Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Veterans > Veterans Benefits

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-23-2010, 08:14 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default VFW's actions BETRAY THIS NATIONS VETERANS

More proof that the VFW is a lying bunch of malcontents!-----------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

VA Secretary Eric K. Shinseki has the definitive knockdown of the VFW's Tradewell's malarkey. Shinseki's statement is reproduced below. As is the statement of the Chairman of the House Committee on Veterans’ Affairs, Rep. Bob Filner's statement on Tradewell's lies

Quote:

"As Secretary of Veterans Affairs, I accepted the solemn responsibility to uphold our sacred trust with our nation’s Veterans. Fears that Veterans health care and TRICARE will be undermined by the health reform legislation are unfounded. I am confident that the legislation being voted on today will provide the protections afforded our nation’s Veterans and the health care they have earned through their service.

The President and I stand firm in our commitment to those who serve and have served in our armed forces. We pledge to continue to provide the men and women in uniform and our Veterans the high quality health care they have earned.

President Obama has strongly supported Veterans and their needs, specifically health care needs, on every major issue for these past 14 months – advance appropriations, new GI Bill implementation, new Agent Orange presumptions for three additional diseases, new Gulf War Illness presumptions for nine additional diseases, and a 16% budget increase in 2010 for the Department of Veterans Affairs, that is the largest in over 30 years, and which has been followed by a 2011 VA budget request that increases that record budget by an additional 7.6%.

To give our Veterans further assurance that health reform legislation will not affect their health care systems, the Chairmen of five House committees, including Veterans Affairs Chairman Bob Filner and Armed Services Chairman Ike Skelton, have just issued a joint letter reaffirming that the health reform legislation as written would protect those receiving care through all TRICARE and Department of Veterans Affairs programs."

------------------------------------------------

From Rep. Filner---Chairman House Committe on Veterans Afairs:

Health Care Reform Will Not Jeopardize VA Health Care Services

March 21, 2010

Washington, D.C
. – House Veterans’ Affairs Committee Chairman Bob Filner (D-CA) released the following statement regarding legislation to reform America’s health care system:

“Now that the President and Congress have laid out a strong plan for reforming the current health insurance system, I would like to take the opportunity to remind America’s veterans that the plan will not affect the VA health care system. I continue to work in concert with leaders in the House of Representatives to ensure that veterans receive the world-class health care services they have so bravely earned.

“As a result of these efforts, I am pleased to sign a letter with House Armed Services Chairman Ike Skelton, House Ways & Means Chairman Sander Levin, Education and Labor Chairman George Miller, and Energy and Commerce Chairman Henry Waxman affirming that current health care reform legislation does not undermine or change the Department of Veterans Affairs mandate to provide comprehensive health care to veterans. Enrolled veterans meet the individual responsibility requirements under the bill to maintain quality health coverage.

“Under the leadership of Speaker Pelosi, the House maintains an aggressive agenda to ensure that the promises made to veterans are kept. Over the last three years, Democrats have worked to secure landmark veterans’ health care budgets, provided a G.I. Bill for the 21st Century, revamped the VA home loan program, and improved health care and benefits for veterans.
“I firmly believe all of our citizens should have access to health care. I am proud that Congress has crafted a plan to bring stability and security to Americans who have insurance today, and affordable coverage to those who do not. This plan, however, will not jeopardize the current health care services and benefits provided by VA. We will keep our promise to our Nation’s heroes of the past, present, and future.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

American Legion Says Health Care Reform Won’t Harm VA, DoD

March 22, 2010 by Michael Leon ·

Looks like Thomas J. Tradewell Sr., head of the Veterans of Foreign Wars, is pretty much alone among veterans in repeating GOP talking points.

This just in: American Legion National Commander Clarence E. Hill Confident Health Plan Won’t Harm VA, DoD

The American Legion – March 22, 2010

“I have been assured personally by the President, Secretary of Defense, VA secretary, Speaker of the House, majority leaders, and numerous other senators and representatives – as has National Commander David Rehbein before me – that nothing in the national health care reform legislation will change current DoD and VA health-care eligibility or practices,” said The American Legion National Commander Clarence E. Hill, responding to the health-care reform bill passed Sunday by the House of Representatives.

“As late as 9 p.m. last evening, I was on the telephone with House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer and we spoke candidly about The American Legion’s concerns. Based on that conversation, the transcripts of hearings, assurances from the president and secretary themselves, I am 100-percent confident that Congress will act responsibly as regards the nation’s veterans and their families.”

