The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Warfare > Warfare

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-08-2004, 06:26 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to BLUEHAWK
Distinctions
Contributor 
Lightbulb War - Brahmins in Power

Occasionally I allow myself what might be termed an "editorial" opinion on this Forum, though usually I prefer to report on what I find in other people's opinions that might have a meaning to us here.

But, this morning (Sunday) I read yet another comment by a respected pundit having to do with our current President being among the "Brahmin" class, i.e. the upper class of American society and culture... the comment was intended to be disparaging to the President, implying that because of his familial origins, everything he did while in office had to be suspect and understood from that vantage point if a "true" image of his administration is to be had by all.

Into my wandering curious mind came this following idea against such a premise:

It seems to me that the Brahmins are sometimes in a position to do better for us than upstart Populists, for this reason; They do not NEED the power or the economic benefits! The upstarts are more likely to rely solely upon emotion in times of stress, perhaps. Whilst a Brahmin knows, KNOWS, that either way it goes at least he and his family will be safe... therefore he can come from a place of self-assurance which is, in fact, an uncommon thing for those not in that position.

I cite examples such as the Kennedy, Roosevelt, Rockefeller and Bush clans. Like it or not, they each have given much to our nation, to the good. One has to believe that their major interest in public service is a certain level of personal comfort and legions of dollars or family members at their "six". Perhaps too is the age old taboo against violating family honor which is at work in their hearts and minds, moreso than might otherwise be among those not as blessed? To offer the alternative, looking at Nixon and Clinton who came from "humble birth", could it not be said that perhaps that fact alone gave rise to some of the misconduct for which they will always be reknown?

Naturally, this may also give them a degree of cocky arrogance... but in the end, would it not seem better to have an office-holder who has no or little fear of failure, than to have one who is attempting to use the Presidency (or Senate etc.) as a means of establishing their credibility or building a power/financial base?

I realize that it is often held that America exists because of a revolt against aristocracy... but that was a monarchic aristocracy, whereas ours today (and all through our history, eh?), has been amongst those who somehow built something outside the blood line inheritance guaranteed by a monarchy. What it might become in the future is a good question, but today the Brahmins seem to have access to resources of every kind, and the peace of mind (relatively) one would hope for in a chief administrator.

sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2004, 06:43 AM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

Bluehawk,

For the most part in the history of American presidents and general leadership, the wealthy have been our political and social leaders with a few notable expections (Lincoln and Jackson to name two). Even in the early days of elected colonial militia officers, the wealthy were elected because they were better educated and had the leadership experience that comes from owning a, or several, business(es). Even the old custom of "tipping your hat" comes from defering to a higher social rank (a military salute is a direct spin-off from that). The last time a Populist leader came close to the presidency was the election of 1896 when the Democrats and Populists closed ranks behind William Jenning Bryant against Republican William McKinley. The wealth and power of the Republican Party "won" the election for their man. But that's not to say that all the wealthy, educated people in those roles were good leaders. There have been the fair share of incompetent presidents who seemed to have had the proper pedigree. Presidential elections have been manipulated and won more by the strength of the party and the candidates charisma than by the candidates talent and qualifications. Look at Adolph Hitler. A true monster of a man but he had the charisma to take the entire world into war and he came from a very humble background.
Old 02-08-2004, 11:43 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to BLUEHAWK
Distinctions
Contributor 

Yup, seems so doesn't it Rev ... the thought just came to mind about how GWB gets so much heat for being a Skull and Bones etc etc etc, you know what I mean, doesn't seem to matter much in the end does it. But, there it is,
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote