The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-11-2022, 12:26 PM

Post How did Veterans Day - become a holiday & why?

Veterans Day, in the United States, national holiday (November 11) honouring veterans of the armed forces and those killed in the country’s wars. The observance originated in 1919 on the first anniversary of the 1918 armistice that ended World War I and was known as Armistice Day. It was commemorated in 1921 with the burial of an unknown soldier from World War I at Arlington National Cemetery in Arlington, Virginia. Other countries that had lost soldiers in the conflict, such as Italy and Portugal, conducted similar ceremonies that year. The previous year, unknown soldiers had been interred at Westminster Abbey in London, England, and at the Arc de Triomphe in Paris, France. Veterans Day is celebrated on Friday, November 11, 2022.

November 11 became an official national holiday in the United States in 1938. In 1954 the name was changed to Veterans Day to honour those who had served in all U.S. wars. Ceremonies are held each year at the Tomb of the Unknowns, and floral tributes are placed on the graves of service men and women and at memorials throughout the country. Naturalization ceremonies have come to be an important part of the day’s activities.

In Britain, Canada, Australia, and France November 11 is observed in honour of the veterans of World Wars I and II. In Britain the second Sunday of November is observed as Remembrance Sunday, and in Canada November 11 is observed as Remembrance Day. In Britain and the Commonwealth countries and in countries of Europe, it is common to observe two minutes of silence at 11:00 AM on November 11, the time and date of the World War I armistice in 1918.

Poppies have long been associated with World War I memorials through the poem “In Flanders Fields” by John McCrae, and in several countries paper poppies are sold to raise money for the support of veterans and are worn in the lapel as a sign of remembrance.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In behalf of my family: Grand-Father John - US Army (WW1); (WWII) Dad US Army & Uncle(s): Lee - USN - WWII, Chuck USAF Bomber Pilot WWII - William(Bill) WWII Srg. - USMC (Korea) - WWII - Brother Larry US Army VN - Me: USN E5 - VN (12yrs).
Also had step Mother (Alphia) who was a Medical Amry Mgr. Nurse for wounded soldiers.
My Mom had no rating but worked switchboards for the military before the war ended and last me and married my Father Reno.
-
Their all gone now - (I'm next in the food chain) I'm the lone ranger passing on their deeds and sacrifices like so many others that we can remember. Don't say to us ever we never gave it our all.
-
I have two Daughters both married and have kids. (Many didn't get to that)!
My Grandson just graduated from high school - not sure what he's going to do right
now he's working my conversations with him was since he didn't know much of anything that maybe the a hitch in the service would get him motivated to learn some that would be useful in the service and bring that back to help him find work and get a decent paycheck - fast food operation is his current position since leaving school.
-
I told him great you can cook! Not sure what he wants to do but he's got to find
something that will offer him a good buck and with a future ahead of it! Daughter ate me new ass for telling him to sign up! It's better than running the streets?
Especially today. The military can teach you many things that will help you when
you do decide to leave the service - or you may like and stay in?
-
Boats

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links