The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-19-2008, 12:26 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Democrats introduce bills that would provide "a year in advance" va healthcare fund

Washignton (AP)....September 19, 2008

Sen. Daniel Akaka (D-Hawaii) and Rep. Bob Filner (D-Calif.), the chairmen of the Senate and House Veterans’ Affairs committees, on Thursday introduced bipartisan supported legislation that would ensure that injured soldiers returning from Iraq and Afghanistan have predictable medical care funding.

A coalition of veterans’ organizations has been pressing Congress for months to approve advance appropriations for medical care as part of the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) budget.

This would give the VA much more certainty over its funding, as it would know its budget a year in advance. For example, funding for 2010 would have to be approved this year.

Congress now appropriates VA medical care funds on an annual basis. Political squabbling has delayed VA funding in 13 of the past 14 years — something that has severely hampered the department’s ability to plan and manage its healthcare system, according to veterans.

Veterans’ groups say the change would ensure the agency could better handle the growing number of veterans who depend on the government for medical care.

More troops are surviving attacks on the battlefields of Iraq and Afghanistan thanks to improved equipment, but many return with traumatic brain injuries, lost limbs, severe burns or blindness that can make them dependent on VA care for life. Since many of those injured are only in their 20s, some will require decades of medical attention.

Veterans’ organizations and their supporters in Congress for years have pressed that the VA budget be mandatory entitlement spending, like Social Security and Medicare, as this would give the agency the most stability.

The groups have now shifted to pushing for the more realistic goal of advance appropriations — a first-time endeavor.

With one week remaining before Congress adjourns before the elections and only a chance of a lame-duck session afterwards, the likelihood of the legislation passing this year is slim. But this legislation is a symbol of the bipartisan support for a concept that Congress has not tackled before, supporters said.

The lawmakers worked closely with the Partnership for Veterans Healthcare Budget Reform, which is comprised of AMVETS, Blinded Veterans Association (BVA), Disabled American Veterans (DAV), Jewish War Veterans (JWV), Military Order of the Purple Heart (MOPH), Paralyzed Veterans of America (PVA), The American Legion, Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW) and Vietnam Veterans of America (VVA).

“For almost two decades, veterans’ healthcare funding has either been insufficient or late, and usually it is both,” said PVA President Randy Pleva. “While funding bills have increased in recent years, especially the last two years, they are still consistently late.”

The new legislation would also require the Government Accountability Office (GAO) to audit VA’s budget forecasting model and report to Congress and the public on the integrity and accuracy of the model.

Fifty percent of VA’s funding is for veteran benefits, which are mandatory entitlement spending.

The other half is discretionary and covers healthcare. The majority of that funding goes to medical care, while a small portion goes into construction, prosthetic research and veterans’ support homes.

-------------------------

And below is the PRESS RELEASE fron the Senate Veterans Affairs Committee:

--------------------------

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Contact: Kawika Riley (Veterans’ Affairs)

September 19, 2008 (202) 224-9126

SENATORS INTRODUCE BIPARTISAN BILL TO GUARANTEE ADVANCE FUNDING OF VETERANS’ HEALTH CARE

WASHINGTON, D.C.
– U.S. Senator Daniel K. Akaka (D-HI), Chairman of the Veterans’ Affairs Committee, was joined by a bipartisan group of Senators in introducing legislation last night to secure timely funding of veterans’ health care, through a process known as “advance funding.” Senators Olympia Snowe (R-ME), Tim Johnson (D-SD), Mary Landrieu (D-LA), Russ Feingold (D-WI), Ted Stevens (R-AK), Lisa Murkowski (R-AK) and John Thune (R-SD) joined Akaka as original cosponsors.

Under the bill, the Veterans Health Administration (VHA) would be funded one-year in advance. Currently, VHA is funded one-year at a time, and is too often the victim of delays and short-term budgets.

Senator Akaka said: “The Department of Veterans Affairs operates the largest health care system in the nation, but its funding is untimely and unpredictable. Advance funding for veterans’ health care is better for veterans, taxpayers, and VA. Funding would be set two-years in advance, enabling VA to make strategic long term decisions. I am proud to join bipartisan Congressional leaders and many of America ’s veterans service organizations in seeking to provide a more secure and predictable funding system for veterans health care.”

