of the USS Quincey, the USS Vincennes, the HMAS Canberra, the USS Astoria in the battle of Savo Island in 1942. Until his 16th birthday when he enlisted, finishing basic in time to serve on the shakedown crew for the new USS Quincey, participate in the Normandy invasion, transit the canal, and fight in the Pacific until VJ day.

--------------------

magician
8 Point
Member # 2401

posted 12-08-2005 09:01 PM
Locksley, no, it means alot.

http://www.tndeer.com/ubb/NonCGI/ult...;f=27;t=002814

--------------------
?They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.? Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1245 | From: Gretna, Louisiana | Registered: Nov 2002 | IP: Logged

Crappie Luck2
14 Point
Member # 2688

posted 12-08-2005 09:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Locksley:
It looks as if no one else is going to notice this post . It does not mean anything to them I guess after all.

It means all the world, Locksly.
I woudl have replyed earlier, but it's raining here and that means I didn't have internet.

Codger,
Wow, Quite a story.
I bet he had/has a book of information he could tell.

I love old WWII stories.

CL

--------------------
Sloth is impervious to opportunity - Dean Koontz

Posts: 9750 | From: Smith Co. | Registered: Jan 2003 | IP: Logged

farmin68
10 Point
Member # 3330

posted 12-08-2005 09:12 PM
Good post Locksley.

If I had gotten snowed in today and the History Channel had been airing WW2 programs, it would have been a good day.

--------------------
Soil does matter

Posts: 3603 | From: Somewhere between here and there | Registered: Nov 2003 | IP: Logged

Locksley
10 Point
Member # 1548

posted 12-08-2005 09:18 PM
May our fathers uncles and Grandfathers rest in peace , with the knowledge that their sacrifices were not in vain. If they are still with you let them know you appreciate their sacrifices for the nation.

--------------------

magician
8 Point
Member # 2401

posted 12-08-2005 09:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Locksley:
May our fathers uncles and Grandfathers rest in peace , with the knowledge that their sacrifices were not in vain. If they are still with you let them know you appreciate their sacrifices for the nation.

Well said my friend!

--------------------
?They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.? Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1245 | From: Gretna, Louisiana | Registered: Nov 2002 | IP: Logged

Crappie Luck2
14 Point
Member # 2688

posted 12-08-2005 09:23 PM
Yup, that's a good post.

I hope years from now. OUr kids will look to the Iraq/Afgahn vets with the same respect and gratitude that we do the WWII warrriors.

CL

--------------------
Sloth is impervious to opportunity - Dean Koontz

Posts: 9750 | From: Smith Co. | Registered: Jan 2003 | IP: Logged

KING Marshal the first
Chief Barker
Member # 407

posted 12-08-2005 10:35 PM
My uncle was captured in North Africa in Jan of 1943.He was liberated in early 1945 in Germany.
Another uncle had his Tank Destroyer blown out from underneath him during the Battle of the Bulge.He finished the war in a hospital in England.
My wifes' dad trained to fly all the Army Air Corp bombers of WWII. He never saw combat.
My wifes' mom was a Army Lt. in the nursing corp.
My Dad was in the navy and in a SeaBee support group and was on Tinian when the Enola Gay & Boxcar both launched and dropped the Atomic bomb.He also served on Guam ,Siapan, and Tarawa.

As death stalks the ranks of our WWII vets,he claims more and more of them daily. If you know a vet, thank them for your freedom. Americas' citizen soilders helped to stop tyranny and keep our freedom.

--------------------
I loves the womens, I surely do. But I swear, a woman's breast is the hardest rock that the Almighty ever made on this earth, and I can find no sign on it:
Bear Claw Chris Lapp.

Posts: 6764 | From: Dodge City/Gunsmoke | Registered: Jan 2000 | IP: Logged

TNTony
16 Point
Member # 1851

posted 12-08-2005 10:42 PM
Thanks to our VETS!!!

--------------------
Ain't nuthing like country living!

Posts: 14494 | From: Lascassas, TN. | Registered: Feb 2002 | IP: Logged

444marlin
14 Point
Member # 2102

posted 12-08-2005 11:13 PM
I knew about it on the 7th.

Just because no one replied right off the bat doesnt mean they dont care.

--------------------
Ruger77257@msn.com
Team Green - Remington M700 VSSF .308 Win/Bushnell Banner 6-18x50 AO

Posts: 8823 | From: Charleston/Benton TN | Registered: Aug 2002 | IP: Logged

sgtwebb1
10 Point
Member # 590

posted 12-08-2005 11:29 PM
My Father's side of the family;

One of his uncles was at Pearl Harbor, fought the Japs until the end of the war, got hit at Guadalcanal, fought at Okinawa.

Two other uncles died in 1944, one on D-Day on the beach, the other a couple days later, both buried atop the cliffs at Normandy.

My mother's side;

My great-grandfather was a lifer-fought in WWI and WWII, got shot in the back during the Bulge in '44, took almost a year before he could walk again, but never the same.

My G'mother had 2 brothers in the War, one came back, the other one died in 1944 in Holland.

My Grandfather fought in Europe, was on the beach on D-Day, was fighting the Germans on the day my Mother was born, 31 July44. He made it thru pretty well, only got wounded twice.

His brother died in the Belgium in 1944.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~

I remember once, in the late 1960's, my uncle had married a German lady while he was stationed in Germany, and finally had brought her home after 5 years, to meet the family. Her father was a high ranking German SS officer, and was actually executed after the War for war crimes. Her mother was stuck in East Germany after the Wall went up.

Anyhow, my Great-Grandmother met them at the door, and put her fists on her hips, and announced, "That German bitcch ain't coming in my house, her people killed my boy and crippled my Homer (my Great-grandfather).

I remember that as clear as crystal.
I'm not saying it was 100% right on her part, but it has always stuck with me.
Those men and women sacrificed more than just their own lives in that war, they sacrificed a huge part of an entire generation of Americans, and the price of that sacrifice was a terrible thing, both for the soldiers, and their families back home.

I grew up sitting at the feet of these men and women, listening to the stories of the War, and the War back home. I'll never forget the looks on the faces of my Great Grandmother and both Grandmothers with tears streaming down their faces as they talked about the men they'd lost, and about how the war affected the ones that came back.

One day, before I die, I'm going to do 2 things;

Go to the Arizona Memorial at Pearl Harbor.

Go to Normandy and look for my great uncles' gravesites in the gardens of stone on the clifftops.

I promise you, this day has deep meaning for me.

--------------------
~~Death from above~~
)))---------------->>

Posts: 2841 | From: Ooltewah/Harrison TN, USA | Registered: Aug 2000 | IP: Logged

Codger
8 Point
Member # 4333

posted 12-09-2005 06:51 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Crappie Luck2:

Codger,
Wow, Quite a story.
I bet he had/has a book of information he could tell.

I love old WWII stories.

CL

Very good posts, one and all.
CL, my father very rarely spoke of the war. I learned a lot of what happened from other relatives, and from the book "oddysey of the U.S.S. Quincey", a keepsake issued to her crewmen. Basically, a young boy, full of romantic Ideals and patriotic poundings in his chest went off to war, and a very different man returned. He saw nothing heroic in his participation. Sometimes, after watching a Wayne movie, or Mitchum, or McHale's Navy, Combat, or Steve McQueen, he would get maudlin and talk some. I listened spellbound while he recalled details not put down on paper anywhere. Things said that curdled my blood, hard to imagine because TV and movies at the time were not allowed to really portray the true horrors of war.
"The zeros dived at the deck strafing us before everyone could report to their battle stations. I saw several flame and go down before we were hit. The noise was tremendous, and then we got hit by a zero. I saw my friend blown in half, and was ordered to clear the deck. He was alive when I sent him over the side. The big guns went off right over my head, and that's why I don't hear today."
This was a fortyeight year old man telling what a seventeen year old boy saw and did. He never bought a thing made in Japan, but later bought me a German car. He said he wasn't a hero, and hid all his mementos, except the "ruptured duck" pin. "All the heros are buried, son." He warned my brother and I not to darken his doorstep with an oriental wife. It would be our last visit to HIS home. My father died in 1989.

Codger

--------------------

psycho
4 Point
Member # 5137

posted 12-09-2005 06:55 AM
my grandfather was a part of WWII. Im not sure exactly how but he was.....

--------------------
death is the only thing that is certain

Posts: 325 | From: Watertown TN | Registered: Oct 2005 | IP: Logged

Wildcat
16 Point
Member # 512

posted 12-09-2005 07:09 AM
My grandfather died on Dec. 7, 1941 on the USS California.

--------------------
Liberailism - the haunting fear someone, somewhere can help themselves.

Posts: 16824 | From: Western Ky. | Registered: Jun 2000 | IP: Logged

JeepKuntry
8 Point
Member # 3543

posted 12-09-2005 07:18 AM
Alot of my family was involved in one way or another in WWII, thanks veterans for your sacrifice.

--------------------
Greg Cooper

Posts: 2358 | From: Clinton, TN | Registered: Jan 2004 | IP: Logged
Old 12-09-2005, 07:06 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Sandy,

ROTFLMAO! Thanks so much for the picture.....it is worth a thousand words.

Did anyone also notice that I could not find one movie or show about Pearl Harbor on tv on 7 Dec. How soon we forget. Probably no taught in government schools anymore. Not important and, oh my, speaks of war and vi-o-lance.

LEST WE FORGET!

Pack

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
Old 12-09-2005, 03:33 PM

Distinctions
VOM 

Yep, not a single movie on TV that day and They had a slew of titles they could have chosen from Like Tora,Tora,Tora or Pearl Harbor!
Old 12-10-2005, 06:19 AM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

We can't celebrate or truly "Remember" Pearl Harbor Day because the Japanese don't like to be reminded that they prefer to stab people in the back without warning. It might hurt their delicate psychies.