The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > Warriors Saloon

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-24-2002, 08:16 AM

Default Regional Lingos

Scansinese

The "ah" sound in Wis-cahn-sin, becomes more of a short "a" sound as in cat. When saying the word Wisconsin, one forms the W with one's lips but never fully articulates it. What is heard by the listener is a very soft "Wuh" sound followed by a hard "Scansin." Hence the page name.

In certain European ethnic pockets of Wisconsin, you'll hear some of the following colloquialisms and pronunciations:

Side by each: juxtaposition. Example: "Go park dem cars side by each."

'N so?: A meaningless interrogative following a statement; perhaps a con-traction of another grammatical gem, "Ain't that so?" Example: "We're goin' to da store, 'n so?"

Go by, or come by: frequently substituted for "go to" or "come to" Example: ?Go by da store and buy some beer...den come by me.?

Bubbler: commonly known as a water fountain or drinking fountain in the rest of the free world. Example: ?I'll meet you at da bubbler after you go by da store, 'n so??

Hey: Yes, hey is used about everywhere, as in "Hey, whatcha doin'?" In 'Scansin, it becomes "Whatcha doin', hey?" ALT. VERSION: ?'der hey...Whatcha doin, 'der hey?? Usual reply: "Goin' by da store to buy some beer."

Stop to da Pig: Means you're going to stop "at" the "Piggly Wiggly" grocery store. Example: ?Stop to da pig, buy some beer, den go by me, eh??

Pop: What the rest of the country refers to as "soda" or "coke". Example: ?When you stop to da pig to get da beer, don't forget da pop, hey.?

C'mere once while you're up yet: Means could you get something for me while you're up, my legs seem to be painted on. Example: ?C'mere once while you're up yet, and go by da fridge and gimme a beer.?

Upside Right: Means to return an object to its correct position. Example: ?Oops, hey, I dropped dis beer on da way, so turn it upside right for a while before you open it.?

Stop 'n go lights: Red, yellow and green luminous devices that control traffic at intersections; known as traffic lights or signal lights in other parts of the U.S. Example: ?Turn right at da stop 'n go lights den stop to da pig.?

Start wit me last: This is used to tell a waitress to go on to someone else before taking your order.

Schmear and sheephead: Two card games, probably of German origin. You can watch these games and have them explained for years, and you still won't know the rules. Actual names being smear and sheepshead. You can also schmear in sheephead.

Hairs: Many 'Scansinites refer to their hair in the plural. Example: ?Didja get dem hairs cut?? ?Yah, der hey. I got 'em permed, too.?

Ainna: Another meaningless interrogative, it is ALWAYS followed by a question mark, and is ALWAYS at the end of a sentence; probably "isn't it?" by way of "ain't it?" Incredibly concise example: "Cold, ainna?"

Make Out: No, it's NOT what you're thinking! "I am from Chicago, but my husband is a native speaker and I would like to add an expression to your list. He doesn't put a fire out, he makes it out. When the Brewers get three outs, they also make out, meaning their turn at bat is over."

Once der hey: "You perhaps have overlooked "once der hey". Pretty common in Sheboygan. As in: ?I'm goin down to da bar once der hey.? Also... Did you know that in Sheboygan the person on the left has the right of way at a 4-way stop? Everywhere else the person on the right goes first. ?Ya hey, no kiddin!"

Tree - One word we do use a lot here is "tree", meaning three. Example: "Der's tree of dem guy's comin' up on Friday, and two more comin' on Saturday."

Twodersmall - Used when asking for something in quantity. Might be isolated to Central Wisconsin and small pockets of South Milwaukee Example: "Yah hey, I'll take a Point (beer), ah what da hell, gimme twodersmall!"

Then - Always add the word "then" to all interrogative sentences. Example: "When are you gonna go then?" "What are having for dinner then?"

I had a friend from Sheboygan who claimed that in his hometown they said, "Hey, ainna?" In Milwaukee it was, "ainnahey?" (similar to "ainso".) And how 'bout adding "hey once", as in: "Hey once, let's go down by Prange's".

Where abouts - used when asking for a directional reference. Example: Where abouts are you?

Itch - One thing I have noticed that she says, along with other members of her family, is that she uses the word "itch" instead of "scratch". For example, she says "Stop itching that mosquito bite".

Chu/cha -- Some Wisconsinites may say "youse" or "yuz," perhaps because, except perhaps for the South, someone everywhere says "youse" or "yuz." If I remember right, most Wisconsinites do say "chu" or "cha" as in "Whatchudoin'? and/or Whatchadoin?" It's possible some say "yu" or "ya" instead.

At all -- As in "Do ya want anymore coffee at all?" I was truly astonished not to find this already reported. On recent visits to Wisconsin, I've found it nearly ubiquitous - and I've never heard it anywhere else, except in a restaurant in Washington, D.C., recently, from the mouth of a waiter, just in from Wisconsin.

We Wisconsinites pronounce bag, rag, drag etc. with a very long "a" sound so it sounds more like baaag (with the "a" sound of cake).

Saying "come with", instead of "come with me". Example: "I?m going out to the store, do you want to come with??

Calling sweet rolls "bakery". "Go down by Schmidlers and get some bakery eh".

Using "dassent" rather than shouldn't. "You dassent drink my beer".

"Frying out" rather than grilling or barbequeing. "Let?s go get some brats and fry 'em out tonight for supper."

More "Frying out" - Sheboyganites do not barbecue, they "fry-out," and a favorite childhood meal of mine was "bake-dish with wieners," which falls into the same realm as hot dishes and casseroles.

And-what-not-all or just what-nat! ?Go down by Pranges and get some beer, chips, pop and what nat.?

How do you spell youse? (Scansin for you in plural.) ie: ?Youse guys want to come over for cards?? My husband is from Green Bay, but I contend this is not really a word.

Th should frequently be pronounced T - "Trow da cow over da fence some hay."

Anna: contraction for "and a". If you want more on this watch Lawrence Welk "Anna 1, anna 2". Examples: "Lets go by da bar T'ursday after work and get a shot anna beer der hey".

And one old one: Can't really explain it, but I do understand it - "Down by Schuster's where da street car bends da corner round."

"Hey, don't ya know", or "Don't ya know, hey".

Another one I noticed a lot, amongst my uncles and older cousins, is: "Yah, heard dat" It might just be a Prescott thing, but this is not at all atypical -- "Yah, dat Favre dere, he's a darn fine Packer." "Yah, heard dat.? ?Hey, go by da fridge and get me a Leinie's." "Alright alright. Ya lazy hoser."

People in Wisconsin don't say it "Oh - Kay"--that "a" is pronounced more like a short "e" and it comes out kinda like "Oh-keh." "Were you born in a barn?" That's what a 'scansinite says if you leave the door open on a cold day. I first heard this in 1988, and to this day I'm not sure what it means.

Up in the hinterlands a very common one is to end a sentence with "though" maybe like you southern folk use "ainna". ?That Brett Favre, he's played pretty good though.? Sort of a "don't you think" is implied, as opposed to a "however" that people might mean in other parts of the world. I have some friends from Wisconsin that always said "shtreet" and "shtraight", probably a German-Milwaukee influence as well.

Hey der, ya forgot just one thing. It's a little vulger, but it's super. When somebody sez something unbelieveable, youse gotta reply: ?Noshitdhuh?? Which is sayin' "No Shit Huh?", but ya see, it's actually one word in Wscansin. Hey,
dey really say dat up in da nort woods..no kiddin'.

Uniquely Wisconsin Foods

Friday night fish fry: The tradition of dining out on Fridays, no matter what you eat, is called 'Going out for fish'. This phrase originates from Lent, where Catholics are/were prohibited from eating meat on Fridays.

Fish boils: (not to be confused with staph infections of ichthyoid origin.) A very Door County tradition, where a large pot (like a witch's caldron) is placed over an open fire (outdoors), and large amounts of fish, potatoes and onions are boiled in heavily salted water to a proper state of doneness. The final step: kerosene is poured over the boiling water and ignited. This burns off the fish oils to prevent a 'fishy' flavor and imparts one of petroleum distillates instead. Probably a Viking tradition -- as they tended to burn everything.

Fried Cheese Curds: A uniquely Wisconsin trait, "If it doesn't move (fast enough), deep fat fry it!"

Booyah: (You did what in your pants?) A popular dish for church suppers, church picnics, and similar functions. A thick chicken soup, almost stew. Apparently originating from the French 'bouillon', little is known (by us, anyway) about the origin of the word or dish.

Sweet Rolls: Cheeseheads call 'em "sweet rolls". According to Mary Anne, "They're donuts, darnit!"

Hot Dish: A term used to describe a casserole or any other hot one-dish dish; any respectable dish contains at least one can of Campbell's Cream of Mushroom soup, and either crumbled potato chips or canned onion rings as the topping.

Sloppy Joes (Spanish Hamburger). In Manitowoc, Wisconsin, they call sloppy joes "hot tamales", and they all like "broasted" chicken, which is pressurized deep-fried chicken -- loaded with fat, but delicious. A famous dessert is called "knee caps:" they are fried donuts with cream on top.

There is also an invisible Mason-Dixon line separating north and south 'scansin. The only way to tell is to ask them their favorite store ? if they answer "Fleet Farm" they're from da North, if "Farm and Fleet" they're from da South.

The heavy (no pun intended) Germanic influence took its toll on the pronunciation of the letters "th." These, them, and those frequently sound like dese, dem, and doze.

Vowels in 'Scansinese - These are tricky. One must learn to pronounce these letters with an Upper Midwest nasal twang not heard in the rest of the country. Only Yoopers and 'Sotans can do it as well as 'Scansinites.

The letter "o" - The short "o" sound, as in frog, was discussed above. The long "o" sound as in toad, is difficult to master for the non-native. This sound almost becomes two syllables -- an "oh" sound followed by a soft, short "i. "The result is toh'-id. The terminal "oh" sound also becomes two syllables, an "oh" followed by a short "uh." Example: the word "no" comes out "Noah." This is especially confusing to little boys with a particular Old Testament name. See other examples below.

The letter "u" - The short "u" as in underwear, is pronounced the same as everywhere else, unless you're talking to a Norwegian, but that's a whole 'nother' story. The long "u" sound, especially when it is the terminal sound, as in YOU, almost becomes two syllables -- yoo'-ah.

The "ow" sound - The "ou" and "ow" combinations are perhaps the most troubling for the non-native to understand. The word "house" comes out rhyming with "dose." The word "vowel" comes out sounding like "voh' el." This is especially confusing in the company of small rodents. (If you don't get it, look up vole.)

Yah = Yes
No'-ah = no
Mwaukee = our largest city
Koont = Couldn't
Woont = Wouldn't
Dint = Didn't
Up nort = Up north, or to a vacation cottage, no matter which direction. In
some regions, one goes Up Sout and Down Nort.
Shawano = Shaw-no (Everywhere else = Sha-wa-no)
Gillett = Jill'-ette (accent on first syllable) (Everywhere else = Jill-ette', like the shaver)
Melk = Milk (really)
Doh-wint = Don't (Two syllables and a louder DOH for more emphasis.)
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-2002, 06:51 AM

Jeff, sounds like the way it is in the U.P. of Mich. Northern MN. is similar too. Must be an upper midwestern thang. "Go with." As in I'm goin to town. Wanta go with?
Old 11-29-2002, 11:28 AM

drywall...be very careful when you are in the U P of mich, especially during deer
hunting season...that's where hunters all go...and if you don't believe me just ask anyone who's been in the hugh traffic jam...talk about WOW...
Old 12-03-2002, 02:53 PM

Default CULLENCY.

An Asian walked into an ANZ bank in Auckland with 2000 yen and received $72.00

The following week, he went in with 2000 yen and was handed $66.00.