Senator Snowe said: “Healthcare funding for veterans is an issue that we cannot afford to delay with partisan politics and Congressional deadlocks. It is unacceptable that over the past six years, the Department of Veterans Affairs has not received its annual funding on average until more than three months after the start of the new fiscal year. This legislation will ensure that the brave veterans of our armed forces will receive the healthcare funding appropriated by Congress for the VA’s budget on time and in full.”

Senator Johnson said: "I have always been an advocate for timely and adequate funding for our veterans. I am proud to be a cosponsor of this legislation, which is another step towards ensuring our veterans receive the health care they’ve earned, when they need it, and without having to worry about what is going on in Congress. While I still support mandatory funding, I believe this may be the compromise we need to gain support from those that have opposed mandatory funding in the past. I applaud Senator Akaka’s efforts on this legislation.”

Senator Landrieu said: “First-class healthcare for our veterans is a basic right for our returning heroes. It is critical that the VHA get advance funding, as other government programs already do, to prevent delays and holdups in care for our veterans.”

Senator Feingold said: “I have been a long time supporter of mandatory funding for veterans health care because Congress is routinely unable to provide funding for the VA on time. By going the advanced appropriations route, delays in the annual appropriations process will no longer impact the VA ' s ability to get this critical funding to those who need it.”

Senator Stevens said: “This legislation will make sure the VA gets its money on time each year, so the health care needs of our veterans are always met. While my colleagues and I have sought to make sure the VA is properly funded over the years, that funding has frequently arrived late. If this bill becomes law, the VA will always have their health care funding on day one.”

Senator Murkowski said: “We demand much of the veterans’ healthcare delivery system in addressing the critical health issues presented by those who have just returned from Iraq and Afghanistan while at the same time continuing to serve the veterans of conflicts past. For 19 of the past 21 years, Congress has failed to provide the VA with certainty about its funding levels at the beginning of the federal fiscal year. There is considerable uncertainty over whether Congress will be able to conclude the VA appropriations bill before we leave this year. We expect the VA to step up and address health challenges like traumatic brain injuries, post traumatic stress disorders, the challenges of serving veterans in rural America and the unique issues that affect female veterans but make them wait interminably for the increased funding levels to which they are legitimately entitled. This is a budget process that must be reformed.”

Advance funding has been used to fund programs such as Section 8 housing vouchers, and the Low Income Heating Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP). Under the proposed legislation, veterans’ health care would go through the same process as these entities, thus securing timely funding without making VA health care an entitlement. The advance funding bill would also increase transparency in the VA funding process, by requiring an annual GAO audit and public report on VA’s funding forecasts.

The proposed advance funding legislation is also supported by The Partnership for Veterans Health Care Budget Reform, which includes the following veterans service organizations: AMVETS, Blinded Veterans Association, Disabled American Veterans, Jewish War Veterans, Military Order of the Purple Heart, Paralyzed Veterans of America, The American Legion, Veterans of Foreign Wars, and Vietnam Veterans of America.

-END-

Finally!......................"Bipartisan" efforts to address a long standing problem that has been adversly affecting veterans for years now. It appears this new Democratic led Congress may be finally finding a way to "reach across the aisle" and get some support from their Republican counterparts for a change.

Refreshing to say the least.

Gimp

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

"I ain't no fortunate son"--CCR

"We have shared the incommunicable experience of war..........We have felt - we still feel - the passion of life to its top.........In our youth our hearts were touched with fire"

Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-2008, 12:48 PM

Default Democrats and their honestly in crafting legislation

I just hope this legislation is not crafted the same way the Pelosi oil bill was--(drilling for oil off shore) way off shore 100 miles or more where there is no oil. Cuba,Venezuela, and other countries can drill 50 miles off our shore but not us.

For all us vets like I said I hope this is a honestly crafted bill not just a bunch of words that mean nothing..
Old 09-21-2008, 07:12 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default It's about frigin' time

Thanks for posting Gimpy....this has been a long time coming. Hope they get-r-done!

Pack

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)