Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > Political Debate

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-27-2011, 11:11 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Thumbs up Fla. Rep. West’s Anti-Islam Comments Ruffles Feathers

Fla. Rep. West’s Anti-Islam Comments Ruffles Feathers

by AFRO Staff

• Florida Republican Congressman Allen West speaks, shown in this Oct. 2010 photo, has ruffled feathers recently with anti-Muslim comments. (AP Photo/Alan Diaz)

Tea-Party backed Congressman Allen West, R.-Fla., has stirred a bees nest with negative comments about Islam. West, appearing on the “Shalom Show,” told producer Richard Peritz that Islam was the “antithesis” of America’s founding principles.

At the outset of the 11-minute interview, Peritz asked West how he was going to deal with members of Congress he disagreed with, especially Rep. Keith Ellison, D.-Minn., who is a Muslim.

“Well I think it’s most important that I stand upon the principles [of the] people that elected me to go to Washington, D.C., and represent them on Capitol Hill,” West responded. “So that when you run into someone that is counter, or someone that really does represent the antithesis of the principles upon which this country was established, you’ve got to be able to defeat them intellectually in debate and discourse, and you just have to be able to challenge each and every one of their assertions very wisely and very forthright.”

According to various media reports, Ellison released a response to West’s comments; saying he was surprised as West had never expressed those views to him directly. Ellison disagreed with West's assertion that his religion precluded him from representing the principles of America.

“Contrary to the views expressed by Congressman West, I work to represent the highest ideals of our great nation – ideals like freedom of worship and respect for all faiths, equal protection under the law as well as a civil and open public discourse,” Ellison said.

“Americans across the country want their public servants to reject the toxic and corrosive chatter that yields more heat than light,” he continued. “I hope to have a productive and respectful dialogue with all of my colleagues, including Allen West.”

The recent comments are in stark contrast to ones made when West was sworn in to the Congressional Black Caucus. That day he acknowledged there would be differences between him and other members of the caucus, but said that all members just wanted what was best for America.

“You bring a different perspective, but I think we're all working toward the same end, which is what is best for our country and within the African-American community,” West told the Washington Post shortly after being sworn in.

This, however, wasn’t the first time West made comments about religion. Last March, West began a speech criticizing the “Coexist” bumper stickers, which display symbols of Christianity, Judaism, Islam and other religions and philosophies.

“And the reason why I get upset, and every time I see one of those bumper stickers, I look at the person inside that is driving,” West said as reported by ThinkProgress. “Because that person represents something that would give away our country. Would give away who we are, our rights and freedoms and liberties because they are afraid to stand up and confront that which is the antithesis, anathema of who we are. The liberties that we want to enjoy.”

West then continued on to say Islam was a “very vile and very vicious enemy that we have allowed to come in this country because we ride around with bumper stickers that say co-exist.”

American Islamic groups are denouncing West’s comments strongly, saying they are disappointed that an elected official would harbor such views.

“Congressman West’s statements against Islam are profoundly troubling,” said Corey Saylor, Government Affairs director for the Council on American-Islamic Relations. “I don’t think it reflects well on the office of a member of Congress.”

http://www.afro.com/sections/news/na...m?storyid=3898

sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2011, 04:47 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Islam is noted for preaching: "Freedom of worship & respect for all faiths"???
GET REAL!!!

Just try wearing a Cross or Star of David openly in Mecca or any other Muslim ruled city.

In The Real World or not usually purposeful to deceive Political BS World, Infidels will always be just Infidels to be used, slaughtered or just fair game for Islam,...just as before (re. SEVEN previous 100 Year Holy wars and/or Jihads).

This latest or EIGHTH Jihad is no different. It' just more High-Tech.

Neil