He asked the teller why he got less money than he got the previous week.

The lady said " Fluctuations."

The Asian man stormed out, and just before slamming the door, he turned around and said " Fluc you Kiwi's too".
Old 12-03-2002, 03:09 PM

The lady said " Fluctuations."

Reminds me of anudder story.

But first...........

Da UP, Drywall? Yeah, hey, dere!

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

YOOPER DICTIONARY (Similar to 'Scansinspeak)

Yoopers are those residents of the U.S., largely of Finnish and other Scandinavian descent, who reside in the Upper Peninsula (U.P.) of Michigan (De Yooper Peninsula.)

A

Affected Time Zone Disorder
This is a problem suffered by those Yoopers who live on the Central/Eastern time zone line in the southwestern section of da Upper Peninsula. Four counties in da U.P., Menominee, Dickinson, Iron and Gogebic, operate in the Central Time Zone. Those who live in this area are often heard to say, "Is that my time or your time?"

Apple Knocker
A person from the Lower Peninsula. Usually a hunter who likes to hunt in da U.P.

B

Babysit
That yellow stuff in diapers.

Beer
Da Yoopers favorite drink.

Big Bad John
Sixty foot statue of a miner that welcomes you to the Iron Mountain iron mine tourist attraction in Vulcan, Michigan.

Black Ice
It's not in your drink! It's the kind of ice you don't know is on the road until your car starts to go out of control!

"Breakwind"
Nickname given to the student newspaper "Northwind" at Northern Michigan University.

C

Canucks
Canadians (name most often heard in Sault Ste. Marie - "Da Soo")

Cheesehead
A native of the neighboring state of Wisconsin.

Choppers
A deer skin mitten with a wool mitten insert. What Yoopers wear to keep their hands warm. Choppers are also part of Yooper active wear that include a Chuke and a pair of Swampers.

Chuke
What the Trolls call a stocking cap. A knitted hat usually with a tassel and usually hand knit by your grandmother. Pronounced "Chook, Sounds like book" or "Chuke, Sounds like puke." (see also "Touke").

Crawler Gear
4WD Low gear in a four-by-four; used for inching or crawling along in treacherous terrain.

CHP
Crawling Home Puker

Cudighi
A hamburger-like sandwich with a spicier meat, mozzarella cheese and tomato sauce.

D

Da Bears
Da NFL team Da Yoopers hate the most!

Da Camp
Where male Yoopers go each Fall - Hunting Camp; usually means deer camp.

Da Doo Wop Malt Shop
Da ultimate place to go for 50's style malts, sodas and ice cream treats. Enjoy 50's style decor and juke box. Located at the top of the hill in Norway, MI. Turn right at the top of Norway Hill and follow signs.

Da Locks
The Locks system in the St. Mary's River in Da Soo. Very beneficial maritime navigational aid for shipping, and a source of confusion for Fudgies (Why are the Locks built here? Why weren't they built someplace where more people could see them, like Detroit or Chicago?)

Da Mitten
Another nickname Yoopers have for da Lower Peninsula.

Da Pack
Da NFL team dat da Yoopers love da most!

Da Soo
Sault Ste. Marie, Yooperland. Right across the border from Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, Great White North.

Da Yooper Bowl
This football game was played for the first time in 1996 in California. It featured Steve Mariucci's California Golden Bears against John Ralston and San Jose State. (Mariucci is a native of Iron Mountain. Ralston is a native of Norway, Michigan.)

Da Yoopers
Not only means the inhabitants of Michigan's UP, but also the name of one of the most popular bands in da U.P.

DNR
The organization most responsible for the extinction of native brook trout in Yooperland. Also known as the Department of No Results.

Dippin'
To go smelt dipping. Especially on the first weekend of the smelt running at the Days River outside Gladstone.

Dreaded Dash of Death, The
When you try to cross US 41 by the Yoopers Tourist Trap and not get killed by a boss beer truck.

