Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-12-2005, 11:47 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to BLUEHAWK
Distinctions
Contributor 
Default A shooting competition

From Colin, a friend:

"Pics from the 89th RRC Shooting Competition at Ft Riley KS Sept 16-18 2005

This last weekend over 200 soldiers from all over the 89th RRC came to Ft Riley KS and competed in a weapons marksmanship competition, shooting the M9 pistol, M16 Rifle, M249 SAW, M2 .50 Cal and the Mk19 Automatic Grenade Launcher.

My team from the 530th MP Bn, shooting the M249 SAW took the third place place trophy, however we had the overall highest scores on the range.

With Piper as my A-Gunner spotting impacts and calling adjustments - I shot 12 of 11 computer controlled and scored popup targets (I put a second burst into one target before the computer could make it fall so it scored me twice. I killed that guy twice before gravity could even get him.)

I was A-Gunner for Piper and he shot 10 of 11 but would have easily had at least 11 of 11 but for an unforseen problem with the ammo belt.

First place trophy went to a team who only shot 9 of 11 but since they shot that the first go-around they got the trophy.
Since no one had the opportunity to zero their weapons before competing so it was less of a test of marksmanship than simply blind luck.

With a different and very inexperienced soldier as my A-Gunner during my first go around, I hit 7 of 11 once I finally got the rear sights properly adjusted and on target.

Yes, I'm b__ching - but how can it be a "competition" if no one has a zero established on their weapon?

Anyone who has ever shot much knows that not having your weapons sights zero'ed means you are just pumping rounds blindly down range and its pretty much pointless. {smirk}

We also shot the M2 .50 Cal Machine gun on this range. Three teams competed but there was enough ammo for almost everyone to put a couple of hundred rounds downrange.

I only have pictures from one range as the M2 and M249 were all shot on one range and the other weapons were on different ranges.

I posted two albums online (they would not fit in one) and here they are.

http://photobucket.com/albums/b173/d...ileyWpnsComp01

http://photobucket.com/albums/a381/d...leyWpnsComp02/

Albums are password protected. The password for both is the same = guns"
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2005, 06:38 PM

Distinctions
VOM 

My Grandma grew up near Ft Riley KS and used to tell me about the Army Mules & Horses being herded down main street to and from the base to their field pastures. Must have been interesting clearing the streets to herd all that livestock thru town in the 1920's
Old 09-12-2005, 07:09 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Question They Won't

They won't let me see the pics until I sign in with a password.

Keith
Old 09-13-2005, 01:43 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to BLUEHAWK
Distinctions
Contributor 

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry D My Grandma grew up near Ft Riley KS and used to tell me about the Army Mules & Horses being herded down main street to and from the base to their field pastures. Must have been interesting clearing the streets to herd all that livestock thru town in the 1920's
password is: guns
Old 04-05-2006, 06:02 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to amerkinsquid
Default Competition Shooting

Here is a link for those of you that like to shoot competatively.

http://usnst.org/

I am a proud member of that team and shoot at every match I can get to. I am so motivated that I even advertise my membership on my car.

[IMG]

If the link doesn't work just cut and paste it into the address bar.

Old age and treachery will beat youth and endurance every time. Amerkinsquid
Old 04-05-2006, 08:20 PM

Distinctions
VOM 

Neat Virginia "911 remember the Pentagon" casualties plate you have there Virginia made a decent memorial plate (I think so) there.