The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Veterans > POW/MIA

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-05-2004, 07:44 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default We Need Your Help!!!!!!!!

Greetings:

I would like to ask you to help us promote a proposed bill regarding the Purple Heart Medal. I want all members of our Armed Forces who become Prisoners of War and WHO DIE WHILE a Prisoner of War to be awarded the Purple Heart Medal. I emphasize "WHO DIED WHILE a Prisoner of War."

That medal is now awarded only if the next of kin can prove the person died of wounds. If they died of malnutrition or froze to death, no medal is authorized. And the next of kin has a hard time to prove anything except that their loved one has been promoted to Glory (died).

The Tiger Survivors (Korean War) lost 59 % of their numbers while they were POWs! Some recieved the Purple Heart and some did not, leaving the next of kin to wonder. (Hardcore's wife Brenda, also lost an Uncle in the Tiger POW Camps during this period!)

I have contacted my two senators, Barbara Boxer at 331 Hart Senate Building, Washington DC 20510-0504, and Diane Feinstein at the same address. I wrote to them in October 2003.

I am asking you to contact your representatives, all over our nation, to support my request and at the same time send a letter to Senators Boxer and Feinstein (Ca.), stating support for my request.

I would appreciate it if you could cause this to be broadcast to your list and publications and/or news media outlets.

We do owe this to those who may never come home from that dredful place.

Recent legislation has made it easier for a former POW to request the Purple Heart Medal but nothing has been done for those who perished a horrible death at the hands of a brutal enemy.

I do not expect a favorable response from the Army Awards Branch or the Defense Department. So we ourselves must insist that this be enacted. "Our own honor depends upon it!"

"PLEASE HELP?"

When someone died while a Prisoner of War that is as final as you can get and the Purple Heart offers at least some closure to the families! "Remember, these were our fathers, brothers, uncles, friends and comrades, and they gave their all for us all!!"

You can also contact your United States Senators and Congresspersons "TOLL FREE" at:

Call 1-800-648-3516 (Capitol Switchboard), then ask for whatever Senator or Congressperson you wish to speak to!!

"You can also e-mail these people, if you so desire!"

Sincerely;

Wilbert R. (Shorty) Estabrook (jan71991@comcast.net)
Founder of the Tiger Survivors
a National Veterans group.

Posted by Hardcore at Shorty's request, 31 January 2004