The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-22-2010, 06:56 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

For years Excedrin was aspirin and caffeine and then they added acetaminophen.

During the recent "don't take too many drugs with acetaminophen in it" Tylenol was not named.

When it hit the hospitals, my mother said "DON'T take it!"

Joy

sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-2010, 07:24 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Thanks, all

After having read all the responses, along with the potential side-effects of ingrown toenails, falling arches, dysfunctional hairroots and licorce-flavored halitosis, I've just about decided to stick with the ibuprophen routine and bitchin' where necessary as a means of dealing with the discomfort. Right now, it's snowing like crazy outside, very peaceful looking, and my pain is irrelevant. Thank you God, for another day of witnessing Your beauty!

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Old 02-23-2010, 09:16 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to BLUEHAWK
Distinctions
Contributor 
Arrow similar problem

Scout,

I'm on disability too, due to severe right hip and knee joint problems and carpal tunnel in my left arm (a lot more irritating that I once imagined it could be, by the way).

Three years ago the VA Doc prescribed to me the following non-opiate/non-narcotic medications which have made it possible for me to get around enough to make normal life possible.

Might be worth asking your Doc about:

Diclofenac 75 mg
Methocarbamol 750 mg
Tramadol 50 mg

No side effects at all... and I never have to take any kind of acetomeniphen or any of the other analgesics.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:41 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Tramadol is a good pain med. It doesn't have many side effects in most people. It will be what I use next after the darvocet quits working. I saved it for later because it is stronger and I might need it more later. Anything with cet in its name means it has acetaminophen (tylenol) in it. Some things I have learned about arthritic drugs: What works for one person may not work for another and even if it does, it may quit working after taking it for a while. But the good news is it may work again at a later time. All NSAIDs (non steroidal antinflammatory drugs) are variations upon aspirin. All can be hard on the stomach for some people and may become bad on the stomach after taking them for a while. They may actually make the stomach bleed. Tylenol is not an NSAID and may be an optional choice for people who can't take NSAIDs. I am one of them. I developed a chronic gastritis from taking NSAIDs for a long time and can never take them again.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:16 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to BLUEHAWK
Distinctions
Contributor 
Default 1cav

Excellent point:

"What works for one person may not work for another and even if it does, it may quit working after taking it for a while. But the good news is it may work again at a later time..."

Looks like I've been very lucky thusfar.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:22 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

I wasn't in Vietnam but I wake up every morning with stiff joints. I try to do a 6 mile walk every morning. After I've walked about 4 or 5 blocks I loosen up and eveything works quite well. However when I go to the office and sit at the desk for more than 15 or 20 minutes I will get really stiff again. My Doc says that at almost 65 I'm doing well and this is normal.

Brice you just an old geezer like the rest of us.
Old 02-23-2010, 01:37 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Bro. Keith

Truer words were never spoken!

However, if you feel good after 4-5 blokcs, why don't you just stop? Seems to me that those extra miles are what's causing the stiffness at the office later on. Trouble is with you young kids, you just don't know when to quit!

Of late, my exercise has been confined to splitting logs for the fireplace, digging up enough dirt to raise the City of New Orleans above sea level while installing two risers on my septic system, hand-mixing the concrete to secure said risers, and making occasional trips to Gatesville, TX, as I go back to prison!

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Old 02-23-2010, 05:09 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Brice with all you are doing, seriously, you are bound to be a little sore and stiff. I walk so I can keep up with Chris Welch when we go hunting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperScout View Post
Truer words were never spoken!

However, if you feel good after 4-5 blokcs, why don't you just stop? Seems to me that those extra miles are what's causing the stiffness at the office later on. Trouble is with you young kids, you just don't know when to quit!

Of late, my exercise has been confined to splitting logs for the fireplace, digging up enough dirt to raise the City of New Orleans above sea level while installing two risers on my septic system, hand-mixing the concrete to secure said risers, and making occasional trips to Gatesville, TX, as I go back to prison!