The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-22-2002, 08:03 AM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 
Default Ever notice how white this forum is..

Quote:
We were not all drafted, uneducated, minorities that were cannon fodder. I get really upset when it is pushed that Vietnam was a war that killed blacks especially young blacks like it was something done on purpose. If you will do the numbers you will find there were exactly 7 blacks 18 years of age and younger killed in that war and yes they did serve and serve well but their losses were less totally than their percentage of the population.
just wonderin'..kinda of sad as far as I'm concerned...we need the flavor of many colors in our life to stay balanced...

Thomas Jefferson, Kentucky Resolutions of 1798: "In questions of power then, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution."
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2002, 09:10 AM

Distinctions
VOM 
Default Have I noticed...have I noticed... ?

and I wished that "Paco" would change his usser name back to PACKO --- no offence "Packo" but the name was just similar enough to an old friend's nickname I gave someone (a pure Chicano, whom attended the same OJT course just out of the Army and Bitnams) that I wrote a Packo vs Paco thing on The History Channel side. That natural linking just spoke to how absent the Brown is on the Digital Divide, but not in times of War.

One thing --- at work there are all kinds of Asians, Blacks and Women who are employed: many of them, and this is true for the Blacks, have been "groomed" for Supervisory positions, or have gone through Internships. There are no Chicanos at work --- oh, we have a couple of them with Spanish names, but they look more like they are European Spaniards than the mix of Indian and Spanish that make up our Western and S. West States --- the ones at risk; the ones that go into the Infantry, or direct Combat Support. When this state (California) names it's cities (San Franciso, Los Angeles, etc. and it Rivers and Condominium Complexes with Spanish names, it certainly must be thinking of Spain and not poor Mexico because the only Mejiconos I see are out clipping the lawns at, say "La Sol Plaza de Barcellona Heights"

I see all kinds of Blacks and Chinese Americans and Filipinos and Whites, of all genders and twists and turns --- being groomed at work--- where are the Latino Vietnam Vets at work (Civil) and where are they here ?

Robert

(I am pissed, or it's a bad monday --- sorry --- that was off the cuff but building.)
Old 07-22-2002, 10:25 AM

Distinctions
VOM 

Old 07-22-2002, 01:26 PM

Distinctions
VOM 

Old 07-22-2002, 02:36 PM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 

Every job I have leaves me looking, for the the colors of human faces that make our world so interesting and beautiful...

I miss the wisdom of my sisters of many colors. Some of them spoke only a few words to me but they served me well over the years...

Thomas Jefferson, Kentucky Resolutions of 1798: "In questions of power then, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution."
Old 07-22-2002, 03:33 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Our family

comes in many shades.
From the pale blonds with blue eyes or brown to the deep tanned with black hair and those big brown eyes.
We love them all and I suspect that, unless there is a picture posted here, with more than 2,500 members and many more lurkers ( Hi lurkers. Come by anytime.) that we are all the colors of the rainbow.

Beau,
When I was in college a woman that I knew (notice that I didn't say liked) got scholarships and preference in job placement for being Hispanic and poor. Her family name came directly from Spain and she was only poor on paper. Her boyfriend of many years had plenty of money but it didn't count because they weren't legal. Made me mad

Money should have gone to someone like a friend of mine who came up from Mexico at 9, worked in apple industry with the rest of the family until, in her early 30s, she worked and studied her way out. Last I know she was a Mechanical Engineer working in San Jose.
Old 07-22-2002, 03:45 PM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 

I wish they would post if they are out there...

my reference to many colors includes the culture (music, food, literature, perspective on life). That is what we are missing here on this forum.

One example of perspective...a black man..hears the news that Martin Luther King is shot to death...while said man is defending freedom in Vietnam...what were his thoughts..

we rarely hear..

that's what I'm talkin' about..

the code talkers of World War II have a movie made about them but it turns out that the movie is more about the white guy...

why?

that's what I'm talkin about..

I could go down the list..

maybe someone else wants to finish it..

Old 07-22-2002, 05:15 PM

Distinctions
VOM 

Old 07-23-2002, 08:19 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Beau

The site would not accept Packo as a user name so I used Paco. I still sign off 99% of my posts with Packo.

This whole thread is a little silly to me. I look for an America where color makes no difference. I have never even thought about who's white, who's brown, or whatever the whole time I've been posting here. Who cares.

PAC"K"O

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
Old 07-23-2002, 09:26 AM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 

Tom,

You misunderstood me. Color is important to me because I love the contrast it brings to life. We are all part of subcultures in this country that make up a whole. Note your CAV patch and the statement under it. That's what makes us interesting. I am a little shocked at your PC attitude Tom. Like it or not we are not all the same and the people of color in this country have had a whole different experience than we have had in time of war and peace. I want to hear it. And I don't think my viewpoint is silly or unimportant. I just think you don't get it. sis