The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-02-2003, 11:30 AM

Thumbs up Why America Is Great!

Sent: Wednesday, April 02, 2003 10:27 AM
Subject: FW: Young Men Like This

Martin Savidge of CNN, embedded with the 1st Marine battalion, was talking with 4 young Marines near his foxhole this morning live on CNN. He had been telling the story of how well the Marines had been looking out for and taking care of him since the war started.

He went on to tell about the many hardships the Marines had endured since the war began and how they all look after one another. He turned to the four and said he had cleared it with their commanders and they could use his video phone to call home.

The 19 year old Marine next to him asked Martin if he would allow his platoon sergeant to use his call to call his pregnant wife back home whom he had not been able to talk to in three months. A stunned Savidge who was visibly moved by the request shook his head and the young marine ran off to get the sergeant.

Savidge recovered after a few seconds and turned back to the three young Marines still sitting with him and asked which one of them would like to call home first. The Marine closest to him responded with out a moments hesitation "Sir, if is all the same to you we would like to call the parents of a buddy of ours, Lance Cpl Brian Buesing of Cedar Key, Florida who was killed on 3-23-03 near Nasiriya to see how they are doing".

At that Martin Savidge totally broke down and was unable to speak. All he could get out before signing off was "Where do they get young men like this?".

The answer to Mr. Savidge?s question was provided by my best friend and fellow Vietnam Veteran when he forwarded this email to me, Ron ?Doc? Detmer (27th Infantry Division ? Wolfhounds Combat Medic) who wrote:

To all my friends, and fellow vets:
The answer to his question is that we grow young folks like this right here in the USA; in the cities, in the countryside, in the heartland and along the coasts. It's who we are.
Ron

G.B.U. ~ G.B.A.
Smitty
Old 04-03-2003, 06:14 AM
Wannabe/Poser

Distinctions
VOM 
Default HUUURAAAA

For all of our guys and gals in uniform. (am writing this with tears running down my face) Bye
Old 04-03-2003, 06:29 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Got the same

story from Marinevet via email. Forwarded it on with this comment, "If this doesn't bring a tear to your eye......."

Thanks Ron for sharing this with the group!

Packo

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote