The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-03-2007, 07:44 PM

Distinctions
Special Projects POM Staff Contributor 
Exclamation sn-e3 where are you?

Chris, call us & let us know status.....we worry!!

The Deshutes is about level with the walking path........hows the Sats?

FYI:

Most major roads in southwestern Washington's Grays Harbor and Pacific counties were closed, and virtually all roads into the coastal city of Aberdeen were cut off, officials said.

"In 30 years of law enforcement, it's as bad as I've ever seen," said Grays Harbor County Sheriff Michael J. Whelan, whose own truck was smashed in his driveway by a falling tree.

Telephone and other communications were so tenuous that it was impossible to determine how many people were forced out of their homes, said Abby Kershaw of Oregon Emergency Management.

Amateur radio operators said they were trying to help with communications as Oregon's Columbia, Clatsop and Tillamook counties experienced spotty or absent telephone service.

Pacific Power reported 40,000 homes without power in Oregon, and it could be days before electricity is fully restored, the utility said. Transmission poles 100 feet tall were toppled, and large sections of lines lay on the ground.

"The ground is saturated from intensive rainfall and trees are leaning into power lines and dropping to the ground," the utility said in a statement.

The Grays Harbor County Public Utility District in Washington reported 33,000 customers without electricity. Two of the utility's workers were injured, one seriously, when a windblown tree hit their lift truck bucket, sheriff's deputy David A. Pimentel said. Repair crews were pulled off the streets early Monday because of the hazard, utility officials said.

The Weather Service issued flood warnings in Oregon for seven coastal rivers and two inland. The storms curtailed state government functions, as driver's license and employment offices in Columbia County filled with flood waters.

In southwestern Washington, one man died when a tree fell on him as he was trying to clear one that had been toppled, said Grays Harbor County Sheriff Ed McGowan. Another died of a medical problem after the power went out, he said.

More than 3 inches of rain fell in six hours Monday morning at Shelton and Bremerton, Washington, the Weather Service said. That brought Shelton's 30-hour total to 5.72 inches.

"There's nothing. You can't get in or out," homeowner Yvonne Powers said in the southwest Washington town of Pe Ell, on the Chehalis River.

In Olympia, the rain turned a small creek into a roiling, muddy surge that tore through a wall at the Ranch House BBQ. Tables and booths were strewn across the street, and a storage shed was pushed about 300 feet away.

Christy Romo, who lives just uphill from the restaurant, said she could hear the floodwaters coming and started packing before the first floor of her cabin was inundated.

"I knew I wouldn't have much time," Romo said. "I heard a bang, and then saw the water rising quickly."

In Oregon, the twin systems fell most heavily on the northern part of the coast, where crabbers hoping to get the first of the season's Dungeness crabs stayed in port.

The Coast Guard station in Astoria lost communication with its command center, and the service launched a C-130 Hercules plane from Sacramento, California, to patrol the northern coast and handle distress calls.

The high winds snapped a 206-foot Sitka spruce that had shared honors with one in Washington for the nation's largest. It had attracted 100,000 visitors a year.

"The tree will now die," state forester Paul Ries said. "It's a sad event, but not unexpected. It's part of the natural cycle of the tree."

People in the Midwest began bracing for the Northwest systems to move their way even as they dug out from a storm that hampered travel over the weekend. That system moved into the Northeast on Monday and has been blamed for more than 15 deaths, mostly in traffic accidents.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-2007, 08:30 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Batten down the hatchs!

Here's hoping and praying that Chris, David, Bern, Tom, Kath, James and all the other folks in the far northwest are weathering this storm in safety!

Keep us posted.

Gimp

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

"I ain't no fortunate son"--CCR

"We have shared the incommunicable experience of war..........We have felt - we still feel - the passion of life to its top.........In our youth our hearts were touched with fire"

Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:33 PM

Distinctions
VOM 

Well maybe I should take a drive down there and see if I can find him (wonder if I should bring a boat)?
Old 12-04-2007, 05:19 AM

Distinctions
Default Yeah

Hey MarineAO! Bring a boat for sure! They got hit real hard out there. The rivers are going to peak at 10 am the morning. Ugh

I still cant belive how much rain there has been.....

B
Old 12-04-2007, 05:36 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default I Wondered!

If any of you Washington folks were involved with this. Now I know. Here's hoping everybody is ok and we are praying for a good outcome.

Pack

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
Old 12-04-2007, 05:49 AM

Distinctions
Default Map of Damage

Chris would have taken the brunt of this. Olympia & Tumwater got hammerd but not as bad. We are waiting for the rivers to peak.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf damage.pdf (282.1 KB, 7 views)
Old 12-04-2007, 07:00 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Effects of the storm.

Ellensburg is 100 miles east of Seattle.
We got a foot of snow out it, then warmed up and rained. Lots of flooding. Winds were normal. Not much over 25 mph. Just lots of Water. I'm going to the VA today for my Semi-Annual Check Up. We'll see how bad it is.

Keith
Old 12-04-2007, 06:33 PM

Distinctions
Default welp

We drove out to Chris's place, well we drove as far as we could get.

The beginning of there street

Oh yeah they dont have power, now we know why.
Attached Images
File Type: gif 1.gif (159.4 KB, 6 views)
File Type: gif 1a.gif (150.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: gif 2.gif (157.8 KB, 6 views)
Old 12-04-2007, 06:46 PM

Distinctions

really no power
Attached Images
File Type: gif 4.gif (176.8 KB, 7 views)
Old 12-04-2007, 06:47 PM

Distinctions

The river is high, very high
Attached Images
File Type: gif 5.gif (165.0 KB, 7 views)
File Type: gif 6.gif (172.1 KB, 5 views)