E

Edmund Fitzgerald
Iron ore carrier, steaming out of Duluth, that sank 15 miles off of Whitefish Point with all 29 hands on 10 November 1975 during a hurricane-force gale on Lake Superior. Also the inspiration for Gordon Lightfoot's tribute, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald."

Eh
A word that ends practically every sentence in the U.P. (example: "Say ya to da U.P., Eh!").

Eino
Half of famous Finnish duo Toivo and Eino. Many, many yooper jokes feature Toivo and Eino!

F

Fifteen-two
The game of Cribbage

Finglish
The official language of Da U.P. Examples- Dese, Dem, Dose, and De Udders (and De Udders ain't on De Cow!)

Flatlander
A person from the lower peninsula (see also "Loper" and "Troll").

Flivver
Nickname of Kingsford high school sports teams. It comes from the name given to a Model A Ford that was produced in Kingsford in the 1920's.

Fudgie
Affectionate term for tourists (usually Trolls) who buy massive amounts of homemade fudge while on Mackinac Island and at Da Locks in Da Soo.

G

Gaas (as spoken in Crystal Falls)
Da stuff dat makes cars and lawn mowers go.

Give 'er tarpaper
To work feverishly, something Yoopers are famous for.

Going Shop-ko (or Co-op)
Yooper phrase meaning "Going to the store."

Greater Michigan
What Trolls call the Lower Peninsula.

Great White North
Canada.

H

Head 'er For Sagola
Let's paint the town red!

Heikki Lunta
In Yooperland mythology, the god of snow.

Hematites
Nickname of Ishpeming high school sports teams. Comes from a type of iron ore mined in the Ishpeming area.

Holy Man!
Not used to describe a clergyman, but rather as the ultimate Yooper exclamation. Used when a mere "Holy Whaa" doesn't suffice. The A-bomb of Yooper exclamations.

Holyowha
Yooper expletive meaning, roughly "Holy _______!"

I

IGA
Da Grocery Store

J

Jumbo
Quart of beer you drink while sittin' on da porch and listenin' to da Tigers.

K

Knockin' Pine
"He's spending Saturday night without a date!"

Kromer
The historical old-fashioned hat with ear flaps and a flannel lining worn by loggers and miners in photos from the U.P. boom years. Made by the Kromer company in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, and still sold in select fashion emporiums in the U.P. A favorite of Yooper outdoorsmen.

L

Lambeau Field
Mecca for Yooper football fans. Located in Green Bay, Wisconsin. Home of the 1995 Central Division champion Green Bay Packers! Yoopers have been known to bow toward this structure three times daily!

Lats
Skis, usually homemade.

Loper
Native of the Lower Peninsula of Michigan (see also "Troll" and "Flatlander").

M

Marble Orchard
Cemetery.

The Mining Urinal
Nickname given to the Marquette County newspaper The Mining Journal.

Modeltowner
Nickname of Gwinn high school sports teams.

Motor City Madman
See Ted Nugent.

N

Nine-O-Six (906)
God's area code (the area code for all of Yooperland).

Noseeums
Tiny gnats capable of driving strong men insane.

O

Overseas
Anything sout' of da Bridge.

P

Packer-Backer-Maki
Budweiser drinkin?-snow machine ridin'-snow suit wearin?-Skoal chewin?-Green Bay Packer fanatics.

Pasty
Finnish (or Cornish, depending on who you want to believe!) meat pie made with onions beef and potatoes. Many variations on the basic recipe have been created. Some include rutabaga and cayenne pepper. The pasty was introduced to the U.P. by immigrants in the 1880's. Best to buy those that are made in da U.P. Those made elsewhere don't taste nearly as good. If it's made below the Mackinac bridge, don't buy it unless a certified Yooper has prepared it!

Pine Mountain Ski Jump
One of the world's best 90 meter free-standing ski jumps. Since 1939, has held annual ski jumping tournament. In 1996 held World Cup ski jump event; the first one in United States since 1990. Masahiko Harada of Japan set a new hill record with a jump of 459 feet, a jump that also tied the North American Ski Jumping record. Pine Mountain Resort is also a great place for recreational downhill and cross-country skiing. Located in Iron Mountain.