Hill also explained that the legislative process being used to implement the current health-care reform is unlike any he has seen in his lifetime. Indeed, there has been nothing similar in the past 100 years. However, said Hill, “this is not the end of the health-care reform debate or legislative process. The legislation involved is so complex that it will take years to iron out and implement. The American Legion will be involved every step of the way to ensure that the health-care options guaranteed to servicemembers and veterans – and their families – will be protected.”

While the entire health-care reform legislative package is extremely controversial and contentious, The American Legion has taken a position on one aspect only: maintaining the autonomy of the Department of Veterans Affairs, and the Department of Defense’s health-care delivery systems.
“It is going to be a long, drawn-out legislative process, but America’s veterans can rest assured that their benefits will be protected. That I personally guarantee,” said Hill.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vietnam Veterans of America (VVA) Decries Health Care Reform “Scare Tactics”

March 23, 2010 by Robert L. Hanafin ·

Despite the media spin and scare tactics of opponents of health care reform as reported in previous articles on Veterans. Today, Sec Def Gates Knocks Down Fox/VFW Report on Tricare, AND American Legion Says Health Care Reform Won’t Harm VA, DoD.

Vietnam Veterans of America (VVA) has joined in chorus with the American Legion, Pentagon officials, and Congressional Veterans Affairs Committees to reassure Veterans, our troops, and military retirees that health care reform will have no impact on Veterans benefits or TRICARE the health care plan covering active duty and military retirees.

Robert L. Hanafin, Major, U.S. Air Force-Retired, Veterans Today News

Vietnam Veterans of America (VVA) Applauds Passage of Skelton Bill Ensuring Protection of TRICARE, VA health care, and CHAMPUS; Decries “Scare Tactics”

“We thank and applaud passage of H.R. 4887 yesterday in the House of Representative, by a vote of 403-0. Passage of this bill ensures that health care programs for veterans, active duty military, retired military, and their families/survivors will not be affected negatively by the pending health care reform legislation.” said John Rowan , National President of Vietnam Veterans of America (VVA). .

“It is unfortunate that some continue to raise what is now even more clearly a false alarm that is apparently meant to frighten veterans and their families in order to prompt them to oppose the pending legislation. While there is legitimate debate as to whether or not the pending health care measures should become law, VVA does not appreciate spreading rumors that are not accurate by any political partisan from any point of the political spectrum.” continued Rowan:

“Last summer there was a similar incident, also involving partisans in the health care reform debate that VVA soundly condemned. We said then: “It is our hope that sane minds reject fear-mongering, and that veterans recognize these scare tactics for what they are.”

Rowan concluded by saying: “VVA has always worked hard for justice for veterans of all generations, and their families. We have always, and will continue to, work with public officials representing all political parties and points of view. Issues affecting veterans and their families are not, should not, and must not become partisan footballs to bat around. VVA decries any effort, by anyone, that would do just that.”

---------------------------------------

Tricare Meets Health Care Bill’s Standards, Gates Says

Sec Def Gates Knocks Down Fox/VFW Report on Tricare

March 23, 2010

Joining the American Legion, DVA Secretary Eric K. Shinseki, the Congressional Veterans Affairs Committes’ Chairs, Secretary of Defense Robert M. Gates knocked down the report being pushed by Fox News and the Veterans of Foreign Wars erroneously suggesting that the Health Care Reform package would have a detrimental effect on veterans and active-duty servicemen and women’s health care through Tricare.

American Forces Press Service

WASHINGTON, March 22, 2010
– The Tricare military health plan meets the standards set by the health care reform bill the House of Representatives passed last night, Defense Secretary Robert M. Gates said in a statement issued yesterday.

Calling their health and well-being his highest priority, Gates reassured servicemembers and their families that the legislation won’t have a negative effect on Tricare, which “already meets the bill's quality and minimum benefit standards.”

“This was clarified by a vote in the U.S. House of Representatives [March 20], and is expected to be re-affirmed by the Senate,” Gates said in the statement.

“The president and I are committed to seeing that our troops, retirees and their families will continue to receive the best quality health care,” the secretary said.

http://www.dodvclips.mil/?skin=onecl...&autoplay=true

----------------------------------------

All the misinformation and downright lies being espoused by the likes of the VFW and FOX NEWS, etc. will come back to haunt these republican propagandists come this November. Mark my words.

Gimp

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

"I ain't no fortunate son"--CCR

"We have shared the incommunicable experience of war..........We have felt - we still feel - the passion of life to its top.........In our youth our hearts were touched with fire"

Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links