The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-16-2009, 04:18 PM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 

Yea. I bet when Travis dragged his sword across the dirt, it really didn't Matter what state your parents were from. You were going to die, did you want to die for no reason or for a very good cause. Those from those states that settled in what would be Texas chose the cause. I thank them.
When Sam Houston did a early morning attack at san jacinto, it changed everything we Texans think of as our state. I take my daughter to the SJ monument often, just to feel the goose bumps of that day. The monument has a 15X15 room at the top to look out. No AC , No rest rooms just look out windows.
Although the Alamo guys died, They made the Mexican army delay, which gave Houston a chance to get more troops.
Remember the Alamo has a very big meaning for Texans.

Ron
Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2009, 04:40 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default I've been

to the "Shrine" in San Antonio twice. When I was a kid I can't tell you how many times I was Davy Crockett on the Battlements of the Alamo killin' Messicans. Seeing the Alamo was one of the most honored moments of my life. The current administration would probably put out a warning about "veterans of the Alamo could become "right wing" terrorists. God, how I respect those men. Every one of them could do better than anyone we have in Washington today....Republican or Defeatocrat.

Pack

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 07:54 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

As you know, I live about three miles from the place Crockett was born. I have also been to the place where his grandparents were killed by the Cherokee. This man wanted to President of the USA and may have well been one and probably a good one. He was in one of the Creek Wars and it changed his life. the story is well known how they burned a cabin full of Creek fighters who would not surrender. After the cabin was burned Crockett and some of his fellow fighters uncovered a stash of potatoes underneath the cabin floor. Even though they had been cooked in human fat from the cabin fire they ate them they were so hungry. He never really liked potatoes after that. But not only that it changed his view of his fellow man. He saw the injustice of how the Indians were being treated and became their champion in Congress. He had been a protoge of Andrew Jackson but when Jackson ordered the forced removal of the five civilized tribes from their homes, Crockett opposed it. The end result was Jackson ran a man against Crockett and defeated him. James K Polk became Jackson's new protoge. That is when Crockett said' "You can go to hell, I'm going to Texas". To me the measure of the man is how he saw injustice refused to compromised even if the ones being cheated were the people who massacred his family. He was above all a outstandingly decent man. there were not many men the Cherokee could call their friend but David Crockett was such a man. Another was Sam Houston.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:59 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Crockett on bailouts

"I was one day in the lobby of the House of Representatives when a bill was taken up appropriating money for the benefit of a widow of a distinguished naval officer. Several beautiful speeches had been made in its support, rather, as I thought, because it afforded the speakers a fine opportunity for display than from the necessity of convincing anybody, for it seemed to me that everybody favored it. The Speaker was just about to put the question, when Crockett arose. Everybody expected, of course, that he was going to make one of his characteristic speeches in support of the bill. He commenced:
"Mr. Speaker -- I have as much respect for the memory of the deceased, and as much sympathy for the sufferings of the living, if suffering there be, as any man in this House, but we must not permit our respect for the dead or our sympathy for a part of the living to lead us into an act of injustice to the balance of the living. I will not go into an argument to prove that Congress has no power to appropriate this money as an act of charity. Every member upon this floor knows it. We have the right, as individuals, to give away as much of our own money as we please in charity; but as members of Congress we have no right so to appropriate a dollar of the public money. Some eloquent appeals have been made to us upon the ground that it is a debt due the deceased. Mr. Speaker, the deceased lived long after the close of the war; he was in office to the day of his death, and I have never heard that the Government was in arrears to him. This Government can owe no debts but for services rendered, and at a stipulated price. If it is a debt, how much is it? Has it been audited, and the amount due ascertained? If it is a debt, this is not the place to present it for payment, or to have its merits examined. If it is a debt, we owe more than we can ever hope to pay, for we owe the widow of every soldier who fought in the war of 1812 precisely the same amount. There is a woman in my neighborhood, the widow of as gallant a man as ever shouldered a musket. He fell in battle. She is as good in every respect as this lady, and is as poor. She is earning her daily bread by her daily labor, and if I were to introduce a bill to appropriate five or ten thousand dollars for her benefit, I should be laughed at, and my bill would not get five votes in this House. There are thousands of widows in the country just such as the one I have spoken of; but we never hear of any of these large debts to them. Sir, this is no debt. The Government did not owe it to the deceased when he was alive; it could not contract it after he died. I do not wish to be rude, but I must be plain. Every man in this House knows it is not a debt. We cannot, without the grossest corruption, appropriate this money as the payment of a debt. We have not the semblance of authority to appropriate it as a charity. Mr. Speaker, I have said we have the right to give as much money of our own as we please. I am the poorest man on this floor. I cannot vote for this bill, but I will give one week's pay to the object, and if every member of Congress will do the same, it will amount to more than the bill asks."

He took his seat. Nobody replied. The bill was put upon its passage, and, instead of passing unanimously, as was generally supposed, and as, no doubt, it would, but for that speech, it received but few votes, and, of course, was lost".

I think the fact he expected members of Congress to help the widow is the most significant part. Congressmen today are one big gaping mouth swallowing everything throw in it. That "food " is how they are motivated to move.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:28 PM

Send a message via MSN to siabaa

*this thread motivated me to post* *if my sig picture is offensive... hope not to a bunch of vets and patriots.... I can replace it. Please don't do something drastic like band me over something I'm perfectly willing to replace O.o*

Howdy. I'm active duty and have deployed 22 months of the past three years broken up into two deployments. I've not spent very much time following what's going on back here in the rear. And now that I do get the chance to really pay attention... It's a little overwhelming.

But here's my response to this whole succession; envokeing th 10th Amendment; tea party thing.

*When speaking; asking; discussing these subjects and where I'm leaning I've been mostly confronted with being told I'm thinking of treason or trying to go against my oath.... or crazy. So I thought it best if my response was the following*

SGT Tex~~~ Do you know what uphold means? I think it means to support, lift up, vigourously argue for, or promote something. Then hold yourself to what you are upholding; less you be rightfully labled a hypocrite. IE pledging your Sacred Honor.

Do you know what defend means? I think it means to fight for. Peacefully as possible at first, but if it comes to it.... to lay your life down. Not as cannon fodder *not laying in front of a tank* But using all skills, knowledge, abilities; resources in order to see that no harm befalls what you defend.

When you took your oath to uphold and defend the constitution.... did you mean it?

*at this point I'd like to pose a question in the SGT Tex Character*

SGT Tex~~~ Is the constitution literal?