Pre'ner
Stands for "pretty near" as in: There were pre'ner tirty bucks out by da camp! Or, We're pre'ner Felch now.

Q

Quill Pig
The native U.P. porcupine.

R

Raha
Money or other medium of exchange.

Ralph
A small community in Da U.P. Also means to drink too much and toss your cookies!

RAM-ing. Running amuck.
Out for a road trip or a day of heavy duty shopping!

Rest Stop
Public bathroom near the highway. (rare in Yooperland)

S

Sail Rabbit
Delicacy enjoyed by diehard Yoopers. Actually it's the flattened rabbit (or other varmint) you find on the highway that just missed making it across US 2 with the rest of his bunny friends. The more vehicles that have run over it, the better! After peeling off the road let dry on the front porch or in the back of your pickup truck. When dry, sail it through the air like a frisbee.

Seney Stretch
The "Seney Stretch" is an approximately 18 mile stretch of M-28 from Seney to Shingleton. This stretch is a straight line run along the northern boundary of the Seney Wildlife Refuge. There are lots and lots of trees here, but not much else. The only notable road that intersects it is the Crieghton Truck Trail. This is nothing but a rut road in the finest tradition.

Side By Each
Standing next to each other. As in, "Der dey were; towsands of deer standing in da field side by each!"

Sisu
The quality possessed by Yoopers which enables them to endure and even enjoy Yooperland winters.

Sitt
Manure.

Skeeter
A large native insect known to suck small animals dry. Rumored to be Yooperland's 'state' bird. Distant cousin to the domesticated mosquito found in other areas.

Skunk Beer
It's the kind of beer that, after you have opened one and taken a sip, you realize why it was on sale for $2.99 a case! It can also make you wonder how they got the skunks to stand still and pee in the bottles!

Smart Pills
Rabbit droppings, in Yooperland legend said to increase intelligence.

Smelt'n
Fishing for smelt. Dip nets are often used. The Days River near Gladstone is a good place to go smelt'n.

Snow Cow
Moose (or mother-in-law).

Snow Tank (also Snow Boat)
A big old rusty car, preferably a large Dodge, Chevy or Plymouth from the 1960's 70's or early 80's with at least 140,000 miles on it that gets about 7 miles to the gallon. When a snow storm and bad roads shut down other cars, these cars will get you to your destination. Radio, heater and windshield wipers optional. Also looks better if you have a coat hanger for an antenna and are missing at least one hub cap.

Sparklers
If a Yooper is caught wearing an extremely white pair of socks he is said to be sporting a pair of Sparklers!

Speed Beef
Those four legged critters with white tails and antlers that run in front of your car and freeze in the headlights. Best served as sausage or smoked jerky.

Stop and Go
What a traffic light is called in the U.P.

Sugarbeeter
Another term (old 1940's) for a flatlander.

Suomi Kutsu
The longest running Finnish-American television show in America. Hosted by Carl Pellonpaa, it airs on WLUC-TV 6, on Sunday mornings. Suomi Kutsu is Finnish for "Finland Calling."

Swampers
Rubber boots worn by Yoopers in the spring during the muddy season. (Not a winter boot.)

T

Taught
The past tense of Tink

Ted Nugent
Rock and roll legend and wildlife guru to Yoopers. Believes in the spirit of the wild and the preservation of wilderness paradises like the upper peninsula. Also goes by the names: Whackmaster, Uncle Ted. Like most Yoopers, Ted won't back down and won't take crap from anybody!!! One of the few downstaters that has been adopted into the great white north Yooper society! His album "Spirit of the Wild" and songs like "Fred Bear" epitomize the feelings of those who are fortunate enough to live in the U.P.

Terrorist
People from Detroit or Ohio who visit the UP every November.

Tinking
Yooper mental process, usually done with the aid of a cigarette and a cup of coffee (or a beer).

Tip Up Town
Once winter sets in and the ice thickens on the UP?s many lakes ice fishing shanties start to appear on the lakes creating tip up towns. A "tip up" is a small fishing pole used for ice fishing.

Toivo
The other half of "Eino and Toivo". These Finnish names come up in many a Yooper joke!

Touke
Pronounced: Chouk. A winter hat worn by a Yooper, similar to a stocking cap (see also Chuke).

Trasher
Yooper party where everyone brings a bottle of booze and pours it into a trash can for all to share. A brand new trash can is recommended but not always used!

Tree
The number after one and two. Used mainly by older Yoopers.

Trenary Toast
No cup of coffee or tea is complete without a piece of Trenary toast to dunk into it. It's a hard cinnamon toast that people are willing to drive miles and miles for.

Troll
Refers to a native of the Lower Peninsula of Michigan (see also Loper and Flatlander).

Turd
Comes after first and second. Used mainly by older Yoopers!

TV 6 WLUC
For people without cable, it's the link to the outside world! Over the years people have referred to it as "With Luck U C TV!"

Tweener
Someone who is constantly running between home and da camp!

U

V

W

Wayne Fontes
#1 cause of heartburn and ulcers among Dee-troit Lions fans in da U.P.! Now used in the past tense!

Wha!
An exclamation used only by Yoopers. used in place of "WOW!"

Where's the flood???
Translation: "Your pant legs could be lowered a few inches!"

X

Y

Ya Know?
Yooper phrase meaning "Do you agree?"

Yah, Hey!!!
You've got to be kidding me! I don't believe it!

Yooperland
The territory north of the Mackinac Bridge.

Youbetcha
Yooper phrase meaning, "Yes, without a doubt."

Youse Guys
You guys. Often used to refer to more than one person, i.e. "Are youse guys going smelt'n tonight?"

Z
Old 12-03-2002, 03:53 PM

Jeff, ask your wife if she ever went jezz band dancing down by da car bends.
Here are a couple of things they say in Northern maine: Dooryard, upstair, flush and der me. APut it all together, and you can say 'I'm going upstair to da flush, and den downstair and into the dooryard, der me." A very proper response to this is "Oui oui oui".
A lot of the Scansinese sounds like it came out of "How to speak Minnesotan". A VERY funny book!
Old 12-04-2002, 03:20 AM

wazza my friend...the difference between
$72 and$66 to any bank is called
PROFIT...nuttin else!!!
Old 12-05-2002, 04:18 PM

--- Subject: Ya Gotta Be From Buffalo

A Texan, an Arab, and a guy from Buffalo are out riding horses. The
Texan pulls out an expensive bottle of whiskey, takes a swig, then
another, and suddenly throws the bottle in the air, pulls out his gun and
shoots the bottle in mid air.
The Arab looks at him and says, "What are you doing? That was a
perfectly good bottle of whiskey!"

The Texan says, "In Texas, there's plenty of whiskey and bottles
are cheap".

A while later, not wanting to be outdone, the Arab pulls out a
bottle of oil, throws the bottle in the air, pulls out his gun and shoots
it.

The guy from Buffalo can't believe this and says, "What did you
do that for? That was an perfectly good bottle of Oil"

The Arab says "In my country there's plenty of oil and bottles are
cheap."

So a while later the guy from Buffalo pulls out a bottle of beer.
He opens it, takes a sip, takes another sip, and then chugs the rest.
He then puts the bottle back in his saddlebag, pulls out his gun, turns
around and shoots the Arab.

The Texan, shocked, says, "Why did you do that?"

The guy from Buffalo says, "Well, in Buffalo, we have plenty of
Arabs, but bottles are worth a nickel ."
Old 12-05-2002, 05:12 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Talking We speak English in its purist form.

Here in the state of Washington we speak only the best and purist form of English, even purer and with better grammer than those from jolly 'ole' England.

Keith

Choke . . .
Gag . . .

Well at least once in awhile we do.